Menu

help me get back on track

lorrainejmc

I've lost my way this year. I have very little motivation most days. Last year was fine but this year my boys (8 and almost 6) spend all their free time chasing each other around the house and play fighting. They do their work reluctantly. It feels like a thankless task and now I am struggling with the house and even getting out of bed is an effort, yet I am not physically tired IYKWIM? I have an almost 10yr old dd and she works fine most of the time. I've dropped some things simply because I felt bored (I started a thread about that a few weeks back). I need to grab back control but my brain aches. We had a few weeks with medical appointments for my 8yr old ds and that knocked me about too.

Help me start next week afresh.:001_smile:

I felt like that the last 2 weeks. I felt like I was in a fog and was just haphazardly sending them to and fro. I'm a big believer in prayer - praying to ask God to provide you what you need to teach them. Have faith that it is he would be happy to help you with. Ask others to pray for you.

Do things for yourself when you can. I went for a nice long bike ride and our family went out and enjoyed gorgeous weather. Those things are super helpful for me to break out of the spell I was in.

Wake up and think "I sure am lucky to be able to put my family first every day!"

Oh - the other thing we've done this week which I would consider successful - we rode our bikes on errands around town mid-morning :) The kids promised to do the rest of their work. Meanwhile, we got some exercise, some tasks completed, and enjoyed each others' company while we looked at our changing world (we've just past peak color season in Wisconsin)

Yeah, my first thought was do something physical with the kids. Go for a hike, ride bikes, etc. If you have two boys, they probably really need that. I often have to really commit myself to do physical play things with my boys because it's not my style at all, but they really crave it. They're 7 yo, but they still just want to play wrestling and be tickled and pretend I'm a monster after them like they did when they were 3.

I started our year off somewhat like this. A homeschooling friend of mine told me I was taking too much responsibility onto myself when teaching; some of the material is their responsibility to learn. So, I came up with a handy dandy independent list of items they are to take care of. By themselves. It's somewhat freeing, mentally and timewise. My list includes the following:

Chores

Copywork

Math drill via Quarter Mile Math cd

Supplemental math concepts via Professor B online

CC Timeline review and drill

CC Tracing maps

Listening to the CC Cycle 3 cd to review grammar

Memorizing IEW charts

30 minutes of independent reading

I still teach math, science, writing, history, violin, and language arts. Trying to squeeze in art, too. I was tempted by Teaching Textbooks for math, but I want to stay with Singapore. DS will be getting art lessons on dvd for Christmas.

Maybe something like this would help.

:iagree: Some physical activity before school and/or during lunch break. When my boys get into a play fighting mood, I have to limit it and I do tell them to stop and no more for the day. If they can't they have to do it outside during their free time. Also, maybe just a break from school for a week would help. When I am at the end of my rope, we take a small break and that is very helpful. Just doing the basics and getting out for field trips could be a mini break too.

:grouphug:

From other posts, I know you lean unschooly. Maybe these kinds of suggestions won't be a good fit...but maybe they'll help you get out of a rut.

Make lists of the things that are highest priority to accomplish. Try to think beyond next week. Where do you want to be in June? What do you need to do to get there? Then break it down into small pieces that you can tackle on a daily or weekly (or whatever) basis. I find daily lists to be invaluable. I spend time on Saturdays working on the coming week's activities. Also, it's important for me to spend a little time in the evenings planning ahead for the coming days. If materials aren't gathered ahead of time, stuff won't happen.

If you find it helpful, plan for certain things to happen certain days, ie. Wednesday afternoons it's time to go to the library, Farmer's Market on Thursday afternoons, etc. This can give a comfortable shape to your week.

Along with time for physical activity, can you build in one or two short periods of time (~15 minutes) for a read-aloud? I read a chapter of one book after breakfast, and a chapter of another book after lunch. I never felt my kids needed a strong routine to their days, but they really seem to enjoy knowing exactly when we're going to cuddle on the couch and read for a little bit.

Also, you sound depressed. Is it just a response to this situation (being frustrated/disappointed with homeschooling)? Or is it something bigger? If it could be something bigger, what are you going to do to address it? Physical activity with your kids will lift your spirits, but you may need to put more thought into getting your own needs met.

Hang in there! You'll find your way.

Hi everyone.:)

Well, these are the issues that have lead me the edge of sanity this last few weeks::tongue_smilie:

It has barely stopped raining for weeks, we had the coldest summer here for 20+ years and are apparently to have another SHOCKING winter.

I haven't connected with any other homeschooling families IRL since spring (until today when we went to a homeschool group).

I am disappointed with much of our curricula.

We are a very active family usually, but the weather has been holding us back, but yes, the boys especially need to let off steam.

I know what I need to do but for some reason I am unable to articulate it today,:001_huh: but you've all been very helpful so thank you.:D

Hi everyone.:)

Well, these are the issues that have lead me the edge of sanity this last few weeks::tongue_smilie:

It has barely stopped raining for weeks, we had the coldest summer here for 20+ years and are apparently to have another SHOCKING winter.

I completely hear you on the rain! Do you have indoor facilities near you? Those are the only things that save me during the rainy season. I'm thinking indoor bouncy houses, bowling, mini-parks, tennis courts, tae-kwon do studios? Even a McDonalds Playland will do in a pinch. We also have a mini-trampoline in our living room for really bad rainy weeks and buckets of rainy day toys that can only be pulled out when it is raining so they are "fresh". In these rainy areas I think the only thing to do is find the indoor exercise opportunities.

Can I trade? I'll send you our 113 degree day from August. We got rain for the first time in three weeks here yesterday and we had a hard time doing school because we were out dancing in it between thunderclaps.

On a more serious note, everything you are saying in your posts seems to indicate a depression, likely related to the lack of sunshine. If this has persisted for more than a few weeks, I would go see a doctor about it, and I'd go invest in some sun lamps.

It feels like a thankless task and now I am struggling with the house and even getting out of bed is an effort, yet I am not physically tired IYKWIM?

This is what made me think about actual depression, not just feeling blue. Just because you are normally upbeat does not mean that you could not be depressed. A lack of sunshine does things to the brain that are not just emotional.

We had a (wonderful) house guest for a month, and then the day after he left I had knee surgery. Talk about messing up our schedule :)

I was pretty down thinking about it on Monday, but I decided to just jump in, not worry about all the grading I hadn't done yet, and move forward. Yes - I will need to eventually fix my records and such- but it all felt so overwhelming. I figure once football and soccer season is over, I can catch up on recoed keeping :)

So - take apart what you feel is getting lost - and just walk away from anything you can until you feel better. Sadly - it will be there waiting for you ;)