Menu

Why don't people want these jobs?

But this is not a typical wage. I asked my dh how much they got paid when he picked oranges. He told me $8 a tub. First they fill a bag full....think one of those canvas equipment bags soldiers use. Then it took 5-6 of those to fill a tub. Filling each bag requires the picker to go up and down a ladder with said bag on their back, to get the oranges off the trees. Some families bring their kids along and they pick will the kids on the ground pick up the oranges that they throw off. If you don't have someone else helping you, then you get MAYBE $4 an hour. That $4 is taxed, not to mention the scratches all over from the trees, and the tendonitis you get in your arms from having your hand in the same position all day. Then you add in the gas it takes you to get there if you aren't lucky enough to get on a bus with a team. That $4 an hour becomes even less. While my dh isn't afraid of hard work at all, at 51 years old, he ends up working his a$$ off for almost nothing. He could be spending that $ to get to day labor and do a lawn job or cement work or something and get paid a lot more.

Around here at least, it isn't about being afraid of hard work. It's about doing physically hard work and only earning half what you would at anyother equally as demanding job. Orange, strawberry, blueberry etc farmers pay so little because migrant workers WILL accept that pay, so why encourage anyone else to do the work?

This is a good picture of reality. Minimum wage laws do not apply to pickers because they are short-term contract work. In addition, even where the person is an actual employee and makes an hourly wage, the famer is not required to pay overtime. (under federal OT rules.)

Edited by Renee in FL

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of the other posters. It isn't as simple as entitlement or laziness.

Sure that plays a part in some. Not all.

Insurance is a big one. Unemployment is another. You have to work for a certain amount of time to collect unemployment.

That being said, are these workers *employees* or are they paid as independent contractors? Do the employers pay the unemployment tax (or any other tax) on this employee? You can't collect unemployment if you are an IC. You also have to pay self employment tax come tax time. If the wages are even reported. If they aren't then that can be a whole different can of worms that most people don't want to deal with.

This is going to sound horrible but some people also don't want to work with a bunch of other people they may not be able to communicate with. Let's face it, a lot of the agri work is done my Spanish speakers. If you don't speak the language it will be hard to communicate. Not only that but if you happen to be the only honky in the bunch that can be a little uncomfortable as well. This was not said to be rude, please don't take it that way, it was just said as another possible reason.

There are going to be a myriad of reason why people can't or won't do the work. Some are legitimate, some are not.

However what we have to realize as well is that there are just as many people *not* willing to work at McDonalds flipping burgers. I would rather work in a field any day than work fast food, I have worked fast food, it is just as hellish as working in a field. Only it is mental instead of physical. Working with people is way harder than plants!

Wow, I'm shocked to see how many people attribute this to laziness. I think that's an extremely narrow view to take. No matter how desperate we were, we wouldn't take this job as long as public assistance was available. Why? Because one of my children's medication would cost us $2997 a month if we didn't have insurance. I know that because we just switched insurance and for the first month we got her meds from CVS instead of the mail-order pharmacy, and the receipt showed the retail cost of the meds. I would rather be unemployed, on public assistance, and have CHIP (children's health insurance through the state) than be "dignified" and have a "work ethic" and have no health insurance.

Tara

It's also easy to call it "laziness" when someone has never done the work in question and is not in a position to need to. I think most of us would if it came down to it. However, I am very certain that if Americans started doing the work under the current pay and conditions, it wouldn't last long. Laws would be passed that would improve pay and conditions pretty quickly and we would all feel it at the grocery store.;)

Perhaps they know they physically can't do it. Picking is hard physical labour. How many of us, or people you know could pick for eight hours a day, for several days in a row and still be able to physically get up out of bed?

I worked cucumbers and tobacco one summer in NC. Back in those days, tobacco paid fairly well -- people would take time off from their other jobs to work tobacco in the summer. Picking cucumbers did not pay so well. The work was hard, but I thought it was doable. However, I was a teen at the time, and it was just a summer job, so maybe that makes everything more bearable.

I think it will take a bit for an equalizing to take place. Eventually, either things will be so bad that anyone will take the job, or, the employers will have to provide working conditions and pay that draw employees. Probably a combo of both. That would be the free market in operation!
I think this is a good point. I've often wondered, if we didn't have illegal workers to do our jobs, how long would it take before employers would be forced to raise their wages to a level that would attract American citizens? Back when I was young, and there weren't so many illegal immigrants, people were paid decent amounts to work construction and tobacco. No, one didn't get wealthy, but construction jobs were considered good jobs. Tobacco was seasonal, so not the same thing, but as I mentioned above, people took time off from other jobs to work tobacco, because the pay was so much better.

This is going to sound horrible but some people also don't want to work with a bunch of other people they may not be able to communicate with. Let's face it, a lot of the agri work is done my Spanish speakers. If you don't speak the language it will be hard to communicate. Not only that but if you happen to be the only honky in the bunch that can be a little uncomfortable as well. This was not said to be rude, please don't take it that way, it was just said as another possible reason.

My experience has been that Latinos have no problem working with citizens, but tend to get frustrated at our slowness.:tongue_smilie: We had few Americans working at the chicken plant, but the ultimate compliment was for the Latino jeffe to tell an American he "did good work.";)

I think this is a good point. I've often wondered, if we didn't have illegal workers to do our jobs, how long would it take before employers would be forced to raise their wages to a level that would attract American citizens? Back when I was young, and there weren't so many illegal immigrants, people were paid decent amounts to work construction and tobacco. No, one didn't get wealthy, but construction jobs were considered good jobs. Tobacco was seasonal, so not the same thing, but as I mentioned above, people took time off from other jobs to work tobacco, because the pay was so much better.

:iagree: Wages have fallen so far for manual labor jobs! Today's pay for construction is less than the pay was 10 years ago, and that is even before adjusting for inflation! Some of this is because undocumented immigrants will work for less (and upset the supply/demand curve) but a lot of it was simply based on what people want to pay for houses.

Businesses that are used to hiring mostly illegal immigrants can pay their workers pretty well in part because they are saving money by not having to pay taxes, insurance, workman's comp, etc. that they would have to pay if it wasn't under the table. My FIL is a dentist, and he would LOVE to have a secretary as the front desk of his office, but he can't afford the associated taxes and expenses of having an employee. (So yes, he works as a dentist all by himself taking mostly Medicaid/Medicare patients.)

This is a common misconception. Most employers are still paying taxes for these workers, but under false social security numbers. Illegal workers pay into a system they will never collect from and are helping to prop it up. It really depends on the industry - those that traditionally pay *all* workers under the table are the ones paying illegal workers under the table, too.

We are having this problem in Alabama. I think that the unemployment compensation should be adjusted so that people work. We could do something like say people under 40 have to take laborer or farm work jobs or no unemployment, no food stamps, nada. THis could be put in place after a certain number of weeks unemployed so the person could first make an effort to find a job in his field. I don't care to be subsidizing people who don't want to work. ANd yes, I realize it is really hard work and physically challenging- which is why that kind of work should have age limits on it.

We are having this problem in Alabama. I think that the unemployment compensation should be adjusted so that people work. We could do something like say people under 40 have to take laborer or farm work jobs or no unemployment, no food stamps, nada. THis could be put in place after a certain number of weeks unemployed so the person could first make an effort to find a job in his field. I don't care to be subsidizing people who don't want to work. ANd yes, I realize it is really hard work and physically challenging- which is why that kind of work should have age limits on it.

Just curious if you had seen Mergath's posts about this very issue a while back? That they were trying to require her to work without pay and without regard to her childcare issues and crippling migraines?

This was on the local (Alabama) news recently.

"We've done everything we could do to replace them, but nobody wants the jobs,Ă¢â‚¬ says Bob Tambone, a farmer in St. Clair County.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“That is a misconception."

Contrary to TamboneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s opinion, many Alabamians do want to work. One example is WHNT News 19 viewer Klieta Bagwell, who wrote, "My friends and I are looking for jobs. Where are all these jobs? I know lots of people that would work the fields."

There are people looking for jobs who are willing to take them. When you go to the Employment Agency, agriculture jobs are not usually listed. It is not just a case of people being lazy, thinking they are too good, or not wanting to give up their welfare. Unless you know a farmer, it is very hard to find these jobs. For the record, I grew up on a farm. I had to do the work and didn't get paid. It wasn't fun. If I were in a position where my family needed money and harvesting was available, you bet I'd do it.

We were unemployed for 2 years and my husband looked into some of these types of jobs. Most would not amount to more than $50 a day and the work was sporadic. A few even had illegal practices and he refused to even consider those. They all talked a good game about good money, but when you really looked into it was all based on how much you brought in and the amount to bring in to make the "big bucks" was impossible for one person. Maybe we are wimpy and entitled but $50 dollars a day in FL heat just did not seem worth it.

He's working as a security guard now and his pay is rotten but it keeps our heads above water for now.

Childcare? Transportation? Medications/etc for those who are now working on the farms and don't have any health insurance? (and for the heart attacks, broken limbs, and whatever else is gonna come from shoving accountants into farm jobs)

I don't think it's as simple as "do this or else". Sure, for the 19 year old with no wife or children and lots of energy/health to spareĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

Edit: Notice a couple of things about the link you posted. First, it was not a job posting, but an article quoting the farm owners. Second, even they said the wages are "up to $150 a day." That's quite a significant phrase.

I missed that when I was sitting at the breakfast table reading the article. Thank you. That's really where this thread came from you know, a question that popped into my head at the breakfast table. . . :)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Too much like hard work.

It's something my grandparents often said - that the modern generation doesn't want to work hard physically and get their hands dirty, if they can avoid it.

:iagree: At least around here where I live. Many of the people I know that have been out of work in the last few years have actually commented in ways that lead me to believe they are just "too good" to do that kind of work. In fact, when my DH was unemployed, our pastor's wife actually commended him for being willing to wait tables until he found something else because so many people look down on such "lower class" jobs. We are even treated different sometimes because we don't do what would be considered "respectable" work. DH works in a factory. I guess for us, our mentality is different though. Dh works at least 10 hours of overtime or more per pay period and we still make less than $3000 a month. I guess it's perspective. You do what you have to do. Every little bit helps. Some money is better than none. And we even lived without health insurance for quite some time.

I know one man who has been unemployed for nearly 3 years now, their savings is nearly depleted but he refuses to even attempt to look into anything other than what his degree is for. It's sad to me. He'd rather his family go into foreclosure, be hungry, etc., then to suck up his pride and get the job available now.

I fully realize that there are SOME people with circumstances where these types of jobs would just not work for them (chronic illness, disabilities, etc.) but from my experience that isn't the case.

I think it's the hard work thing and I also think that benefits plays a role in this too. I have friends downstate who live as artists and make about $4000 a month - which isn't too bad.

However, he's had prostate cancer and their health insurance is $1400 a month - over 1/4 of their total income. So $3000 a month REALLY wouldn't help them.

I also think we've made farming a "dirty" thing that "dirty immigrants" need to do, not regular white people. Somewhere in the 1950s-1960s, we REALLY screwed up with the emphasis on college and the class war with the non-college educated people.

We just watched the movie, "Ingredients" on Netflix and we were all enthralled. Wow, farming is going to be more and more of an issue as our kids grow!! I finally got DH to agree to dairy goats next spring, not because he's thrilled with the idea but because he acknowledges that our children will probably have to have some farming experience, no matter what they do with the rest of their lives. All the money in the world isn't going to matter if you cannot find decent food to eat.

Agriculture is coming to a standstill in my state because of crackdowns on illegal immigrants. Growers are offering $150 a day for pickers. According to my calculations, that is $18.75 an hour. If it is a 40 hour work week, that is $3000 a month. Not a huge amount, but more than a minimum wage job flipping burgers at Burger King. And I'm not sure if agricultural work is a 40 hour/week kind of job so it might even be more per month.

There is a huge unemployment rate and a huge under employed rate. Why aren't unemployed and under employed (ie. people earning only minimum wage) people knocking down the door to get a job picking apples even though it isn't their dream job? I just think of the Great Depression when men would do anything (at least it seems in the books I've read) to take care of their families.

I'd appreciate it (if possible:tongue_smilie:) if people would not let this veer into a thread on illegal immigrants because I want my question answered and I'm pretty sure that would result in the thread being locked.

Because they aren't desperate enough yet.

I don't have the time to read all the answers but I totally believe that it is because this is a job that requires 'work'. It is hard work and our country as a whole has become very lazy.

We used to try to get/keep an aid for my oldest son. He is 6', C6/7 quad. The pay isn't greatest but for our area it is average and an ideal part time job as you can come, put in a couple of hrs and you have the rest of the day to do whatever. We have always been flexible with aids in if they need/want time of it is theirs. The time frame is pretty set as he has to be to work at a certain time. We would advertice, intividuals would come, fill out paper work, get an overview of what the job required, might even come for a couple of days training and then simply not show or tell us that they decided they weren't interested.:confused: They needed WORK! and yes there is some physical work to the job but it was just to much. I am 62 and do the job easily. I have had a bad back since I was very young but have NEVER hurt myself in his transfers. The only thing that I have ever been able to figure is they do have to be here on time and they do have to do the work. I am not going to do the work while they stand and watch for ever.:tongue_smilie:

When my dh was unemployed, he was occasionally offered things like "I'll pay you to help me move" etc. He never took them, not because he's "lazy" or "doesn't want to work" (this is the same man who worked 7 days a week for 2 1/2 years because that's what we needed to stay afloat), but because he knew that if he accidentally got injured doing a short term thing like that for a couple of bucks, our whole family would be screwed over for a long time, since we depend on his income.

I haven't read ahead, so perhaps you got your answer. But I know here in VA where I live they offer basically the same set up to "Crab pickers", but what they don't tell you is that to get that pay you must pick a quota that very few people can accomplish. They measure the crab meat by the pound, and the faster you can pick the more money you make, but it is never as much as they promise or advertise. They also charge for "supplies" that are needed to pick crabs, and if you need a place to live, they charge more than the going rate for an apartment and then pack 4 people to a room. They also charge each person $10 or more for a van ride to the store to buy groceries, and only go when they have a van full of people. By the time they get a paycheck, they might actually owe the company money for the privilege of having a job.

I just found a post on Craigslist where an Americorps VISTA worker who is working with farmers is looking to help connect workers with some of his farmers who can't find enough sweet potato pickers. I was looking because I wondered how easy it was to find a farm to work on if you were so inclined.

Another farmworker job I found paid room and board and $400 a month. And they wanted a resume with references?:lol:

Most of the jobs listed were $9 an hour jobs, but there were a few that paid a lot more. Those were managment jobs, though, not picker/laborer jobs.

I've just remembered how much I made the few days I did strawberry picking it was about Ă‚Â£12 a day. I did cherry picking as well and for the couple of weeks I did that I earned about Ă‚Â£200 in total. There wasn't enough fruit around that year so work was very patchy and all over the place.

Wouldn't it be very difficult and impractical to move your family to another part of the country or state to take advantage of a short-term, seasonal picking job? I just think the logistics would be difficult to overcome. By the time you applied, found someone to rent your place, found a place to move to, and moved, picking season would be almost over. That or you could leave your family behind, but then you would have to be paying two rents.

I've done agricultural work before. It's hard work, but I would be more than willing to do it for that pay and my unemployed dh would happily do it. I honestly don't know why people aren't filling those jobs. Are farm owners letting people know the jobs are available and how to apply for them? My husband has been digging metal out of dumpsters to pay the bills, so I don't think he'd have any problem doing work in the fields! Migrant workers usually get housing and other perks. Are those offered to other workers?

This is what I see and hear from a lot of young people today. Many were never made to do anything difficult, back breaking, or dirty as they grew up and they think such things are beneath them.... They say they won't work for a "mere" $10 an hour, they won't do manual labor, they won't do work they consider demeaning - their list of qualifications is sometimes so long I wonder how employers ever find folks to work for them....

We frequent a Denny's restaurant here and it is always busy. They have never, in 13 years, ever had enough help. The regulars tell us they can't get help and even when there are enough hired, they call in all the time saying they won't be in that shift/day, etc. It is very close to campus. I have never seen a college kid working there.... They eat there, but they won't work there.

The only restaurants they want to work at are the those they consider "high end," such as a family owned steak place here in town. Nothing else is good enough....

How do we teach humility? How do we truly teach it to our kids who have really wanted for nothing growing up and who have not experienced difficulties of any sort, really? I'm not sure we can teach it except by direct experience....

Like everyone has said...

- backbreaking labor for little pay

- dangerous chemicals and pesticides to come into contact to

- no health insurance or sick leave if you get injured or ill

- many farm machines for harvesting (i.e. tomatoes or corn) can be dangerous if you are unskilled.

- long hot days or cold chilly conditions with no breaks

My father was a farm laborer for many decades. He now has no retirement, no health care, and his body is now paying the price for all of the time on the farms in harsh conditions. And he was legal too. But illiterate -- but that is another story. ;)

To whomever mentioned the housing offered by farmers or middlemen who hired the illegals... take my word for it... the housing is usually substandard. Like a one-room shotgun shack filled with too many people and poor quality conditions like NO heat or a/c or a decent bathroom.

Edited by tex-mex

The only restaurants they want to work at are the those they consider "high end," such as a family owned steak place here in town. Nothing else is good enough....

How do we teach humility? How do we truly teach it to our kids who have really wanted for nothing growing up and who have not experienced difficulties of any sort, really? I'm not sure we can teach it except by direct experience....

Is it "humility" or is it just smart? I did both kinds of restaurants in college and at the high end place, I made working at one or two tables what I would make on an entire WEEKEND at Village Inn.

I don't know. After the industrial revolution, the free market didn't really correct in this way, because the employers had their wage-earners over a barrel. The union movement had some impact, but ultimately it was government regulation that made the difference, with minimum wages, laws about breaks and work days, and so on.

And the same is true today in many countries with little regulation.

I've never seen any evidence that the free market alone would suddenly decide to pay people reasonable wages and benefits.

Is it "humility" or is it just smart? I did both kinds of restaurants in college and at the high end place, I made working at one or two tables what I would make on an entire WEEKEND at Village Inn.

:iagree:I also recall being turned away from dishwashing jobs in NYC. I won't say what they said, because it was racially offensive (and it was said without a blush), but the gist was that people like me just wanted a toe in to become a waitress. And yes, it was the truth. I'm guessing they were sick of people quitting when the didn't move up to waiting tables in a couple of weeks.

We discussed this at dinner. My teen boys would love to have those jobs. You have to be used to hard, boring work I think.

They can't hire your boys here. It's illegal to allow non family minors to work farming equipment or industrial grade equipment.

They can't work the fry station at a restaurant.

They can't work a forklift at a warehouse.

They can't use the tractor.

If I owned my own place, they could do it.

But they can't get a job doing it for someone else.

My boys would be thrilled to earn some money doing it too.

It's a dadblum shame how restricted teens are these days in doing anything on their own!

There was a TV programme in the UK a while back. They offered job experience to a group of long-term unemployed people. They weren't forced into the scheme - all of them volunteered. It was the agricultural jobs which the unemployed people found hardest: they just weren't used to hard physical work. They were cutting asparagus, which has to be done fast and efficiently to meet the buyers' requirements for the short season. They just couldn't manage it. They dropped out of the scheme.

Overall, only two of the original people stuck with the scheme (out of about ten). Some weren't fit enough (not disabled, just out of shape). One didn't like 'being told what to do,' others just didn't think the money was enough for the effort involved. Make of that what you will.

ETA: health insurance is not an issue here, but transportation could be, as could issues with going on and off benefits.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

If your teens were to work in a orange grove here, they would MAYBE fill a tub of oranges every two hours. That is if they are really good. That would be getting them $4.00 an hour. Add in the cost of gas to get them there, because they groves are all out of town. Then figure that they would get taxed on the money they made. They would be lucky to make $2.50 an hour by the time it was said and done. Up to $150. a day does NOT mean $150 a day.

I know. I'm just saying my teens don't look at all work in terms of dollar figures. They'd love to make some money and they aren't too lazy to do the job and they would like the challenge of it.

An older man who has heavier concerns has to look purely at the dollar value.

I've worked ag jobs, sometimes side by side with legal immigrants on a work pass. They can be difficult but they aren't that bad, jeez, I was doing them as a middle aged housewife and after a short break in time I was doing fine. it's good money, you're outside, with good people. the Mexicans I was working with had a four bedroom double wide house to live in and were very comfortable. I have never pulled unemployment and I sure wouldn't let it stop me from working. My kids are just waiting until they're old enough to work those jobs-it's a way to make a bunch of money and then be done. People will come up with all kinds of excuses to not work! LOL

My experience with picking apples was that at the end of the day, after having to pay for the chiropractor to fix me up, I made $5 :) I didn't last long doing it! But, then again, I didn't need the job to put food on the table, I was just helping out an uncle.

I think this is a good point. I've often wondered, if we didn't have illegal workers to do our jobs, how long would it take before employers would be forced to raise their wages to a level that would attract American citizens?

I am all for paying people a reasonable wage. However, if that happens, the price of food is going to go up. Americans don't like that.

Can't have it both ways, though.

yeah I've wondered the same thing-I've seen stories on the news about the situation in Alabama with the field workers and think gosh my nephew should be out doing that he can't find a job......but yes I agree we are a spoiled society....there are so many people out of work it seems that they would be running to the farmers if they wanted a job bad enough.....

I know some people who weren't interested in lower-paying jobs because they would make less than they made on unemployment. Bills to pay and all that. My little brother tried working as a corn detasseler. The summer heat wave hit so his first (and last) day at work there was 106 degrees plus humidity. He was I think the 7th person to quit that day. Outdoor work is hard for our air-conditioned society.

I used to work in a barn and that was quite hard work, but I could do it--for my three to four hours. I don't think I could have done it all day, full-time!

But how does that make others too lazy? An adult who has a family to support can't do it on the wages you get from field work. My dh has done it simply because he believes some work is better than no work. But if it was all we had to rely on, it certainly wouldn't pay the bills. There are days dh COULD have done field work but instead chose to go put in his resume to see if he could get a decent paying job. Choosing to not go the route of a job that only pays upwards of $3.00 an hour doesn't make one lazy.

I didn't say it made others lazy.:confused:

I said MY boys aren't too lazy to do it, but there are many other reasons they wouldn't be able to take the job. And many other reasons why a grown man might not take that job.

OK, I worked waiting tables for $2.50 plus tips. If you're not supporting a family how is some money not better than no money? Really? My kids detasseled corn, moved furniture, trimmed trees, anything they could find this summer. Are we the only people who make the kids figure out how to get by?

Extras aren't in our budget.

Here those jobs are done in the middle of 95+ degree days. I'm not sure what kind of ag jobs you have done, but here in FL, a full day of it would about kill some of the healthier people I know. And the ones that are working as immigrants are stacked 2-3 families in one trailer house. I understand that there ARE some that are too lazy to do ANY kind of work, but this kind of work is not something just anyone can do.

:iagree: And surely not for $50 a day. It would have cost my husband that much in a tank of gas and he would have had to fill up twice a week.

The work at the high end place is very few hours and tends to be seasonal. The work at Denny's is steady money every week. I'm thinking of folks who need steady employment over the course of the whole year. Granted, some kids don't need that, but some do - and they're still not working at places like this (at least not in my town)....

They can't hire your boys here. It's illegal to allow non family minors to work farming equipment or industrial grade equipment.

They can't work the fry station at a restaurant.

They can't work a forklift at a warehouse.

They can't use the tractor.

If I owned my own place, they could do it.

But they can't get a job doing it for someone else.

My boys would be thrilled to earn some money doing it too.

It's a dadblum shame how restricted teens are these days in doing anything on their own!

:iagree:

Well. . .I think you're naive :)

I was too.

I started working at a co-op farm this summer. I work 4 hours a day for a flat of fresh food. I don't just pick; I plant, box, wash, graft, etc. Only 4 hours a day. Not pregnant. Healthy. It's hard flippin' work. The first two weeks I was so sore I had a hard time getting out of bed the next morning. (And I regularly practice yoga). Bugs and heat. Cucumbers and zucchini have big ol prickers. Did you know that? And you can get big old thorns in your hands or you can wear gloves that give you blisters. Ask me how I know. :)

ETA: I also drove 1/2 hour each way. For folks who don't have a car or gas. . . they were pretty SOL, eh?

If you could, I wish you had the opportunity to work on one of these farms, doing this job for one day, nine months pregnant, and come back and tell us how wonderful it is!

Wow, you're not kidding. Now that this thread has gone on a few pp, I'm realizing how incredibly naive my first post was! My experience w/ picking stuff is pick-your-own farms & grand dad's garden. I wasn't trying to be critical AT ALL of people who don't do these jobs, just saying that for a couple of hours at a time, I've enjoyed...what I thought was almost similar work.

That level of naivete in other people tends to irk me pretty badly, so I hope those irked will accept my apologies!

I didn't read every single post, so please forgive me if I am horribly off topic, but I feel so fortunate that my teens are having a chance to do some back breaking work.

My 17 year old can run our farm, so she is used to pulling all nighters when goats are kidding or still needing to do chores when she has the flu, but my 15 year old has more of a tendency to put in less effort because he really has never been motivated to give a job everything he has.

The last two weekends he has put in 14 hour days on his feet selling because my 17 year old is giving him a commission on what he sells. It sounds heartless, but I was so proud last night when we got home, and his knees would hardly hold him up, and the soles of his feet had actually split, but he never stopped working.

I know that my children come from a highly privileged background just because they have an intact family, a stay at home mother, an involved father, private lessons and camps and the opportunity to pursue their passions.

We give them so much, but teaching them how to work might be the most important gift of all. It is neurotic to kill yourself over every single thing you do, but knowing that if the need arises, you can really get the job done, no matter how how challenging it is gives a young adult so much confidence and freedom.

I'm just counting my blessings and putting a willingness to cheerfully work hard at the top of my list.

Hooray for shoveling manure in 100 degree weather, and walking cranky babies night after night and all of the jobs we fear that we can not really do, but we do them anyway because these are the challenges that cause us to mature and reach towards our ultimate potential.