Menu

CHINA: Toddler Hit By Truck--and Passersby Do NOTHING to Help

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20121691-503543.html

WARNING: The Video link is VERY GRAPHIC.

"The video from Foshan City of Guangdong Province in China is unequivocal: A two-year-old is seen lying in a pool of blood on a market street having just been hit by a truck, which sped away after slowing running over her with its back wheels too, after which more than a dozen people walk around the toddler, non offering help.

The child, named Yueyue, survived the accident, after a 56-year-old rag collector finally came to her rescue and dragged her out of the road, but not before a second truck hit the girl, according to China Daily. She is now, however, in rough shape - "brain dead," doctors say - and is unlikely to survive...."

I am so horrified. How could those people just walk by? Human beings have such capacity for evil....

Video link below, but it is VERY graphic--probably the most graphic I have EVER seen in my life. I only made it through a few seconds before I had to shut my eyes.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMDY4OTcy.html

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been some court cases in China where people who stopped to help accident victims then had to pay part of hospital costs etc. it was in the BBC story.

So, yeah, that is pretty bad, but there are also some very possible negatives for those who do help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15331773

And I have been told not to stop and help at accidents or intervene in situations on the street because I could get sued or it could be a scam etc, etc. I live in the US, btw. I don't think it is an uncommon conundrum to be caught in.

There have been some court cases in China where people who stopped to help accident victims then had to pay part of hospital costs etc. it was in the BBC story.

Yes. Luckily I was never in a position where I had to get involved in an accident.

I was boarding a bus one day, however, with a Chinese friend. The person in front of me started to fall back towards me. I put out a hand to support them, but my Chinese friend snatched my hand away. Luckily the person regained her balance. The friend explained that if the person had fallen while I was touching her, she might well have demanded all medical costs from me.

Laura

I'd rather be accused of hurting the child than stand back and watch her be ignored like some street rat. I would rather be sued, go to jail, and be tortured, just so I could comfort that sweet little angel in her last minutes of life. My heart aches for her. I can only take comfort in knowing she was not alone, jesus was there comforting her and filing her with love and peace.

I'd rather be accused of hurting the child than stand back and watch her be ignored like some street rat.

:iagree:

Why was she walking around those trucks by herself???

That first truck KNEW he hit that kid. How could the driver and all those other people just continue on with their day???

What the %$#^ is wrong with people?

I have been thinking about this all day. I hope I would be someone who would stop and help, but I am no longer so sure about that. Here in Bangalore I see grown men unconsious (dead?) on the side of the street on a regular basis - I don't do anything. We have beggers stop cars at intersections holding babies who might be ill/hungry, we don't do anything. Is it possible to become so immune to human suffering that it no longers stirs us and moves us to sympathy? I hope not but I have a feeling I might be wrong.

I have been thinking about this all day. I hope I would be someone who would stop and help, but I am no longer so sure about that.

But, a toddler? I've stopped other people's toddlers from falling/running out in the street. When you have kids, it feels like you have to watch out for/protect ANY kid around you.

I'm sure you would stop.

I have friends who live in Taiwan, which is very similar to China, and they said many people aren't willing to help in some part because if the person dies, they are responsible for caring for them in the afterlife. Ancestor worship and worship of the dead is very prevalent, and if one is attending to someone when they die, they are held responsible for that person in the afterlife. That involves providing food (actual food is provided) as well as money (spirit money is burned for this). If the provisions are not handled appropriately, spirits of those who have died do not take it lightly.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Chinese beliefs of afterlife, but it was mentioned that it was why many are reluctant to help in accidents.

Edited by mandymom

I have friends who live in Taiwan, which is very similar to China, and they said many people aren't willing to help in some part because if the person dies, they are responsible for caring for them in the afterlife. Ancestor worship and worship of the dead is very prevalent, and if one is attending to someone when they die, they are held responsible for that person in the afterlife. That involves providing food (actual food is provided) as well as money (spirit money is burned for this). If the provisions are not handled appropriately, spirits of those who have died do not take it lightly.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the Chinese beliefs of afterlife, but it was mentioned that it was why many are reluctant to help in accidents.

Does the family care for the spirit in that case or are they left alone?

Does the family care for the spirit in that case or are they left alone?

I think so. Most homes that I saw had ancestor alters where they took care of their ancestors' needs. I guess that would include children that died as well.

Edited by mandymom

I'm going to ask my husband about this tonight. He's from Korea. Now that I think about it, my MIL will take mugs of coffee and pour it on relatives' graves.

OMG! That's the city where I used to live in China. That's just... disturbing. It's so graphic... but it is true that when I lived there, like Laura said, there's a concerted sense that you're not supposed to help people in trouble - for legal reasons, in part, but it's also just sort strikes me as cultural at this point. Obviously not on this scale, but I once saw a small child alone get knocked over or trip (I wasn't sure what had happened - 3 or 4 yo down was all I saw) and crying and no one stopped to help and it was sort of upsetting to me.

That first truck KNEW he hit that kid. How could the driver and all those other people just continue on with their day???

I know in Korea if you kill or injure a person you can stay out of jail by paying a very big sum of money to the victims family as restitution. It's possible the driver of the van ignored the child because he could not afford to pay restitution (if they follow a similar system).

Also the child in question was a girl - girl's are not highly prized in China at all - they are often aborted or killed at birth - it's possible that the death of a girl child is just meaningless in that society.

I can't watch it. It horrifies me just to think about it. Does it say where her parents were or if there are parents?

I recall vividly sitting in an airport in China watching a mother repeatedly kick her 3 or 4 year old while yelling at him in disgust . It was awful.

Dawn

I wish I knew what the comments at the bottom of the page (2nd link) said.

Was the news footage from that area or elsewhere? If it's from the same area then they obviously viewed it negatively or it wouldn't have been a news story.

Edited by Trresh

I wish I knew what the comments at the bottom of the page (2nd link) said.

Was the news footage from that area or elsewhere? If it's from the same area then they obviously viewed it negatively or it wouldn't have been a news story.

My browser translated the page - not a great translation, but the comments were almost universally shocked and horrified. One person talks about how people might want to help, but it is expensive to be good, apparently referring to the laws about paying for hospital stays. I only looked at the first page of comments.

This was disgusting. :crying:

It was horrible when the person lifted her up and she just flopped. OMG!!!

And, the lady in the black dress who picked her up was the mom. She wasn't even screaming, freaking out, or anything. :confused:

ETA: Also, it's just unreal that people walk around her, some not even looking down. One person had a kid with them. When I read the OP's initial post, the quote made it sound like the rag collector was a hero coming to her aid. Even though she did yell out for help, it looked to me more like she was inconvenienced and saw trash in the street that she wanted moved off the side.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

And, the lady in the black dress who picked her up was the mom. She wasn't even screaming, freaking out, or anything. :confused:

Shock can do that to a person.

I refuse to watch the video. Whoever it was that stood there and taped that horrific incident instead of rendering help should not be rewarded monetarily for selling the video or with internet "hits." I also find it disgusting that anyone would want to watch either live or digitally any human being much less child being killed.

It is so sad. I am just glad that in our country, most people come from a different philosophical standpoint. Our laws in most states prevent suing of people who help (Good Samaritan Laws) and the majority of our inhabitants practice a religion that doesn't have any stipulations about caring for strangers for eternity (I think Christianity, Judaism, and Moslem all agree on this) or no religion (where again, worries about what your obligations in afterlife would be are no concern).

So horrible. But, maybe this news story and video will be a catalyst for legal and cultural changes.

Lately most of us seem to hold China in high esteem because they seem to get academic education and a few other things right. I'd rather my kid take longer to learn Calculus if it means she also learns to put herself in the shoes of others in need.

An aside, but I thought they would have socialized medicine in China, so why the worry about the medical costs falling to the good Samaritan?

Also when my kid is hurt, I am very practical about doing what I can about it first, then feeling the emotions later. It's a personality/survival trait. I'm sure she felt horrible, but not everyone shows it in the same way.

I'd rather be accused of hurting the child than stand back and watch her be ignored like some street rat. I would rather be sued, go to jail, and be tortured, just so I could comfort that sweet little angel in her last minutes of life. My heart aches for her. I can only take comfort in knowing she was not alone, jesus was there comforting her and filing her with love and peace.

This is what happens when society stops valuing human life.

You know you are going to get slammed for saying this, so before that starts, just want to say that I agree. When we were in China, this was my and my husband's strong impression: human life does not have the value there that it does elsewhere. YES, there are exceptions, yes, there are many loving parents, but as a whole, society seems to value human life very little.

Terri

Also the child in question was a girl - girl's are not highly prized in China at all - they are often aborted or killed at birth - it's possible that the death of a girl child is just meaningless in that society.

When I read the thread title, I said to myself 'I bet it was a girl'. Her mom is probably pregnant and hoping for a boy. And I really can't blame the parents, it's the Chinese society; patriarchal and only *1* child per. I can tell you this much.... we our Chinese Girl! :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

I knew it was going to be horrible but I wasn't prepared for that! As a Christian I should never hope people rot in you know where but it is extremely difficult to not feel that way about the people that didn't help. OMG. I could never do that!!!! Even if it were my worst enemy.

You know you are going to get slammed for saying this, so before that starts, just want to say that I agree. When we were in China, this was my and my husband's strong impression: human life does not have the value there that it does elsewhere. YES, there are exceptions, yes, there are many loving parents, but as a whole, society seems to value human life very little.

Terri

She might. It is an important statement, though, and needs to be repeated so we can "get it".

Edited by FiveOaksAcademy

I refuse to watch the video. Whoever it was that stood there and taped that horrific incident instead of rendering help should not be rewarded monetarily for selling the video or with internet "hits." I also find it disgusting that anyone would want to watch either live or digitally any human being much less child being killed.

I think it was a street camera put up by the city or a security camera for a business.

Definitely don't watch the video. I wish I hadn't....I really don't know why I did.

Also when my kid is hurt, I am very practical about doing what I can about it first, then feeling the emotions later. It's a personality/survival trait. I'm sure she felt horrible, but not everyone shows it in the same way.

Exactly. We had an accident with one of the older children when they were an infant. My husband flipped out and was screaming "no! No!" I went and picked the baby up, put the baby in the carseat, put the carseat in the front seat of the van (to watch for a seizure), and rushed to the hospital (a few blocks away; it was quicker for me to take her than for me to call an ambulance). I simply went into response mode. Yes, I was freaked out, but I was military raised and knew that you did what you had to do and you can always lose it and cry later. (the baby had hit their head, but was fine)

This is not just China,

last time when I went on a business in Phoenix few years back, they has a sniper on a killing sprit, The news reported that the guy got shot and lay on the ground nobody driving by willing to help.

The sniper or a victim didn't receive help?

This is not just China,

last time when I went on a business in Phoenix few years back, they has a sniper on a killing sprit, The news reported that the guy got shot and lay on the ground nobody driving by willing to help.

you mean nobody stopped to help the sniper who was on a killing spree?

When I worked in San Francisco, I went out during a break once and a policeman pushed me back into the building. I looked up to ask why the heck he did that, and that's when I saw the men on top of buildings across the street with guns. I can't say I would have walked out to help someone with guns pointing at me. I would have been too scared.

And I wouldn't risk my own life or safety to help a wounded killer.

victim

oh. I honestly can't say what I'd do in a predicament like that. I'd like to help, but did the person know where the sniper was? I honestly don't know what i'd do in a situation like that! Scary!

But the baby hit by a car? I *know* what I'd do there.

It IS true that the people in China don't value human life like we do, especially here. I doubt many know the horrors that people face there, even newborn girls.

It's a security video.

I didn't watch the video. The still pictures are enough. I can't understand how any of it could have happened. The parents seem loving. They already had a son, so I doubt it was because they didn't care for her. Maybe she wandered off and the mom had been looking for her for a while. How could she be in the street, how could the 1st truck hit her, then go on, how could the people walk by.... :confused: I don't believe it would happen in the US. Maybe we'd walk past an adult, but I think never, at least today, would Americans in America witness a toddler hit by a truck and ignore her.