Menu

Anyone here own a "Lhasa-poo" (Lhasa apso/poodle)?

I have a few questions:

DO they shed? Are they smart? How are they with kids?

In general, do you like the mixed breed?

THanks....just looking for opinions....friends of ours has a litter of puppies that they are selling ....and I am wondering about the personality of them???

ps. I thought they were ****zu/poodles originally...but they arent...they are Lhasa-poos.

Friends of ours had one about fourteen years ago. He seemed like a playful, friendly dog. I liked to play with him. These people entertained a lot and he was always friendly to company. Their children were young at the time and I think they all loved him.

Don't remember about the shedding.

Hopefully someone will come along who can better answer your questions.

I know poodles are low/no shed and many people who are allergic to dogs are okay with poodles, but I don't know about Lhasa Aphsos(apsos? Apposos? whatever.)

But, I gotta say it, don't pay a bunch of money for a mutt. A mixed breed dog is a mutt- even if they have a cute little name like dachipoo or Lhasa-poo. Mutt. Not that mutts are BAD- they are usually healthier than pedigreed dogs. I love me some mutts, personally.But as a mixed breed (mutt) there is no breed "standard", so giving them a made up breed (Lhasadoxiechipoo) and charging a whole bunch of money is kind of a racket, IMO.With an actual pedigreed dog, you are paying $$ for a standard of a breed- not possible with a "designer dog". (Personally, I don't pay $$ for purebred dogs either- shelters are full of purebreds, too!)

Go to your local shelter, pound or rescue. Or Petfinder. You will find poodle mixes by the dozens- hundreds even. You can leave a "wish list" at a local rescue/shelter for a certain breed/mix. It will be a whole lot cheaper, and you'll get the satisfaction of doing a good thing.

She didn't shed at all (but had to be combed FREQUENTLY and trimmed a couple times a year). Good with kids, but got crabby as she got older and eventually only liked my mom. Even then she was never aggressive at all, just didn't want anyone messing with her. The only complaints I had about that particular dog were probably related specifically to her and to her "upbringing" (LOL) -- she was never very well trained. Pooped in the corner of the living room frequently. Never learned to heel, barked at the mailman every.single.day. And whined whenever my mom was gone. She was actually very attached to my mom... But I think all of those things were issues with training and with her particular personality. I think she would have been an excellent dog if she were crate-trained, for one. (four kids... never really had her own space...) I tend to think she was pretty smart for a dog... not schnauzer smart, but smart. LOL

Anyway, cute dog, and nothing to discourage you generally -- just be consistent in the training, as you would with any pet. :)

thanks so much for the info.

Yes, we would definitely crate train....and i still dont know if we are getting a puppy yet.

But, they are so darn cute! Am i really ready to go through that whole potty training thing again....???

Our 2 year old dog just got to a point where she can be out of the cage when we arent home....

I dont know if i want to do the puppy thing again,

BUT,..

It would be nice for our dog to have a little playmate....and it would be nice for the kids to have a small dog that they can walk (Our current dog is too strong)

OH THESE DECISIONS!!!

Many of the poodle-mix dogs are advertised as being low-shedding. The thing is, some are -- and some aren't! And there's no way to know for sure!

So if you really need a dog to be non-shedding, get a purebred and be sure!

Anne,

sympathising with the puppy hunger!!

I have owned poodles and Lhasa Apsos and neither of them shed. They are great dogs if you have allergies to dogs. I cannot speak for the mixed breed, but Lhasas are notorious for having nasty dispositions, especially with kids, although mine was even moody around me. Honestly, I've known several and would not recommend them. That said, maybe the mixed breed is not as tempermental. I'd definitely do more research before making the investment!

Years ago we had a Lhaso/Cockerpoo mix. Our Lotspoo was a joy for 14+ years and a great family dog. Now, our guy was an accident of sorts and a freebie. I'll say his grooming was expensive and difficult to keep up with, and he was definitely high energy.

I...Lhasas are notorious for having nasty dispositions, especially with kids, although mine was even moody around me.

This reminded me of dmil's lhasa apso. She was the cutest pup EVER, but once she was grown, she was very aloof and snappy towards dbil (who was but a child). :glare: In the dog's defense, she was the product of a backyard type breeder, not a serious lhasa apso hobbyist.

Johanna, if shedding is an issue fro your family, why not just contact your state's poodle rescue? Poodles definitely do not shed. :001_smile: They're intelligent, loving, and eager to please. Grooming need not be elaborate or expensive; you can even learn to do the clipping yourself.

Sigh. Now I want a poodle... :tongue_smilie:

This reminded me of dmil's lhasa apso. She was the cutest pup EVER, but once she was grown, she was very aloof and snappy towards dbil (who was but a child). :glare:

That's the word I was looking for! Our Lhasa-poo was definitely aloof as she got older (not too snappy, but then we pretty much left her alone). Maybe it wasn't just her personality, but the breed? Hmmm...

Now I want a poodle too ;)

(I'm not a fan of mixed-breed breeds. IMO this encourages puppy mills.)

Let me recommend another breed for cute, gentle, NO SHEDDING, adorable, friendly, good with kids, etc.: Bolognese. After much research a year ago, this is what we settled on for my son (who is not good with dogs) (Don't tell him I said that!) And this dog is a sweetheart! He's the kind of dogs who lolls belly-up in your arms as often as he can. He's like a Webkinz come to life. He LOVES people, and everyone loves him back. Even people who don't like dogs find him hard to resist!

Drawback -- and I think this is true of all nonshedding dogs -- this dog has to be brushed or he'll mat! And the brushing is too complicated for a child to be responsible for. This requires serious brushing. But, as I said, I do think this is true of any non-shedding dog. Either they shed or they mat, to some degree.

ETA: I tried to post a picture, but I can't figure out how. If I can figure it out, I'll come back and put the picture in.

Sigh. Now I want a poodle... :tongue_smilie:

I have always wanted a Standard Poodle. What a great dog. The problem is that I don't want to drive a bigger car, so I got a Cocker/Lhasa mix from the shelter. Sweet dog, but dumb, dumb, dumb.