Menu

X-Post: Duke TIP Question

Eh, we're having to decide about this because for my 7th grader we sign up for this now, or we don't do it at all. This is the opportunity to take the SAT or ACT as a 7th grader, and if you score decently well (for a 7th grader) you get some advantages.

I can't decide if it's worth trying to do this. We started homeschooling last year, so this is only our 2nd year of Hsing. The thing is, a lot of his friends from his former school are taking it, so there is a lot of "mom talk" about it. None of them seem to have the concerns that I do. I do know his prior standardized test scores met the criteria, so I'm not worried about that aspect.

Mainly, I'm wondering if it is worth the effort. There is a monetary amount to sign up, there is the fact of getting to and taking the test, probably the biggest thing would be (for me) having this test LOOMING, and wondering to what extent (if any) I'd need to try to prepare him. Like, getting to some of the math topics. Secondly, when I took the test, there was no writing portion at all. So I'd have to figure out how to prepare him for that. I have to decide on SAT vs ACT. (his friends are all taking SAT) Any advantage of one over the other?

Then, are the benefits worth the prepping. 3 weeks at Duke. I know if faced with this we wouldn't send him alone. Hubby isn't going to take 3 weeks off work. I guess that would mean myself and son #2 taking a 3-week vacation in N.C. at some hotel? Hmmm. Or maybe we'd end up doing a weekend thing in Florida (where we live). That's close by in Sarasota, I think. But is it worth the hassle just for a weekend of academia that may or may not appeal to him depending on what the topics are?

Musing to myself here: is this just to say, "hey, he qualified for Duke TIP?" That doesn't seem like a good enough reason. Maybe there is a part of me that is thinking we need to show the other moms "we are still on track" with the school kids. EEK. Bad reason. Not worth prepping and testing just for that.

But is there something significant that he would gain that I'm overlooking? The "testing experience?" Knowing areas of strength/weakness? OTOH, I don't want him to feel he didn't do well on the test just because there might be plenty of stuff that we haven't covered yet.

Duke TIP or No Duke TIP, that is the question. Someone TIP me in the right direction!

Ack. :confused:

You can use the ACT/SAT as your yearly progress report rather than having a portfolio review. I'm having the kids take a standardized test each year in place of the portfolio review from 7th+. I didn't consider it looming last year as I knew she would score well enough not to be concerned - so we didn't study at all.

My dd qualified for the Duke TIP, but my dh and I looked over the options and didn't see anything we wanted her to participate in (that was affordable) and decided it wasn't worth the money to sign her up. I believe it costs $70 or $75 to join the program.

Dd took the ACT without writing.

Edited by Melissa B

I am pretty sure that if you re taking the SAT as a middle schooler for something like Duke TIP, you do not need to do the writing section.

:iagree:I am not familiar with Duke's TIP, but CTY does not look at the writing score.

My kids take the SAT in middle school. We do absolutely no prepping, and there is no stress. I view it as good practice taking a standardized test and getting familiar with the format of the SAT.

My dd did Duke TIP last year and it was a great thing for us. I had no intentions of ever doing anything they offered, and we haven't.

She took the ACT because: 1) I didn't want her to do the writing portion as there was no reason whatsoever to do it 2) We got registered at the last minute and I needed her to take the test on the date as far out as possible 3) I had taken the ACT myself, so that is the test I am a bit familiar with.

My dd has been home schooled her whole life and I've never done any standardized testing. The only thing she did was read about taking the test and then we talked about how to eliminate answers (to answer every single question), and how to fill in the circles & erase properly. Then, I sat her down and did 1 timed test (not all in one sitting) -- I made sure she practiced NOT looking around the room and to put her head on her desk if she finished a portion early.

She did great test day. The school we went to for the test did take all the talent search kids into their own room, so that was good. It ended up being a great experience and really helped me in our high school planning for her.