Menu

wws is ok doing togetheR?

my son is in gr.7 with no experience in classical writing . we focused all the last 6 years on narrative/poetry writing.(writing workshop model). he likes creative writing.he is not keen on the switchover so even in week 5 he requires me to do the lesson with him. he prefers it .I read the lesson aloud and then send him off to do assignment. i am there to work with him if he gets stuck or revise his narrations/outlines. is that ok?by week 13 do you think he will be able to do it independtly. also is it normal some lessons take over an hour?

thanks

mariss

ps im so pleased with his expository writing . i hope this will help us with history/science writing which until now we havent focused on as i didnt know how to teach it.

We are in week 5, and have started to notice the wordiness in some of the lessons. My DD is only in 5th, she does it independently, but I find myself explaining the lesson after she has spent 15 min. with it herself, at times. I was thinking, just yesterday, that I may have to do some of them with her. (This is especially true with the topio exercises.) Lessons take 30 min. - 1 hour long for us. I think some of this is due to trying to decipher what exactly we need to do in the lesson. We are still loving it, though.

That is weird we are on week 5 and this is the first week that dd11 has really needed help. She completely missed the main points. I would have to agree that when I went back over it there seemed to be a pretty big difference from the previous weeks. Maybe this is just the stage where the stakes are bumped up a little. Anyway it doesn't look like it is going to be real independent here right now either.

My DD12 is in 7th and we are just starting Week 9. I let her try to read through the lesson on her own, and sometimes she goes ahead and works on it, but I find that it is a little lengthy and wordy, so she often wants me to go over it as well, before she attempts it. The lessons usually take between 30 min and an hour. Sometimes I want to 'jump ship', because with 5 DC I really need my DD to be more independent, but I really think that the skills that are taught in WWS are worth the extra effort that we have to put in.

My son has a tendency to work very, very hard on an assignment and either not read the directions or not really understand them. He's a bit like that in life as well, lol. All good intention and good attitude with lots of missing the mark. :lol: I feel like I spend my life saying, "that was great, honey, but you needed to do this thing over here."

Anyway, I don't set him loose with much. In WWS I always verbally review the directions. I generally flip to part two and discuss what he will be doing and then go back to part 1 and quickly scan over it, telling him where best to put his attentions. Then I do let him do the whole thing on his own. It only takes a few mins for me to do this and I get a much better end result.

So, maybe try that before just backing away totally?

My son has a tendency to work very, very hard on an assignment and either not read the directions or not really understand them. He's a bit like that in life as well, lol. All good intention and good attitude with lots of missing the mark. :lol: I feel like I spend my life saying, "that was great, honey, but you needed to do this thing over here."

Anyway, I don't set him loose with much. In WWS I always verbally review the directions. I generally flip to part two and discuss what he will be doing and then go back to part 1 and quickly scan over it, telling him where best to put his attentions. Then I do let him do the whole thing on his own. It only takes a few mins for me to do this and I get a much better end result.

So, maybe try that before just backing away totally?

Your first paragraph totally describes my son!!!

This is my 7th graders first year homeschooling and we are using WWS together. He didn't learn narration, summarizing, or much outlining in school so I break everything down and make sure he understands the what and why or the assignments. I am really hopeful and impressed with the program.