Menu

Extreme Couponing question

I'm watching this show on TLC. It's giving me hives, I would go insane trying to do that.

My question is on when a coupon is more than the product. One person had the store giving her credit for that overage. I always thought if the coupon was more than the product you got the product for free, but the store didn't give you money back. Is it standard for a store to give you store credit or cash back for those overages, or is it certain chains?

Honestly I don't use coupons that much, there isn't much we buy that takes a coupon, so I haven't tried the free/overage thing.

I haven't seen this show, because we don't have cable, but I have heard these televised shopping trips are somewhat staged. That being said, when I was first couponing about 4 years ago, I did get overage at Wal-Mart. The infamous k-y coupon deal. :tongue_smilie: The price was $2.52, coupon was for $3.00 off. I bought other things, so no cash back, but the extra applied to the rest of my order. The reasoning was that the store would get all $3.00 back, but I think the clearinghouses do a better job matching coupons to sales logs now. Most stores have clear policies that they will adjust the coupon and not give overage, but four years ago adjusting the coupon was considered "fraud".

The really good overage came from rebates combined with sales and coupons, but the rebates at Walgreens ended, and I don't see many in the paper anymore.

Most stores will give overage now, Wal-Mart has changed it's policy to allow it. The reasoning behind it is that the store will be reimbursed for the full amount of the coupon plus a handling fee for taking the coupon. I don't use a lot of coupons that give overage but I have done so for a few cents here or there but I make sure I have enough other items to absorb the overage. I don't know to me getting overage just seems wrong.

I believe it was Lowe's foods who recently came out with a statement that said that they regretted allowing the show to film at their store. I don't know of a single store around here that would allow someone to come in and do 30 or more transactions to accommodate their coupons. The only store I know of that allows overage is walmart and coupons are such a hassle there I wouldn't even attempt it.

I believe their savings are falsely elevated because they buy such large quantities of things that they can get for free like ramen noodles or sports drinks. I have yet to see an episode that they don't not buy sports drinks or vitamin water. Recently tic-tacs had a $1 off coupon and they are $1 each at the store so the lady bought 260 boxes and had coupons for each one making her have a 100% savings....but one cannot live on tic-tacs and vitamin water :glare:.

Overages make sense to me.

I buy product for $2.00

I use a coupon for $3.00

I get paid $1.00

Walmart records:

Sale $2.00

Payment to me $1.00

Then they file the coupon and get reimbursed $3.00

If they didn't pay me, then they would receive an extra dollar for the product. Instead of making $2.00 on the product, they would make $3.00. Since I have put in the time and effort to track down the coupons, cut them and use them... I feel like the extra $1.00 is mine rather than Walmart's.

I use a lot of coupons. Yes, overages are available to the average person. I get all or nearly all of our toiletries for free.

The show is a bit unrealistic in its quantities. Most people can't get their hands on that many coupons. I buy 4 papers so I have 4 of each type but certainly not 257 of one type of coupons. That is pretty nuts! One lady on the show said that the manufacturers gave her coupons for free/nearly free items so that their labels would show up on the show. Free advertisement ;) Again, not coupons I'd typically have access to.

You can "buy" coupons (they state that you are paying for their time since it is illegal to buy coupons). But they aren't free. That hits against the bottom dollar. I don't ever see the show report how much people are spending on any coupons that are bought. And the ones that print? That is a lot of paper and ink. Is it worth it? Yes. But again, there is some cost involved there. The percentage saved is definitely skewed.

I have done Grocery Game and other various things and get told repeatedly as per store police (at least when we were in WA) that they only allow X amount of coupons per product. Like say I am buying pasta.

Store sale. 10/10

3 coupons at save 50 cents off

3 store double coupons

I hear "sorry we can't accept all of these coupons because doubling your 50 cent coupon double would give you the product for free".

Also most coupons aren't for things we use. I see lots for pop tarts/cereal (which depending what it is we use)/frozen pizzas/fruit snacks/etc. We try to eat whole foods and minimally processed. We rarely see coupons for things like $x off of produce. I see it for meat sometimes but we rarely eat meat (by choice) so yep lol

The show is really quite unrealistic--as a pp mentioned, rarely do people get 250 copies of the same coupon. I get five newspapers each week and occasionally might get an extra from a friend. So usually when I have a coupon to match with a deal, my limit is five. They also do some unethical things (imo), such as using coupons for different sizes than stated on the coupon and such.

As far as getting overages--it's not every week that this happens, but occasionally there will be a great coupon out there where you get a little bit extra. The store gets reimbursed by the manufacturer--so they are not necessarily out any money--and the manufacturer gets you to use their product (when perhaps you normally would not have), so it's probably pretty good marketing on their end.

At first I thought there was no need for coupons as I didn't really need to buy Totino's pizzas or fruit roll ups--but I have actually been amazed at how many things there ARE coupons for. Toiletries is one area that I just hadn't thought about--but I will never again pay more than a quarter for toothpaste or toothbrushes or deoderant. And cleaners and laundry detergent and dish soap and toilet paper and kleenex--never again will I pay the crazy prices in the store! I have recently gotten canned beans for 12 cents a can, yeast for pennies, canned vegetables for a quarter, etc. I got Hasbro games for Christmas with $5 off coupons. I got makeup for dd's stocking for free. I got a dollar off strawberries or blueberries. I get a dollar off a gallon of milk occasionally. I get batteries for pretty cheap. I get vitamins and supplements and bandaids and medicine for dollars less than I would normally pay.

It does take a little effort, but it's worth it to me. Every little bit helps! I do experiment a bit with brands--and once I get a supply built up for our family for 6 mo-year, I have no need to buy any more...but I can't tell you what a difference couponing has made for our family since I started in May.

The show is really quite unrealistic--as a pp mentioned, rarely do people get 250 copies of the same coupon. I get five newspapers each week and occasionally might get an extra from a friend. So usually when I have a coupon to match with a deal, my limit is five. They also do some unethical things (imo), such as using coupons for different sizes than stated on the coupon and such.

As far as getting overages--it's not every week that this happens, but occasionally there will be a great coupon out there where you get a little bit extra. The store gets reimbursed by the manufacturer--so they are not necessarily out any money--and the manufacturer gets you to use their product (when perhaps you normally would not have), so it's probably pretty good marketing on their end.

At first I thought there was no need for coupons as I didn't really need to buy Totino's pizzas or fruit roll ups--but I have actually been amazed at how many things there ARE coupons for. Toiletries is one area that I just hadn't thought about--but I will never again pay more than a quarter for toothpaste or toothbrushes or deoderant. And cleaners and laundry detergent and dish soap and toilet paper and kleenex--never again will I pay the crazy prices in the store! I have recently gotten canned beans for 12 cents a can, yeast for pennies, canned vegetables for a quarter, etc. I got Hasbro games for Christmas with $5 off coupons. I got makeup for dd's stocking for free. I got a dollar off strawberries or blueberries. I get a dollar off a gallon of milk occasionally. I get batteries for pretty cheap. I get vitamins and supplements and bandaids and medicine for dollars less than I would normally pay.

It does take a little effort, but it's worth it to me. Every little bit helps! I do experiment a bit with brands--and once I get a supply built up for our family for 6 mo-year, I have no need to buy any more...but I can't tell you what a difference couponing has made for our family since I started in May.

I don't mean this to sound snarky, but where do you find these coupons? Even when I was getting the paper weekly I could rarely find coupons for the actual products we use (and we started using store brand because I couldn't find coupons for the store brand scents/unscented/flavors/etc that we use).

Some ways we save money to is we use only rechargeable batteries for most everything. We are finally running out of our stock pile and we've been through almost 18 months with it.

Overages make sense to me.

I buy product for $2.00

I use a coupon for $3.00

I get paid $1.00

Walmart records:

Sale $2.00

Payment to me $1.00

Then they file the coupon and get reimbursed $3.00

If they didn't pay me, then they would receive an extra dollar for the product. Instead of making $2.00 on the product, they would make $3.00. Since I have put in the time and effort to track down the coupons, cut them and use them... I feel like the extra $1.00 is mine rather than Walmart's.

I use a lot of coupons. Yes, overages are available to the average person. I get all or nearly all of our toiletries for free.

The show is a bit unrealistic in its quantities. Most people can't get their hands on that many coupons. I buy 4 papers so I have 4 of each type but certainly not 257 of one type of coupons. That is pretty nuts! One lady on the show said that the manufacturers gave her coupons for free/nearly free items so that their labels would show up on the show. Free advertisement ;) Again, not coupons I'd typically have access to.

You can "buy" coupons (they state that you are paying for their time since it is illegal to buy coupons). But they aren't free. That hits against the bottom dollar. I don't ever see the show report how much people are spending on any coupons that are bought. And the ones that print? That is a lot of paper and ink. Is it worth it? Yes. But again, there is some cost involved there. The percentage saved is definitely skewed.

:iagree:The store is getting reimbursed for the coupon, plus a handling fee. Why should they get to keep the extra dollar when the consumer has done all the work? Wal-Mart is very smart to allow overage. More people will shop there now. Although, I've argued with no less than 3 checkout people about the policy. I also have it in writing. Every time I go to customer service to let them know they need to train better.

Where do you find coupons for fresh fruit? I've never seen one.

I've been watching the Extreme Couponing show now and then when I can't sleep, and it kind of drives me crazy. Yes, I need to save some money. So, I watch the show and get all fired up about coupons, but then I discover that there aren't enough for things I actually buy to make any significant dent.

For example, we're ethical vegans. So, I'm not ever going to buy frozen pizza or fruit roll-ups (cheese in the first, sugar in the second). But I'm also not going to buy mainstream brands of toiletries or cleaning supplies, since I buy only brands I can verify are cruelty free (no animal testing). Ditto for make-up.

Now, fresh fruit? Yes, that I buy. But I have literally never seen a coupon for it. So, where do you get those?

Where do you find coupons for fresh fruit? I've never seen one.

I've been watching the Extreme Couponing show now and then when I can't sleep, and it kind of drives me crazy. Yes, I need to save some money. So, I watch the show and get all fired up about coupons, but then I discover that there aren't enough for things I actually buy to make any significant dent.

For example, we're ethical vegans. So, I'm not ever going to buy frozen pizza or fruit roll-ups (cheese in the first, sugar in the second). But I'm also not going to buy mainstream brands of toiletries or cleaning supplies, since I buy only brands I can verify are cruelty free (no animal testing). Ditto for make-up.

Now, fresh fruit? Yes, that I buy. But I have literally never seen a coupon for it. So, where do you get those?

See that's my issue too. It's very very hard for me to find coupons for whole foods and minimally processed stuff. Occasionally I will find something I can use but yeah not very frequently. I hate buying P&G because of their ties to animal cruelty but most of what I find coupon wise is for P&G and other companies (like parent company Nestle).

Some ways we save money to is we use only rechargeable batteries for most everything. We are finally running out of our stock pile and we've been through almost 18 months with it.

Ways we save money:

I buy store brands.

I shop much of the time at Aldi or SuperTarget. I have a Target debit card (no fees) that gives me 5% of every purchase.

I watch for sales and stock up when I find a good price.

I cook a lot from scratch.

I don't buy meat or much in the way of dairy products (some cheese occasionally for my husband).

I'm not averse to using coupons. I just find it doesn't help us much. Every few weeks, I check the websites for manufacturers of products I do use and print any coupons I find there. Although we don't always get the paper, when we do I go through the sale and coupon inserts with a fine-toothed comb. I'm signed up for e-mail newsletters from services that focus on natural and organic products.

But, on an average week, I might save $2 with coupons.

Thanks everyone, great conversation.

I find toiletry coupons, but it's never in brands I use, plus it's still not cheaper with the coupon than I brand I buy.

The show was almost like watching people gamble. I couldn't, don't have the budget either, stand there and HOPE my calculations added up. The people looked almost captivated, it's probably a high like curriculum research. :lol:

My first thought was some of those basements/garages look like Proctor & Gamble warehouses. I'll admit it would be nice to get some things for free, but I'm not investing 35 hours a week into it.

I did go print some coupons I'll use from swagbucks and I'll check my grocery paper.

We stocked up on some food last winter because we could, but some of it went stale before we ever got to it. Unless you had a big family I couldn't imagine stocking 40 boxes of pasta.

I'm just glad dh wasn't watching it, he'd want me to try more. :ack2:

Ways we save money:

I buy store brands.

I shop much of the time at Aldi or SuperTarget. I have a Target debit card (no fees) that gives me 5% of every purchase.

I watch for sales and stock up when I find a good price.

I cook a lot from scratch.

I don't buy meat or much in the way of dairy products (some cheese occasionally for my husband).

I'm not averse to using coupons. I just find it doesn't help us much. Every few weeks, I check the websites for manufacturers of products I do use and print any coupons I find there. Although we don't always get the paper, when we do I go through the sale and coupon inserts with a fine-toothed comb. I'm signed up for e-mail newsletters from services that focus on natural and organic products.

But, on an average week, I might save $2 with coupons.

Yep that's what we do too. I check my local ads and try to match up but I"m not going to just buy something because it's a great sale. The sale will come back again lol.

Here's a site for those in the west: http://www.dealstomeals.com/howitworks.cfm She has a service (but you could do this too) that looks for the sales in stores and then you go to Walmart and price match those sales - no coupons. She tells you what to get when it's rock bottom. By going to Walmart and price matching you don't have to bother with running from store to store. She also has recipes using these ingredients.

I believe she is LDS and utilizes a food storage but you don't have to. I like her recipes but can't use her service because I live in the east.

Watch the news clip here of her and a coupon girl going head to head:

http://dealstomeals.blogspot.com/ go all the way down to the end of the page. This is her blog where all the recipes are and she shows you what she buys on a regular basis.

Live on the East coast as well. Probably doesn't help either that I am ethically opposed to Walmart lol.

In Florida it is a little harder because there is no doubling of coupon.

You do not see purchase of produce or meats on the show(sometimes but not with coupons---it's more like Winn Dixie--BOGO Buy 1 get 1 free.

You can save on toiletries, etc.

I don't do extreme couponing for food because we don't eat anything processed or with preservatives, coloring, etc. I do dairy free and semi-gluten free. However, I have been able to get free toothpaste, etc., and spend on food. Even shopping at Whole Foods, I have been able to save in Florida.

I did read that the show is staged. I can't remember where I read the article but Lowe's did issue an apology because in real life the store would not do what they did for one of the shows. The show with the shelf clearer was staged and the man that comes up after her to get something from the empty shelf is part of the show crew.

Regardless, there are some good episodes even if unrealistic. I'm not a TV watcher. I caught this show very late one evening. It did spur me on to looking into couponing which I thought I could never benefit from considering how we eat.

I have been able to donate to the Food Pantry at church more than before.

Walmart will give you full credit for a coupon that is over the sale price. You have to make sure you purchase additional items. You do not get money back or a store card.

I have gotten free toothpaste at PUblix by combining sales with store coupon and manufacturers coupons. I don't have much time to spend. I don't do the matching, I go to one of the websites, i.e. www.southernsavers.com, www.thekrazycouponlady.com, www.truecouponing.com , www.couponmom.com.

The sites match the sales with coupons from newspaper or printables.

I have been able to save on organics or Whole Foods with printables

Again, I do not believe it is possible to do what the show stages. I do believe you can save at least 50%.

You can really save on toiletries. I shop at Publix, Whole Foods, CVS.

If you can go to WalMart and/or Target you can save more.

I don't know about overage and all that, but I watched Extreme Couponing once. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. There is no reason for a grown man to cry in the grocery store because he only saved $200 off his grocery order. No reason. I think those people have an illness.

The fruit coupons I've gotten have been from Driscoll's--and yes, my Walmart doubles up to a $1--I got them every few weeks on their website throughout the summer. They also sent me some for my birthday last month. :D I've gotten a few coupons for bananas and apples from various websites online occasionally, too.

The biggest way I save on fruits/vegetables/bread/meat/eggs/milk is by using Walmart's store matching policy. I have a few websites I check weekly where they enter all of the sale prices around my area (plus any manufacturing coupons from paper or online with links). After doing it awhile, I've figured out prices I'm willing to spend on various items--so as I look through their lists, I simply add it to my onsite grocery list if I want to buy it. For example, one store might have had Green Leaf lettuce on sale for 50 cents a pound; while Walmart's price is 99 cents. When I go to the store, at the checkout, I simply have to tell them the lettuce is 50 cents a pound. I just buy what fruits and vegetables are on sale somewhere that week. Our Walmart has signs up at every register saying they will match any price AND stating you don't need to show the ads (although I always bring my ads & usually offer to the clerk to show them).

Well, as I mentioned, I'm not particular about brands and I also have no problems using things like Crest toothpaste, Wisk laundry detergent, Suave shampoo, Spic&Span cleansers, S&W canned beans, El Paso refried beans, Scott toilet paper, Reynolds aluminum foil, Welch's grape jelly, Campbell's soup, Goldfish crackers. Typically I would buy store brands of these types of things--yet when I have a sale price from a local store + a manufacturer's coupon--if it is cheaper than the store brand, I buy it.

As for the many other coupons offered--no, I don't buy poptarts or gogurt or twizzlers or chex mix or hamburger helper when I go to the store. I did use some of these types of coupons this summer as we prepared to go on our family vacation--it was very fun for my kids to get some treat types of things that we normally don't get--but I was able to get them for very cheap. And this past week I was able to buy chocolate milk for 1.12--my kids were thrilled and it was a pretty fun treat for them.

www.hip2save.com and www.freebies2deals.com are two websites I check frequently. What i love about them is they have links for online coupons plus they let you know of sales & deals on things other than groceries.

My local website that helps with my grocery comparisons is www.savvyshopperdeals.com in case there are any Utah County mamas who haven't checked it out.

I don't know about overage and all that, but I watched Extreme Couponing once. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. There is no reason for a grown man to cry in the grocery store because he only saved $200 off his grocery order. No reason. I think those people have an illness.

I agree. However, there was one episode that he was a soldier in Afghanistan and while he was there the Lord placed in his heart that when he returned home he was to do ministry work.

He does this as a ministry and donates monthly to shelters or whatever mission he was donating to. Another one did so for the troops.

This is what sparked my interest into using coupons. Of course, nothing like the show. I wanted to give more to my food pantry and to look into helping the troops.

As a result, I have been able to save some for my home.

A great book is Saving Savvy by Kelly Hancock, www.faithfulprovisions.com. (She is christian and her book does include scripture).

Another good book for understanding coupons is the one by the Krazy Coupon Lady. However, you really don't need to read books. Most of the websites have simple tutorials. Again, this will not be Extreme Couponing but you can save and share more.

:iagree: I could have written this post! This summer we saved SO MUCH MONEY, and really stocked up for winter. Right now I'm not doing any shopping because we have everything except perishables. Don't ask where I stored the toilet paper, but we're good 'til Christmas :D

But see this is the secret. You do buy when it's a great sale even if you don't need it. That way you will build up the pantry and hardly every pay full price for stuff. I have a great pantry and only go to the grocery for fresh items or for the sale things. I can bake my own bread, make my own cereal etc. out of my pantry.

I don't coupon anymore but I do shop at Aldi's and Costco mostly. I have a Food Lion very close so I'll go there for the occasional fresh item I need or if they have a great sale on something. I shop the seasonal stuff. Condiments in the summer, baking supplies in the winter, etc.

When I said that I meant like I"m not going to buy 6 bags of chips because they are a great deal. We don't eat chips much.

But see this is the secret. You do buy when it's a great sale even if you don't need it. That way you will build up the pantry and hardly every pay full price for stuff. I have a great pantry and only go to the grocery for fresh items or for the sale things. I can bake my own bread, make my own cereal etc. out of my pantry.

This is what I do, stock up so I don't have to pay full price. We do use coupons and feel it has saved us quite a bit. Plus I have been able to help my mil when she was short on cash. I was able to give her enough groceries to get her through until she got paid again.

Same here. I won't buy something for the sake of buying something because I can get it for cheap.

If I bought 6 bags of chips, I'd eat them all. I cannot buy chips! ;) Chips are my weakness.

Another issue I've encountered is that the kinds of foods we eat most don't tend to keep that long.

So, for example, those elusive coupons for fresh strawberries? At .50 per coupon, per package, I couldn't save more than $1 or so per week, because the fruit would go bad before we got around to eating it. (Yes, I could freeze them, but I can buy frozen berries year round, which are cheaper than fresh, anyway.)

I look at the stockpiles they show on TV and think, how are they ever going to eat all of that before it goes bad? Even the stuff in boxes gets stale.

Our biggest expenses in regular grocery shopping are things like soy milk (and even the shelf-stable stuff goes bad within a few months), fresh fruits and veggies, orange juice, etc. There are precious few coupons on any of those items, and none of them keep long enough to allow for stockpiling.

I have found coupons for soy milk lately, but not on the brands that either of my kids like to drink. So, I use them for soy milk to use in baking, but, again, we're talking maybe $1 or $2 savings per week, if I'm lucky.