Menu

Singapore Mental Math Question

momto3innc

This is kind of a silly question, but it's been bugging me. We're finishing 2A. How is the mental math designed to work?

-Are you supposed to read the problem and have them answer without ever seeing the problem?

-Or, can they look at the problem but answer orally?

-What about when there is a grid (like an addition or multiplication table?) Do I just call them out and him answer each and every one down the line? Him look at them and tell me? Him fill them in? I hope that makes sense-just not getting the tables mental math-they seem more "worksheet" like and I feel like I'm missing something.

Obviously what matters most is that he is getting the processes and progressing (which he is) but I've just wondering how these parts were designed to work and I hadn't seen the explanation in the HIG.

Thanks!!

I don't know for sure....bit what I do is this:

List of problems-I read, he was noticing the patterns in some, so I read them out of order to really check is memory skills. For 2 & 3 digit problems, I let him look if he needs to.

For the grids, I point to a square and he must give the answer. Going down the rows is just repeating the pattern, my son learns the pattern rather than thinking of the problem. If I point, he cannot answer without thinking.

I don't know if that is "right" but it works for us.

Thanks for your answers. I suppose maybe there isn't a "right" way, just wondering what most did. I think I started wondering because when I used to just read the problems in the MM section without him seeing them, it was a LOT more challenging to him than be able to see them before he mentally solved them (which is what we do now).