Menu

What is a good brand of children's vitamins and supplements?

I've been reading "What's Eating Your Child" by Kelly Dorfman, and in it she states several times to not use gummy vitamins for your child. Oops. So I'm not sure what qualifies as a good vitamin, and where to get it, but I'm guessing it's probably not sold at my local WalMart, right?

I spent all of last week researching this because my older dd's immune system has taken a hit this year. I ended up deciding not to do a multi-vitamin because I don't think they're actually that good for you. I did start both dds on a daily D3 and probiotic. I'm nowhere near an expert on vitamins but this is what I'm comfortable doing right now as we've never done vitamins before.

D3 is here

http://www.vitacost.com/MegaFood-Kids-N-Us-Vitamin-D3

and the probiotic is here

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Primadophilus-Junior

We used Flinstone vitamins for a long time until I realized they contain aspartame. I switched to the gummy vitamins (gummy Vites) because they do not. I know you aren't supposed to give kids vitamins that look like candy (because they might eat them all), but I put them away where they do not have access to them, and I have explained the dangers of eating more then the recommended amount.

We used Flinstone vitamins for a long time until I realized they contain aspartame. I switched to the gummy vitamins (gummy Vites) because they do not. I know you aren't supposed to give kids vitamins that look like candy (because they might eat them all), but I put them away where they do not have access to them, and I have explained the dangers of eating more then the recommended amount.

I keep ours put away also, but I've read recently that they are very bad for the teeth and also they contain too many "extra" ingredients and not enough actual vitamins and minerals.

Why not gummy vitamins? We're not currently using gummy vitamins, but I have before and might again depending on where I am next time I remember that I've run out.

Right now I'm pretty sure they're taking Nutristars by rainbow light (but the label is missing so I'm only 90% sure). They might be Multistars instead.

They also take a probiotic and a chewable d3.

If I could give my kids only 1 supplement, it would be Green Pastures cod liver and butter oil mix. Expensive, but so good. I also give things from Premier

Research labs when I supplement otherwise. New Chapter Organics is also a good brand but don't know if they have kids vitamins.

I spent all of last week researching this because my older dd's immune system has taken a hit this year. I ended up deciding not to do a multi-vitamin because I don't think they're actually that good for you. I did start both dds on a daily D3 and probiotic. I'm nowhere near an expert on vitamins but this is what I'm comfortable doing right now as we've never done vitamins before.

D3 is here

http://www.vitacost.com/MegaFood-Kids-N-Us-Vitamin-D3

and the probiotic is here

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Primadophilus-Junior

Can I ask why you decided against a multi? In our case, my reason for wanting a multi is because my kids are incredibly picky eaters. I think a multi might help to fill in some gaps. I'm considering a probiotic, especially for my kid that deals with constipation a lot. I don't know much about D3....:bigear:

If I could give my kids only 1 supplement, it would be Green Pastures cod liver and butter oil mix. Expensive, but so good. I also give things from Premier

Research labs when I supplement otherwise. New Chapter Organics is also a good brand but don't know if they have kids vitamins.

Does cod liver oil have the same benefits as any other fish oil?

Can I ask why you decided against a multi? In our case, my reason for wanting a multi is because my kids are incredibly picky eaters. I think a multi might help to fill in some gaps. I'm considering a probiotic, especially for my kid that deals with constipation a lot. I don't know much about D3....:bigear:

My dd took Garden Gummies until I got her tummy troubles straightened out. But they're the gummies again which isn't what you were looking for.

My dd took Garden Gummies until I got her tummy troubles straightened out. But they're the gummies again which isn't what you were looking for.

Those look pretty good, except I don't know what ORAC is. A google search will clear that up for me in a minute. Right now I'm using Pedia-Lax Fiber Gummies because that's what WalMart has. (not necessarily a good reason, I know.)

I'm a careful label reader, and we take them right before bed so the kids floss and brush after taking them. I guess I won't start fearing gummies yet. ;)

I wouldn't fear them either, if weren't for my kids' dental history. :)

Does cod liver oil have the same benefits as any other fish oil?

Generally, fish oil does not contain the vitamins A (pre-formed) & D that cod liver oil does. We use Carlson's (lemon-flavored) Fish Oil because of the mild taste (most cod liver oils taste yucky). We add D3 and get enough vit A through diet.

The problem with most multivitamins (kids and adults) is that they are basically useless. Firstly they do not contain enough of the vitamin to actually make a difference and secondly to keep them cheap and affordable the vitamins are made from the cheapest source available -usually things that are non-organic and not easy absorbed by the body so they pass through unused.

Anything with "oxide" or "alpha" is basically useless (and if you look at most of the multis you get these are their main types of vitamins.)

Once a day multivitamins do not contain enough of the vitamins to help your body if it has a deficiency because then the tablet would be huge. You can tell a vitamin is better quality if the instructions advise you to take 2-3 of them a day. The longer the list of vitamins in the pill - the more of them you should have to take.

It is far better to get your vitamins from food because those vitamins are organic and easily assimilated into your body -which is also organic. The body simply doesn't use non-organic vitamins very well - which is what most of the supermarket ones are made from.

You need to go to a health store and get good quality vitamins (meaning expensive) if you want them to be of any use. Look for ones that use the term BIO -they are created from organic sources.

I do have one child who desperately needs extra vitamins -and I'm still looking for a good child friendly vitamin -they are difficult to find and costly.

Edited by sewingmama

• 10 years later...

If you're looking for a good brand, check out lifeextension and pure encapsulations. Avoid supplements with large amounts of vitamins A or E, as they are easy to overdose. Vitamin D should be below 1000 IU/d in infants ages 0–6 months, 1500 IU/d in infants ages 6–12 months; 2500 IU/d in children ages 1–5 years; 3000 IU/d in children ages 4–8 years, and 4000 IU/d in adolescents and adults.

When it comes to evaluating a vitamin, it's pretty easy but not quick: look in the nutrition facts, it should say something like "Magnesium as magnesium sulfate". Goog terms like "magnesium sulfate" or "magnesium sulfate vs" and you'll find that it's much cheaper and lower quality than magnesium glycinate or magnesium chelate. Repeat as necessary for every ingredient. 

When comparing two or more multivitamins, its easy to compare the vitamin forms - just google form a vs form b. For example, let's say I'm comparing Nutristars with liquinutrients. The former has Magnesium as magnesium hydroxide, while the latter has it as citrate. A quick google search reveals this article which says that mag citrate is better than mag oxide, but what about mag hydroxide? Is it similar enough to mag oxide? Well this study found similar magnesium levels between mag oxide and mag hydroxide in cows, so it's reasonable to believe that citrate would be better in humans.

Let's compare liquinutrients and purepals. Right at the beginning, you can see that purepals includes vitamin a palmitate, which liquinutrients doesn't. Is this a gimmick or useful? We google and find this which shows that it's useful for younger children, especially preemies, but is not recommended for pregnant women (which is why it's in a kids multi).

Repeat for every ingredient.

If you take notes, it'll get easier over time as you'll be able to recognize good and cheap forms of each vitamin either from memory or your notes. Also, products tend to either use lots of cheap ingredients, or lots of high quality ingredients.

Edited by Malam