Menu

Need help -- dessert or appetizer recipe

Hi all! I don't usually go out much to parties or go to girl's night out type of things, but I was invited to a girl's night out at a friend's house that I think I want to go to. It will be with a bunch of other twin moms that I already know so I would be comfortable in the setting.

Anyway, each of us are to bring either an appetizer or dessert. I cook for my family all the time, but not anything super fancy. I'm not the best baker in the world either -- I tried doing my own b-day cakes for the boys, but I will only do store bought cakes now. I have no idea what to bring so I don't embarass myself. Any suggestions for something yummy yet easy for either an appetizer or dessert? There will be about 12 of us if everyone comes.

Thanks so much!!!

When I want really easy but impressive, I go with honeyed feta. Get a good-sized chunk of feta from the store and put it on a pretty plate. Drizzle it with warmed honey (30 seconds or so in a microwave should do it) and coarsely-ground black pepper. Surround it with crackers.

That's it. It looks beautiful, and the salty/sweet/peppery flavor is lovely.

Something I LOVE is cream cheese (or the little soft cheese wedges by Laughing Cow....) with various jams and crackers. The pepper jams are especially amazing this way, and raspberry is always a hit.

Also - any sort of warm spinach/cheese dip is good :)

These are two that I never get tired of (don't know about my guests or friends, but they always eat them! LOL):

Fruit Pizza (I use the refrigerated sugar cookie dough in a pinch!) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/fruit-pizza-i/detail.aspx

and along the same lines...

Garden Veggie Pizza Squares http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garden-veggie-pizza-squares/detail.aspx

They look so nice and are very easy.

My go to appetizer:

fresh mozzarella balls or chunks

cheese tortellini (cooked)

grape tomatoes

black olives

basil leaves

pesto

short skewers

Cook the tortellini and let it cool. On a skewer, thread a tomato, mozzarella, basil leaf, 1 tortellini, an olive. Or put on two of them, depending on the length of your skewers. Drizzle pesto over all the skewers and let them marinate for a few hours. Serve on a pretty plate.

These are always gone quickly, and they are very easy to make. You can also add green olives, or chunks of salami. There is no wrong way to make them, and they taste really good.