Menu

S/O post homeschooling-what would be some practical career choices?

Probably many of us are looking at having to work after homeschooling is done.

What would be some relatively easy (I realize this is subjective) careers to do after that? Ones with not a ton of schooling required, plenty of job availability, suited for an "older" person, etc?

Right now, with no schooling/experience behind me, I'd probably only be qualified to work in retail, which I wouldn't want to do!

There is nothing I really *want* to do as a career after homeschooling. I would really rather just stay home, but that may not be an option.

I mostly just commit it all to prayer, and the Lord's leading. But maybe there is something out there I could get excited about doing after hs'ing?

Tutoring sounds great! I always thought you needed a teaching degree for that! Is it really just one of those certifications? And if so, what is there to getting the certs? (maybe I can just google)

I really love teaching, so that would be a nice choice for supplemental income.

Also the fee-based co-op classes, but that would only be enough for very supplemental income, I would think.

What about if one needed to work full-time? (I won't have any Social Security-didn't work enough hours, plus who knows how dh's health will be-he is ten yrs older and has had some health issues.)

This is what I do. I'm a speech-to-text transcriber for deaf and hard of hearing university and high school students. I love my job. There is a training program that lasts 4-8 weeks that's relatively inexpensive ($400). In my case, our local university hired me, paid for my training and then gave me 2.5 years of experience (at what I consider to be a decent pay). During this time I had to walk/drive to campus to work for a student in a classroom, and I worked 4-12 hours a week.

This last spring, I got connected with two companies that provide remote speech-to-text service, so now I work from home and I'm making twice what I was making before. I am currently working 27 hours a week and it's enough to pay for our family's expenses; my husband is homeschooling the kids while still taking on the occasional project (he's a handyman). I hope to be able to do this for quite a few years. While I know the remote work sounds "better" (hours/income), you really do need to have in-person experience to get good at providing this service before making the step to remote work.

For you, or anyone interested, there are two ways to approach getting into this business: Contact the schools near you to see if they provide the service (or would be interested in doing so) and try to work through them for the training and experience, OR pay for the training yourself and go through the course, then market yourself to schools and others. Getting started in this business would be the hardest part, but the income potential is good and the future need for this service is as well.

I have no idea of the job availability for this, but I've been thinking lately that I'd quite like to go into proofreading when I am finished homeschooling. I have a bachelor's degree already and could maybe do a couple of correspondence courses to solidify my grammar and proofreading skills. Then I thought that the work could be done from home. A publisher could e-mail or snail mail a draft to me and I could send it back after I've finished. I've not researched this enough to know if it's feasible, but I still have several years before I'd be in a position to start work again.

I like the sound of Milovany's career as well. Eleven years of homeschooling have taught me, though, that I do not want to take on tutoring as a career. I can teach my own children because I love them so very much. I don't love other kids enough to put in the time and effort. :tongue_smilie:

Tutoring sounds great! I always thought you needed a teaching degree for that! Is it really just one of those certifications? And if so, what is there to getting the certs? (maybe I can just google)

Here is the info on becoming a certified Barton tutor. Here is the info on becoming a certified Wilson tutor.

Thanks, Crimson Wife! :)

Milovany-sounds really interesting! In fact, I used to be a court reporter. Would never go back to it-too stressful trying to get it down verbatim. Is transcribing stressful? I read the site you linked, and it seems better since it's meaning for meaning.

Milovany-sounds really interesting! In fact, I used to be a court reporter. Would never go back to it-too stressful trying to get it down verbatim. Is transcribing stressful? I read the site you linked, and it seems better since it's meaning for meaning.

Yes, that's right, it's meaning for meaning. Completeness and accuracy are a goal, still, and you're processing differently in your brain to summarize quickly. It's definitely a challenging skill to learn. But you're also not in a legal situation where lives/livelihoods might be on the line. (I had the opportunity to transcribe a deposition recently -- not as the official transcriber, but for a deaf person who would be in the room -- and it kinda freaked me out). Plus, it's fun! You get to sit in on some fun/interesting classes.

Ah, so you know what I mean about the stress then! Also, I realized I was bad at it because I am a VISUAL learner-so I was always having to take the auditory and visualize in my mind the placing on the keyboard before hitting the keys, which made it even more stressful. I imagine this might have the same problem for me, unfortunately?

Ah, so you know what I mean about the stress then! Also, I realized I was bad at it because I am a VISUAL learner-so I was always having to take the auditory and visualize in my mind the placing on the keyboard before hitting the keys, which made it even more stressful. I imagine this might have the same problem for me, unfortunately?

Yes, I suppose it's possible although you're reading what you're typing as you're typing -- real English words (visual). Does that help?

By the way, I didn't word what I said before correctly. I had the opportunity -- but it didn't work out. So I didn't type in that stressful situation. But university level Organic Chemistry II is no piece of cake!!! :001_huh::D

The future for this field, I think, is good. The best untapped "demographic" is senior citizens. I went to an STT conference in the spring, and it was discussed that places like senior centers (open to the public) would actually be required by law to provide this type of service to anyone who would want it. It'd be hard to be the one to apprise them of that (and then ask for a job), though. But I think of my dad: An active 73 year old man who has lost his hearing in the last 10 years. I have been doing this job for almost 3 years now, but it was only recently that I got to transcribe for him. It was at his and my mom's 50th anniversary party and I transcribed the toasts. He LOVED it. He told me after, "I haven't been able to fully be a part of things like that for so long; I followed everything that was going on. Thank you!" That was great.

Edited by milovaný

Agh-the idea of Org Chem scares me more than Family Court!! Mentally for me that field might just be too close to what I did before-and was so traumatized. I'd have to look into it more-it still sounds interesting!

How wonderful about your dad! It would be a blessing to be in a career like that that is helpful to people! (other than greedy lawyers, etc)

I've been recently looking into Admin/bookeeping type of online courses for certification. Many of these jobs can either be part-time or work from home and a quite good pay (at least around here)

Another one is freelance editing/writing etc.

Hopefully I'll be a qualified music teacher in the next 5-6-7 ish years...

I got my real estate license. It's a brutal business in many respects, but it's also a blast and a half. I'm in a decent market, so that makes a difference. Within a couple more years I'll be making real money...if not, I think Starbucks would make a good career. :D