Menu

If the Kindle Fire does eventually go 3G, how close would it be to an iPad?

I'm just sure it will go 3G eventually, and I'd need it to do so for the places I want to take it.

How comparable would it then be to an iPad? I'm not that familiar yet with the iPad but I don't want to ask for one for my upcoming bday if the Kindle Fire in 3G would be similar enough! (I'm fine with waiting til it goes 3G.)

As someone with a 3G iPad 2 who is too cheap to pay $25/mo. for 2GB of data, I simply don't see the value of a Kindle Fire with 3G.

I *really* don't think there is a possibility to get 3G for free like you see on other Kindles, since the Kindle Fire will actually be able to use all that internet.

We have 2 Kindle Fires on order, so I can give you a better comparison in about one month. My guess is that it will be quite a bit more limited than an iPad, but that it will suit for what MomsintheGarden and I want/need. Our current plan is to get three more iPads for little Guheerts for Christmas, but we are holding off on that until we see the Kindle Fires. If we like them well enough, they will get that instead.

One thing I wondered about the Fire is that if you were to download a movie or show if you could watch it offline. And I guess you can. So if you plan ahead you can have the stuff you want to read/watch/etc. anywhere you are (and not pay for connecting).
I am going to guess that you cannot. The Kindle Fire only has 8 GB of storage and a movie tends to be between 1 and 2.5 GB. The OS will use ~1 GB. I really think Amazon's intentions for this thing is to stream your movies, not to download them.

But this is just a guess. They do allow you do download movies on your PC, so perhaps they will allow this, as well.

I asked my husband and he claimed he looked that up and he said it's possible.
I agree it is possible. But if Amazon had intended for it to be used that way, then I expect they would have put more than 8 GB in the box. OTOH, perhaps Amazon decided their price point first ($199) and then worked backwards to what they could fit in there. Going forward, I would expect the price point to remain and the capability to grow. Since Apple is doing that at $499 with the iPads, I expect the Kindle Fire will always lag the iPads in terms of capability.

The question is simply "What is "good enough" for my needs?"

Is there a chart anywhere that lists a feature comparison?

I want them both, of course, but I have not been able to figure out why I need one. :D

We use Hughes for our internet (sattelite) and that make streaming impossible (downloading is not that fun either, grrr).

I have an ipod and Kindle already, and our house is small enough to make getting to our mac very easy, so why? Sigh.

We use Hughes for our internet (sattelite) and that make streaming impossible (downloading is not that fun either, grrr).
What do you mean?? We have HughesNet also and we can download whatever we want between 2:00 AM and 7:00 AM!! :tongue_smilie:

One of the primary uses MomsintheGarden and I have for these devices is web browsing. Frankly, the iPad has probably the worst web browser we have in our house. It is pretty slow and does not work on Flash content.

By comparison, I fully expect that the Kindle Fire will have the BEST web browser in our house due to their cloud-based browser technology. This will be particularly true given that we have the high latency that comes with HughesNet.

(All that said, now that iOS 5 has iCloud support for the iDevices, I FULLY expect them to announce their own cloud-based browser technology to solve both their problems with speed and Flash support.)

YES-that chart was what I needed, thanks!

I mainly want it for web browsing, cking email, etc when away from home (anywhere-even places w/ no wireless). Also for reading books like a Kindle. I only have a Tracphone, so it would be handy to have the Kindle be enough to do these few other things, for free, away from home since my phone does NOTHING. :tongue_smilie:

And I really, really don't want to pay out for an iPad. And I like that the Kindle Fire is smaller. Plus I am a PC girl, not Apple, so I'd like to keep it that way if possible so I don't get compatibility issues.

I have a 3rd generation Kindle (no 3G) and when I connect to wireless, the web browsing is too slow to even use!

Edited by HappyGrace