Menu

Tarbuck Geology

I have two textbooks on Geology from the library sitting in front of me.

What level are these books?

Earth Science by Tarbuck and Lutgens 9th edition

Earth An Introduction to Physical Geology by Tarbuck and Lutgens 7th edition

I have other books to check as well. Is there some website where I can type in a title to see the type of class where it is typically used?

Thanks!!

I have both of those books; Earth Science is high school level and Earth is college. Tarbuck & Lutgens have a variety of other college level texts as well (I also have their Essentials of Geology text). I quite like Smith & Pun's How the Earth Works, which is a nonmajors college text — very visual and written in an accessible & engaging way. Teaching Co has a couple of good Geology courses as well, and be sure to check out the Roadside Geology book for your state for fieldtrips.

Jackie

I love the Roadside Geology Books!!! My dh is a geologist and we've planned many a road trip based on them. I knew nothing of Geo and have learned so much from them! Also the John McPhee books, "Basin and Range", etc. He did a whole drive across the US on interstate 80 and talks about the geology. Beautifully written.

• 3 months later...
I have two textbooks on Geology from the library sitting in front of me.

What level are these books?

Earth Science by Tarbuck and Lutgens 9th edition

Earth An Introduction to Physical Geology by Tarbuck and Lutgens 7th edition

I have other books to check as well. Is there some website where I can type in a title to see the type of class where it is typically used?

Thanks!!

I know this thread's a little old.

There is also an Earth Science text by Tarbuck and Lutgens that is a college level text.

The copy I have is the 11th edition, copyright 2006 from Pearson Prentice Hall.

ISBN 0131497510

The Preface starts with the statement that it is a college-level text designed for an introductory course. The book has chapters on rocks, water cycle, earth forces (earthquakes, plate tectonics and volcanoes), oceans, atmosphere and the place of earth in the solar system.

My copy came with a CD bound into the back. It also had no place inside the front cover for students to record their name and the year of issue (like you might find in a high school textbook).