Menu

CHINA: Toddler Hit By Truck--and Passersby Do NOTHING to Help

I made it through the video with my hand over my mouth, gasping...until I saw the person pick up the child and watched her FLOP onto the ground like a rag. I dont' care what they law says...I wouldn't have been able to watch her lay there like that and do absolutely NOTHING! But then again..WHERE WERE HER PARENTS???????? I was never 5 feet from my toddler and I definitely never left either of them on a busy street for 9 minutes while I looked elsewhere/did something else!!! Maybe the video said where they were, but I can't read nor speak chinese.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what happens when society stops valuing human life.

You know you are going to get slammed for saying this, so before that starts, just want to say that I agree. When we were in China, this was my and my husband's strong impression: human life does not have the value there that it does elsewhere. YES, there are exceptions, yes, there are many loving parents, but as a whole, society seems to value human life very little.

Terri

PRECISELY!!! It is a slippery slope, and it's scarey to think that that is where it can lead. :(

:iagree:

THIS!!!! I can't believe it! My husband and I were just talking about how we wanted to buy non-Chinese for a whole year to support more American made products...let's just make that a lifetime!

Good luck with that. I often think that too, but I fear it's nearly impossible. Even "American Made" goods are made with parts imported from elsewhere.

astrid

WHERE WERE HER PARENTS???????? I was never 5 feet from my toddler and I definitely never left either of them on a busy street for 9 minutes while I looked elsewhere/did something else!!! Maybe the video said where they were, but I can't read nor speak chinese.

I don't know, but kids do wander off without parents knowing it - everywhere on earth.

Maybe she was supposed to be napping or something. Maybe Grandpa was watching her and dozed off. Maybe the mom had been searching for her.

One thing about the "one-child" policy in China is that folks don't get childcare experience with younger siblings/nieces/nephews. Perhaps this puts them at a disadvantage as parents. Or maybe this was just one of those things that could have happened to any parent.

First how in the HECK did the truck not see her??? She didnt dart out she was right in front of him for awhile and he didnt even try to stop.

Second...this is the most horrific thing I have ever seen. All of it. From the van to the person that picked her up to help.

No words. I just saw a youtube video where A DOG ran into traffic to drag another dog that had gotten hit and pulled it to safety. And then today I see this..............

I also find it disgusting that anyone would want to watch either live or digitally any human being much less child being killed.

Since I watched, you will find me disgusting, and so will probably not care what I have to say, but I think it is important to consider what caused so many people to ignore this this child's predicament. You cannot appreciate the extent of the depravity exhibited there without watching the video and seeing so many people pretend not to see her, or obviously see her and move on anyway.

Terri

Oh my. I just read that the van driver told the media that he'd only have to pay a little $ if he killed her, but far more if she were only injured. I guess that explains why he saw that he'd hurt her and THEN proceeded to run over her slowly with his rear wheels.

Wow. What humans are capable of never ceases to amaze me.

Also....when I saw the "rag lady" about to pick her up....I was thinking, "Don't do that!" ....of course, she didn't pick her up, she just flopped and dragged her. But then the mom....she just yanks her up too. Do they not know to not move a severely injured person like that??

They probably don't know, but anyway, the other option would be to stand there and protect her. I wonder whether the next truck driver would hesitate to run down the rag lady rather than find another driving route. After all, she's just an old woman.

Since I watched, you will find me disgusting, and so will probably not care what I have to say, but I think it is important to consider what caused so many people to ignore this this child's predicament. You cannot appreciate the extent of the depravity exhibited there without watching the video and seeing so many people pretend not to see her, or obviously see her and move on anyway.

Terri

Do you really think you needed to watch that video to understand there is a sick legal precedent in China that leads to passersby watching a child die without helping?

Do you really think you needed to watch that video to understand there is a sick legal precedent in China that leads to passersby watching a child die without helping?

Brought on by a 50+ year of a sitting communist government.

I'm anti-Red Scare, but one must look at how communism changes a culture over time into something usually much less than it was before. No one has voted for any of these laws we're lamenting. But we don't have to live under them. They do.

I watched the video because I decline to judge others based on second-hand information.

You know you are going to get slammed for saying this, so before that starts, just want to say that I agree. When we were in China, this was my and my husband's strong impression: human life does not have the value there that it does elsewhere. YES, there are exceptions, yes, there are many loving parents, but as a whole, society seems to value human life very little.

Terri

Has lead to a turning-in towards the family. I'm talking about the history before the Communist revolution.

Justice was familial: if one person did wrong, then the emperor punished the perpetrator's whole family. With joint guilt came a feeling that only family mattered, that, in the words of Mrs Thatcher 'There's no such thing as society.'

Confucianism, the underlying philosophy of Chinese society, includes the concept of benevolence. In practice, however, duty has been more stressed. This duty tends to have been expressed in vertical terms: filial piety, duty to the emperor, etc. Horizontal duty has been less stressed.

Not excusing the events, just trying to give some background.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Yes. People lie. People exaggerate. People leave out details. How many times have I read on these boards that "we are probably not getting the whole story"? Well, now you are getting the whole story, and it is important to take advantage of that opportunity.

Yes. People lie. People exaggerate. People leave out details. How many times have I read on these boards that "we are probably not getting the whole story"? Well, now you are getting the whole story, and it is important to take advantage of that opportunity.

I may not be able to count how many people actually stood by as this child died, but I have a pretty good idea of what happened without watching the video.

You think what you will. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours. Watch the video to your heart's content.

As I noted above, yes. I do not, however, feel the need to characterize anyone who disagrees with me as "disgusting," or "naive," or "weak-willed" or anything else.

Terri

As I noted above, yes. I do not, however, feel the need to characterize anyone who disagrees with me as "disgusting," or "naive," or "weak-willed" or anything else.

Terri

I never said anything about naive or weak-willed. I do think it is disgusting that the video was made public and I do think it is disgusting that so many people feel the need to watch a child die. I can't help how I feel. I am sorry you are offended. At the same time I'm highly offended that the video is available. I suppose we will both have to get over it.

Terri

I am crass enough to watch the video, but still kind enough not to name-call someone who disagrees with me. I'll settle for that.

I am crass enough to watch the video, but still kind enough not to name-call someone who disagrees with me. I'll settle for that.

I never called anyone a name. I can't help I find the fascination so many people seem to have with watching that poor child disgusting.

I never called anyone a name. I can't help I find the fascination so many people seem to have with watching that poor child disgusting.

Why do you assume fascination?

I hesitated to watch it after seeing all the warnings. But in the end, I felt it wrong to form an opinion about people or a culture without seeing with my own eyes. And at the same time, I felt it would be wrong to just blow it off as "oh who knows what really happened." Honestly, I'm glad I watched it. Not because it gave me a thrill, but because it gave me more information than I otherwise would have.

I obviously respect your decision to not watch it.

But your continued need to put down those of us who did makes me wonder if you need to do that to bolster your own choice in your own mind. Or wonder what else might motivate such comments. After all, even if you think I shouldn't have watched, I can't un-watch it now, can I?

I hesitated to watch it after seeing all the warnings. But in the end, I felt it wrong to form an opinion about people or a culture without seeing with my own eyes. And at the same time, I felt it would be wrong to just blow it off as "oh who knows what really happened." Honestly, I'm glad I watched it. Not because it gave me a thrill, but because it gave me more information than I otherwise would have.

I obviously respect your decision to not watch it.

But your continued need to put down those of us who did makes me wonder if you need to do that to bolster your own choice in your own mind. Or wonder what else might motivate such comments. After all, even if you think I shouldn't have watched, I can't un-watch it now, can I?

I'm not sure why you are taking my opinion so personally. I never once said, "SkL is disgusting for watching the video of a child being killed." I said I find it disgusting that anyone would want to watch a video of a child being killed. I find it disgusting that it is available for public consumption.

Do you see the difference?

I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours. I don't have a need to put anyone down. I do not feel superior or bolstered by my decision not to watch a child dying on video. I think it is sick and disgusting that people in general would voluntarily watch a child being run over by a vehicle numerous times - for whatever reason. I don't need to watch that to understand that the man who did it thought it would cost him less monetarily to make sure the child was dead. Do you think I need to watch that video to understand that or that the customs and laws of the people involved are sickening? I don't.

No, you can't unwatch it. I'm sorry you have those images in your head for the rest of your life.

I kinda agree with you. I almost watched it until I saw that she died. Just so that I could understand HOW those people could possibly just pass by. Maybe they didn't notice, etc. I just can't wrap my mind around it. :(

This was my reason, as it is for consuming most news stories, negative or not; however, I still couldn't stomach it enough to watch it all the way through. I do feel it's important to judge things with as much of the original facts as possible. Frankly, I didn't expect the video to be as bad as it was, but I'm not sorry that I watched it, and not because I enjoyed it in any way or because I enjoy seeing a young child suffer.

I have a *thing* about not discussing news or stories until I've gotten as much first-hand information as possible. And I feel that some things, especially human rights violations, should be watched or read about for the sake of our ability to truly empathize with other people's suffering. We have pored over graphic photos, books and numerous videos/movies about the holocaust for this very reason. Not because it is titillating or "fascinating", but because society needs to be well informed on the subject. To some extent, I suppose there can be a fascination with evil, and trying to understand what motivates people to do the things they do, however horrific they may be. Certainly there is no fascination with human suffering involved here, and a person would have to be a psychopath to find enjoyment in such things. Considering the definition, I have to think a few of the people in that video are psychopaths.

And, yes--it was a security video. No one actively recorded it, that I know of. I'm happy it was recorded. I hope the people who are in that video showing the depth of their depravity are brought to justice in some way. I don't have much hope for that, since we're talking about China here.

I kinda agree with you. I almost watched it until I saw that she died. Just so that I could understand HOW those people could possibly just pass by. Maybe they didn't notice, etc. I just can't wrap my mind around it. :(

I do not think it can be understood unless you know the culture just a bit. If it will cost one's children to suffer - truly suffer such as starvation and lack of decent housing - because one helped someone else's child (who should have never been where she was in the first place) one really has to decide who's child is the priority. Sadly this poor little girl lost out.

Well Parrothead, just remember that a lot of people hate North Americans based on hearsay too. Maybe being told that because I'm American, I must have lost my virginity by age 13, etc., has made me a bit more careful of believing what I hear. Or maybe it's the fact that I have a close friend who defected from China. I also spent 10 days touring China a few years ago. I know there are serious problems over there, but found it hard to believe it could be this bad.

I have friends who live in Taiwan, which is very similar to China, and they said many people aren't willing to help in some part because if the person dies, they are responsible for caring for them in the afterlife. Ancestor worship and worship of the dead is very prevalent, and if one is attending to someone when they die, they are held responsible for that person in the afterlife. That involves providing food (actual food is provided) as well as money (spirit money is burned for this). If the provisions are not handled appropriately, spirits of those who have died do not take it lightly.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Chinese beliefs of afterlife, but it was mentioned that it was why many are reluctant to help in accidents.

That's interesting, because sometimes religious beliefs can supercede or even replace human compassion with a separate set of "morals." What they won't do for one reason, they will do for another "religious" reason. I don't know if that's laying aside personal morality out of loyalty to deity or acquiescence to a lack of morality in the name of religion.

There have been some court cases in China where people who stopped to help accident victims then had to pay part of hospital costs etc. it was in the BBC story.

So, yeah, that is pretty bad, but there are also some very possible negatives for those who do help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15331773

And I have been told not to stop and help at accidents or intervene in situations on the street because I could get sued or it could be a scam etc, etc. I live in the US, btw. I don't think it is an uncommon conundrum to be caught in.

I read the comments here and there about negatives to those who help. How desensitized do you have to be in order to step over or around a dying child, no matter what negative outcomes might be possible?

Well Parrothead, just remember that a lot of people hate North Americans based on hearsay too. Maybe being told that because I'm American, I must have lost my virginity by age 13, etc., has made me a bit more careful of believing what I hear. Or maybe it's the fact that I have a close friend who defected from China. I also spent 10 days touring China a few years ago. I know there are serious problems over there, but found it hard to believe it could be this bad.

I don't think news articles from reputable news organizations as hearsay. I got enough general idea of what happened from the linked article. I don't need to count exactly how many people stood around and watched. I don't need to know what color clothing the lady wore when she attempted to move the child from the street.

Really if we can't believe our reputable news organizations without watching every horrendous act that occurs what is the point of having them? And who has time to watch all the evilness that occurs daily in our world?

Can we believe anything that happened the first 5 thousand years of human history? Can Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe their holy books? There was no video at the Crucifixion. There was no video of the Resurrection. Nothing digitally recorded of Mohammed, Moses or Lao Tzu. Nothing from the American Revolution. Maybe we shouldn't believe anything we've been told since we haven't been able to watch it ourselves.

I think it's a horrific video - one of the most shocking and sad I've ever seen. But I don't think it's a reflection on anyone's character that they watched it. I actually think it's actually probably GOOD this was put on the news in China. Maybe people will think twice before walking past someone who needs help if only because they don't want to see their face on the news in that context. The original truck driver couldn't have not seen that child.

I've traveled around the world (including to China and other parts of Asia), and the U.S. really white washes death, suffering, and war much more than other parts of the world in the media. Another cultural difference IMHO.

I watched it when I thought she had survived. :( Now that I know she died, I wish to God I hadn't seen that!

Me too. I'm not sure why I watched---Maybe I was wondering how so many people could walk by...Did the driver not see her?...etc. But now I truly wish I had not seen that. I will NEVER get those images out of my head.

I read the comments here and there about negatives to those who help. How desensitized do you have to be in order to step over or around a dying child, no matter what negative outcomes might be possible?

I know, the thing that gets me is that these people acted like the child was more of an inconvenience than anything else. The first guy hardly even stepped aside, apparently didn't even look down. Was it against their religion for someone to call for a cop or ambulance? As for the little girl whose mom dragged her around the hurt child - I wonder how long she will have nightmares, as she too is a worthless female?

The child was still moving. Who knows but maybe she was even crying. How could you not at least call for emergency assistance, or for the child's mother? Would they not want someone to do the same for their child?

Maybe she was going to die anyway, and these folks didn't want to interfere with her fate. But wouldn't you at least go try to give the child some comfort, or prevent her from being run over again?

Hmm...why has the topic shifted from the sad death of a child to whether or not people are disgusting to watch a video?

My dh travels to China occasionally and this thread has been enlightening. I told him about it and we talked about how horrible it would be if he were one of those passersby. I am pretty sure that the law or ramifications would not keep me from helping the God that I serve openly, in a country where freedom is bought at a high price. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if any of those factors were to change.

Hmm...why has the topic shifted from the sad death of a child to whether or not people are disgusting to watch a video?

I'm sure it was my fault. I couldn't keep quiet about how I felt. I'm bowing out now and the thread can continue on about the horrific death of a child.

I don't think news articles from reputable news organizations as hearsay.

Really if we can't believe our reputable news organizations without watching every horrendous act that occurs what is the point of having them? And who has time to watch all the evilness that occurs daily in our world?

Can we believe anything that happened the first 5 thousand years of human history? Can Christians, Jews, and Muslims believe their holy books? There was no video at the Crucifixion. There was no video of the Resurrection. Nothing digitally recorded of Mohammed, Moses or Lao Tzu. Nothing from the American Revolution. Maybe we shouldn't believe anything we've been told since we haven't been able to watch it ourselves.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't blindly believe what I hear even from "reputable" news sources. Surely you have noticed how many different ways the same information can be spun. And the news will report something as "Q said XYZ" which may be true - Q said it - but Q may be full of ----. The media has been very clear in their position that they are not responsible for checking the veracity of what they report. And they all have agendas. If I hear something important in the news, the first thing I do is see how the other media outlets are reporting it (US and foreign if applicable), and see if there is any common ground. If there's a video, I watch it. If I only hear it from one side, I don't treat it as "fact." It goes into the "I heard someone say" category, and I generally won't make a judgment based on that type of information.

As for the ancient books - same thing. If the Romans and the Greeks agreed on something, it has more credibility than if just one guy said it. Did Moses get everything right? Maybe. That doesn't actually matter to me, as I am more concerned about the underlying realities/philosophies than the details. Whether I agree or disagree with what went on in Sodom is also rather unimportant to the world today.

I do not think it can be understood unless you know the culture just a bit. If it will cost one's children to suffer - truly suffer such as starvation and lack of decent housing - because one helped someone else's child (who should have never been where she was in the first place) one really has to decide who's child is the priority. Sadly this poor little girl lost out.

I don't know. Do you really think that those people were making conscious life and death decisions about their own children and had to choose their own child over the toddler in the street? Or were they simply illustrating amorality?

Is there no way to call for emergency services in China, even if you can't personally assist someone? No way to stop in the middle of the street and yell for a child's parents? No possibility of standing there with a cell phone and calling the police, even if you can't touch the child? I confess, I've never been to China. All that I know about China is contained in what I have seen and read. I don't even have any friends who are Chinese. I have a small group of friends and acquaintances who are Bhurmese, but they would bristle if you mistook them for Chinese, so I'm not sure that helps. I am terribly uneducated on Chinese culture, and most of what I know about China is bad, except for the food.

What parts of the culture assist in understanding this event? The Nanjing judge? The perceived inferiority of girl children? Taking responsibility for the dead? (I'm just repeating the ones I've read on this thread so far....) Are you thinking of something else?

Interestingly enough, I can understand your "disgusted" response; conversely, I was a little disgusted with myself for not having the stomach to watch the whole thing. I almost felt that I was doing that little girl a disservice by not viewing her suffering in its entirety. Regardless, I have NO intention of going back to completely view the recording; I thought I was going to puke as it was. I do have the idea that I *should* view or absorb some material, simply for the sake of awareness. Whether I actually do or not depends on the day or whether or not I'm currently pregnant, which I'm not.

No, you can't unwatch it. I'm sorry you have those images in your head for the rest of your life.

I am not sorry I have these images in my head, and I hope they stay in my head for the rest of my life as a reminder of what can happen to a society. We and the rest of the world can argue all day long about why this happened, but we should never, ever forget that it can happen.

Terri

When I worked in the Middle East years ago, I was told not to help in emergencies because the consequences of making a mistake could be severe. While I was there, I never faced a situation where my help was needed but I hope my faith would be strong enough that I would helped regardless.

I haven't watched the linked video but saw the one on BBC. It makes my heart break that the poor baby died in such a way. It, also, breaks my heart that anyone could have walked by her without compassion.

Ann

I am not sorry I have these images in my head, and I hope they stay in my head for the rest of my life as a reminder of what can happen to a society. We and the rest of the world can argue all day long about why this happened, but we should never, ever forget that it can happen.

Terri

I agree.

I watched the video. Now I have to take my kids to guitar looking like someone punched me because I'm all tear stained and red-faced. I'm not ashamed of it. That poor baby girl deserves to have the world weep for our loss of her.

I know in Korea if you kill or injure a person you can stay out of jail by paying a very big sum of money to the victims family as restitution. It's possible the driver of the van ignored the child because he could not afford to pay restitution (if they follow a similar system).

Also the child in question was a girl - girl's are not highly prized in China at all - they are often aborted or killed at birth - it's possible that the death of a girl child is just meaningless in that society.

This makes me sicker than anything. :crying:

Also the child in question was a girl - girl's are not highly prized in China at all - they are often aborted or killed at birth - it's possible that the death of a girl child is just meaningless in that society.

AGAIN, communists put in place a 1 child policy. This exacerbates a need for sons as sons are the "social security" in that culture.

Many Chinese are as po-ed at all get out as to how the society/culture has been transformed by 50+ years of this type of government. Not that anything was so perfect about previous regimes, lest that be misunderstood. However, living in certain regions has meant at times forced late term abortion by the state. People who've lived a lifetime under such conditions might just be a bit warped as to right and wrong... Or even how to feel in situations like this. It's very sad all around.

This government ran over their own people in 1989 with the world watching. I can't imagine who I'd be emotionally if I lived there for a lifetime.

I have friends who live in Taiwan, which is very similar to China, and they said many people aren't willing to help in some part because if the person dies, they are responsible for caring for them in the afterlife. Ancestor worship and worship of the dead is very prevalent, and if one is attending to someone when they die, they are held responsible for that person in the afterlife. That involves providing food (actual food is provided) as well as money (spirit money is burned for this). If the provisions are not handled appropriately, spirits of those who have died do not take it lightly.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Chinese beliefs of afterlife, but it was mentioned that it was why many are reluctant to help in accidents.

Do any of these people believe in Karma?

This thread has taken on a very judgmental and ugly tone, I think. It is easy to sit and say what you would have done from your home on the other side of the world when you have no idea of the ground realities.

Also, before you start condemning communists, Chinese, and making thinly veiled attacks on pro-choice politics you might want to consider this scenario:

I was a college student in Washington DC in the early 1990s. One morning on my way to class I could see something in the middle of the sidewalk ahead of me. Everyone else was walking around the object, not looking down, not making an attempt to see what the situation was. As I got closer it looked to me like a homeless man had died during the night. I called 911 and said "you must have received hundreds of reports but I just wanted to make sure." The 911 operator said "no, we haven't received a single report." This body was on a busy street during rush hour. And not one person had even bothered to call 911. This happened in America, folks. The only thing that had to be done was a phone call. And the only person to call in the problem was a strongly pro-choice college student.

I'm just saying.

Oh for crying out loud to the lord above.

Of the many things one might contrive to call China's 1 child policy it is NOT prochoice. There is no choice. You either agree or you better be insane rich enough to have another baby. There is no choice for the vast majority of China's men and women.

I am willing to separate the government from the people to a some extent.

So no, I'm not going to think all Chinese people don't care about slaughtered toddlers in the road.

You are right. It could have happened anywhere.

That doesn't excuse it or make it less evil.