Menu

(Very) Early AoPS users?

StephanieZ

We've been using it about a month with my 8yo dd. Book only as I want to go at dd's pace, not a class. She'd completed 4th grade math and was bored. We do AoPS PreA in conjunction with challenge problems such as Math Olympiad and some "easy" math review days. We may break an AoPS lesson over a couple days and only do a lesson a week.

It has been great for dd and really upped her enthusiasm. For the very young, I think I would start with it as a "supplement" and if it goes well you can transition to using it full time or full speed. I don't think I would jump into using it as the only program until you are sure dc is ready for that.

I think younger kids are often like my dd: likes a challenge, but also needs lots of "easy" math to maintain her confidence. It's a real balancing act with her -- too easy (like the 5th grade math curric) she hates math and is bored. Too hard and she gets discouraged or overwhelmed. It's all about finding the sweet spot in between. :p

Who is using PreAlg this year? Us! We just started.

How young? Newly 10

Using the class online or just the book with you? Just the book. I think the classes would move too quickly for him.

What was the math background prior to the class? DS is doing SM 5B, along with several other curricula. What can I say? He loves math and I love math curricula. :tongue_smilie:

How is it going? Wonderfully! We're only just starting our second week, but so far we both love it. I was a bit unsure about using because my older children have used AoPS and I know how challenging the books are, but DS is lapping it up.

Reports PLEASE!

I am contemplating it for my soon to be 9 year old. Of course, it depends on the child, but I think it would be within the range of a mathy 9yo.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I don't have more experience.

Thanks, ladies, for your input!!

I pulled the plug. I just enrolled dd8 (soon to be 9) in PreAlg in a section starting Nov 17 . . . being taught by none other than: RICHARD RUSCZYK (AoPS founder/author/math god)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318358

Can you believe it??

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Come one, come all, I'd love to have some other WTM families there!

FWIW, to answer my own questions from this thread:

dd8 (soon to be 9, 3rd grade) has done all the Miquon books, and SM up through 5 (currently), along with a few of the IP & CWP books. It is all insanely easy for her the last year or two, and so I am looking to step it up a notch. She loves math.

She aced the pretest, and she is very excited. I can't wait to see the books and get started on it with her.

I think the opportunity to take a course from such a true genius is just not something to be passed up. Otherwise, I'd likely have self taught this level, but she is so not-challenged by any school work right now, I am happy to devote extra time and energy to keeping up with the class as needed, so we're going with the class.

I have some trepidations about doing anything different from what we've done before, but I am stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new! (My 12 yo is doing SO well with C&P! I want this experience for all my kids!)

WOOT!

Thanks, ladies, for your input!!

I pulled the plug. I just enrolled dd8 (soon to be 9) in PreAlg in a section starting Nov 17 . . . being taught by none other than: RICHARD RUSCZYK (AoPS founder/author/math god)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318358

Can you believe it??

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!

Come one, come all, I'd love to have some other WTM families there!

FWIW, to answer my own questions from this thread:

dd8 (soon to be 9, 3rd grade) has done all the Miquon books, and SM up through 5 (currently), along with a few of the IP & CWP books. It is all insanely easy for her the last year or two, and so I am looking to step it up a notch. She loves math.

She aced the pretest, and she is very excited. I can't wait to see the books and get started on it with her.

I think the opportunity to take a course from such a true genius is just not something to be passed up. Otherwise, I'd likely have self taught this level, but she is so not-challenged by any school work right now, I am happy to devote extra time and energy to keeping up with the class as needed, so we're going with the class.

I have some trepidations about doing anything different from what we've done before, but I am stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new! (My 12 yo is doing SO well with C&P! I want this experience for all my kids!)

WOOT!

Your enthusiasm is absolutely making my day. Your daughter will love the class. LOVE it. Mr. Rusczyk is a superb teacher (actually, all the AoPS instructors we've encountered have been excellent), and he's used to dealing with the younger kids. Online, nobody has to know if a kid is the youngest in her class. It's very liberating.

And were your WOOT references coincidence or a sly joke (WOOT is the AoPS Olympiad training class :))? Either way...WOOT!

Your enthusiasm is absolutely making my day. Your daughter will love the class. LOVE it. Mr. Rusczyk is a superb teacher (actually, all the AoPS instructors we've encountered have been excellent), and he's used to dealing with the younger kids. Online, nobody has to know if a kid is the youngest in her class. It's very liberating.

And were your WOOT references coincidence or a sly joke (WOOT is the AoPS Olympiad training class :))? Either way...WOOT!

No, WOOT wasn't a sly reference, lol. I hadn't noticed that! :)

Thanks for your affirmation. Enthusiasm is something I have in spades, lol.

(actually, all the AoPS instructors we've encountered have been excellent)

:iagree:

Oldest ds is taking his 7th AoPS class this year. All of the instructors have been great.

Dd10 is taking the pre-algebra class and is currently working through Chapter 5. She completed the elementary Singapore series and Hands-on-Equations prior to AoPS pre-algebra.

DS started AoPS Intro Algebra 1/3 of the way through 4th grade when he was 9 1/2. He had completed up to SM IP 5B. There was no Pre Algebra back then (2 years ago).

The first year was tough because the level of work was a big jump and he had never had prealgebra. But HE wanted to do it. I kept trying to get him to switch to a different Algebra book (NEM or Jacobs), so we muddled around a bit that year. Not a complete waste, but boy would the prealgebra book have been useful! He only completed 4 chapters, but he was self teaching (would not let me even talk to him about math) and he did ALL the challengers! yikes! poor kid.

So starting in 5th grade, we laid out a schedule for him to finish the book in 2 years. It is more like 1 1/2 years of algebra, and there are other young kids on this board who have found 2 years for Intro Algebra a better match. He is in 6th now and on chapter 16, and it is absolutely the perfect book for him. He works on it 1.5 hours 4 days a week.

For next year for your child, be aware that the Intro Algebra online class moves VERY fast, and you and the child must be willing to dedicate significant hours each week (like 10 to 15 I have heard).

Ruth in NZ

For next year for your child, be aware that the Intro Algebra online class moves VERY fast, and you and the child must be willing to dedicate significant hours each week (like 10 to 15 I have heard).

Ruth in NZ

:iagree:

The pace of the Intro to Algebra class is much quicker than the pace of the pre-algebra class, and I also second the weekly time commitment needed for the online class that Ruth stated in her quote.

We've been using it about a month with my 8yo dd. Book only as I want to go at dd's pace, not a class. She'd completed 4th grade math and was bored. We do AoPS PreA in conjunction with challenge problems such as Math Olympiad and some "easy" math review days. We may break an AoPS lesson over a couple days and only do a lesson a week.

It has been great for dd and really upped her enthusiasm. For the very young, I think I would start with it as a "supplement" and if it goes well you can transition to using it full time or full speed. I don't think I would jump into using it as the only program until you are sure dc is ready for that.

I think younger kids are often like my dd: likes a challenge, but also needs lots of "easy" math to maintain her confidence. It's a real balancing act with her -- too easy (like the 5th grade math curric) she hates math and is bored. Too hard and she gets discouraged or overwhelmed. It's all about finding the sweet spot in between. :p

It's great to hear about someone using AoPS Pre-A as a sort of "supplement" to their regular math. My DS is bored with SM also; he's almost done with 4A and my guess is we'll complete 5A or maybe even 5B by summer 2012 (we do the IP and CWP too). I had been thinking in some recess of my brain that I'd like to use AoPS Pre-A but use it as a fun, challenging addition a few times a week, keeping SM as our spine (particulary the CWP). My son too needs his "easy" math to balance out his "challenging" math. I think if he did ONLY Pre-A next year he'd miss out on the confidence-building of 5th-6th grade math, so I totally agree: finding a balance is key.

Yes, that is a bit of an issue with moving young kids into the AoPS online classes. I enrolled my DS11 in the Algebra this fall, and even though the math was exciting and understandable (although it looks like it gets very challenging very quickly), the workload was daunting and overwhelming.

We decided to drop the class for now and finish up his Thinkwell and Life of Fred pre-algebra (at a more intense pace than before, as sort of a "work hardening") and try the Algebra class again in the spring.

If you're just using the book at your own pace, then it's not an issue, but the classes (and related readings at a chapter a week, problems, alcumus and challenge set requirements) add a level of intensity that might be more suitable to a high schooler.

YMMV

My ds9 (almost 10) just started the online pre-algebra last week. We had gotten the book in August and he loved the problems even though they are very challenging but he is excited about it. He is doing another extremely challenging online class and has really stepped up to the plate so when he was interested I went ahead even though I am not completely sure about it. It is only the second week but he has been enjoying Alcumus and working hard so I am hopeful he will retain his enthusiasm.

Who is using PreAlg this year?

How young?

Dd8 is using it.

Using the class online or just the book with you?

Just the book, with me.

What was the math background prior to the class? How is it going?

She had finished the Key To... series, including Key To Algebra, and we were planning on starting her on competition materials (as we had done with dd15), until we learned that AoPS had a textbook series out. (Dd15 had done the 2 volumes of AoPS back when that was what they had.)

So we were chugging along, working slowly through Intro. Algebra (which, despite having done Key To Algebra, is still quite exciting for her), Geometry, and Counting/ Probability, and using Saxon as review. When Prealgebra came out, we decided to ditch the Saxon and use Prealg. for review, which had proved to be a fabulous idea. She's going through it pretty quickly. She especially loves making up proofs of arithmetic concepts.

We still supplement with competition materials from time to time [ETA: Oh, and Alcumus of course, which has greatly expanded from back when dd15 used it!], and also work on computational speed and accuracy with an old (1920s, pre-calculator) textbook series that has some pretty frightening number-crunching expectations (and some good techniques).

We still supplement with competition materials from time to time [ETA: Oh, and Alcumus of course, which has greatly expanded from back when dd15 used it!], and also work on computational speed and accuracy with an old (1920s, pre-calculator) textbook series that has some pretty frightening number-crunching expectations (and some good techniques).

Please spill the beans on the 1920s series! We'd love to work on that.

Who is using PreAlg this year? DS

How young? 9

Using the class online or just the book with you? Book with me

What was the math background prior to the class? MUS Alpha through Algebra, some Math Olympiad

How is it going? ok. We're only in the first chapter since we just started. I made the mistake of letting him do it on his own. Grading his work showed me that he was getting the answers right but not getting the point of the lesson (ie. doing all that math rather than using the definitions to see the easier way). So, we are working on going through the chapter together. I'm expecting it to take some time to get used to problem solving since he really hasn't had any to this point. We're moving to AoPS 4 days a week and letting him spend Fridays doing Alcumus or Khan Academy (he loves the latter and just got signed up on the former today).

Reports PLEASE!

I am contemplating it for my soon to be 9 year old.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how the solutions of the sample questions are explained. They remind me of geometric proofs, which I loved when I took geometry. I emphasize the proof side of the solutions because I think getting used to seeing definitions/rules to explain how they got from one step to the other now will make geometry much easier when we get to it.

DS's attitude about math seems to be the same as ever. He doesn't seem to be more enthused, but we're also still in the learning curve. I love them, though. I just wish I had more time.

Standard Service Arithmetics. You know it must be worthwhile if the NCTM hates it.

It appears from the article that the criticism is a lack of geometry. That seems a valid one if the book is the only text used. It may be a perfectly good text for teaching arithmetic, but I agree with the article's author that children ought to also study geometry.

It appears from the article that the criticism is a lack of geometry. That seems a valid one if the book is the only text used. It may be a perfectly good text for teaching arithmetic, but I agree with the article's author that children ought to also study geometry.

I disagree. His clearly stated objection is that they are insufficient for "today's world" in which "both mathematics and the world have changed." He agrees with a critique that the texts should include "integration, manipulatives, group learning, and technology," and faults them for lacking not geometry per se, but

geometric knowledge with some understanding of a global positioning system, an understanding of probability and odds to make sense of lotteries, and capabilities in data analysis to make sense of environmental problems, stock and money markets, and the mathematics found in the pages of USA Today.
Even if his chief critique of the text is lack of geometry, it's then a dishonest criticism, as the text is, as it describes itself, an arithmetics text. Geometry was taught using separate textbooks. But that doesn't seem to be where his real dislike for the text (and other example texts he names) lies.

I particularly want to hear from you if you use AoPS Pre-algebra with a young one and then follow it up with Intro to Algebra. I'm curious how the transition will go - ie, if they do fine with the Pre-Algebra, will Intro to Algebra be ok, or are they different as far as difficulty goes (beyond just the difficult of Algebra vs. Pre-Algebra in general)?

We'll likely finish up MM6 around the end of 3rd grade or beginning of 4th, so that would put us in Pre-Algebra in 4th (I'm not planning to skip 6th grade math).

So you Pre-Algebra users, be sure to check back in when you get going with Intro to Algebra! :D:lurk5: