Menu

Remembering what you just read - help!

I need some advice on how to help my dd (8.5yo). If I read to her from SOTW or she reads the passage in WWE, she always has trouble answering many of the questions. This has not been much of a problem in the past. Now I have to have her re-read nearly every time so that she can answer the questions. She is a strong reader, so the problems in WWE have me especially baffled. I'm thinking maybe she's having trouble focusing, or maybe she doesn't know how to read/listen for important details. She's a bright girl and I know this is not too hard for her. Any thoughts or ideas for how to help her would be much appreciated!

How long of a passage do you read to her before asking questions? I ask this, becasue we use SOTW audio, and I was having the kids listen to the whole section before asking questions, and they usually couldn't answer them...so I started shortening the length of passage before asking questions and now they can answer much easier and their confidence level has greatly improved. (my kids are 11, 9 and 7).

How long of a passage do you read to her before asking questions? I ask this, becasue we use SOTW audio, and I was having the kids listen to the whole section before asking questions, and they usually couldn't answer them...so I started shortening the length of passage before asking questions and now they can answer much easier and their confidence level has greatly improved. (my kids are 11, 9 and 7).

I usually read 1 section. I usually do the questions from the activity guide after, but not the narration (we do those in WWE).