Menu

Apple tv

We're getting ready to move overseas and I was wondering if any of you have experience with Apple tv. I'm wondering if between that and Netflix we could have a semi-normal tv experience while in Germany. I've heard that their shows tend to be a bit more "free" than I'm comfortable with, and well, in German. :001_huh:

Friends of ours have it and love it. Of course, you have to still rent the tv shows & movies from itunes, so factor that into the cost. Also check if Netflix is available in Germany or not, and if the titles available are very good or not; until a month ago you could not use your Apple TV for Netflix overseas; they are expanding, but check what titles are available.

You might also, if you are able, talk to the people where you'll be moving; here in Brazil the local cable company does carry channels that have US programming and the ability to switch languages to English; there might be something like that in Germany as well.

Another option is Slingbox, which is a device that slings US programming to your TV anywhere in the world; requires a good internet connection and I think has to be plugged in to a dedicated cable line in the US, so you'd have to have someone in the US willing to "Host" your slingbox for you. But doesn't have the rental fees for programs that Apple TV has.

Lastly, DVDs of your favorite shows. Stock up on TV series you've been wanting to watch, have heard might be good, etc. Best if you can start watching something now that you've never seen before but that has lots of seasons available; buy those and take with you. But if you are already current on TV this is harder to do.....

The Apple TV does work well if you don't mind the extra cost of renting stuff. Oh, and you might be able to rent stuff at a local video store there in Germany, DVDs of TV shows. Not as current as apple offerings, but still. Just another thing to consider.

I think slingbox would be a fantastic option for you so long as you have someone (like your parents) who would be willing to keep it for you. We have ours plugged into a separate PVR. We can tape programs and access them remotely through slingbox, but we can also watch TV as it's happening remotely through slingbox. The cool thing is that you can watch it on your iPhone or iPad as well. But you do need good internet access.

We love our Apple TV. Love it, love it, love it.

We use it to play our Netflix, and find it's easier to navigate that way than it was with the Wii. But the PP who said you might need to check to see if you can do that overseas has a good point.

Once in a while we rent movies or shows from iTunes, but not that often.

We also use the AirPlay option quite a bit. We play videos and music from any of our macs, and other Apple devices onto the TV. Our kiddo makes videos all the time using our iPhones, so this is a big option. We also AirPlay Pandora stations, and audiobooks.

We love our Apple TV. Love it, love it, love it.

We use it to play our Netflix, and find it's easier to navigate that way than it was with the Wii. But the PP who said you might need to check to see if you can do that overseas has a good point.

Once in a while we rent movies or shows from iTunes, but not that often.

We also use the AirPlay option quite a bit. We play videos and music from any of our macs, and other Apple devices onto the TV. Our kiddo makes videos all the time using our iPhones, so this is a big option. We also AirPlay Pandora stations, and audiobooks.

Pandora doesn't allow you to listen outside the US, but this AirPlay sounds like a very cool feature!

Apple TV offers connections to all that Apple has on iTunes, Netflix, a couple other specialty channels and access to all the content you have on iTunes on your computer. Currently Apple TV doesn't connect to Hulu or Amazon Prime streaming.

What I've heard from friends stationed overseas is that you can get lots of US TV via the AFN system (free to military). Also-Hulu offers their plus service to military overseas if you set it up in advance.

Keep in mind that lots of the internet services decide if you may receive service based on either the isp address you connect from or from where you hold your account (ie country of billing). You want to check in advance.

All that said-I love my Apple TV. If you don't need to connect to your iTunes you might consider a Roku box.

Apple TV offers connections to all that Apple has on iTunes, Netflix, a couple other specialty channels and access to all the content you have on iTunes on your computer. Currently Apple TV doesn't connect to Hulu or Amazon Prime streaming.

What I've heard from friends stationed overseas is that you can get lots of US TV via the AFN system (free to military). Also-Hulu offers their plus service to military overseas if you set it up in advance.

Keep in mind that lots of the internet services decide if you may receive service based on either the isp address you connect from or from where you hold your account (ie country of billing). You want to check in advance.

All that said-I love my Apple TV. If you don't need to connect to your iTunes you might consider a Roku box.

except that Netflix limits things outside the US. Only a month ago did they start allowing it in Brazil, and the available shows are very limited. She really needs to check with someone in Germany about whether or not they have full content, and if there's any military work-around such as with Hulu (that is awesome the military can get Hulu outside the US).

Most internet based offerings decide based on IP address. Amazon seems to be the only one basing it on billing address, in my experience. Well, and iTunes relies on US billing address *and* US credit card or gift cards.