Menu

Quick! Experienced Calvert users?

suzziesnowflake

HI! My son tested into 4th grade Calvert Classic but he is supposed to be in 5th grade (I pulled him from ps at the end of 4th). I ordered the 5th grade anyway. However, I am rethinking this. Is there a huge jump between 4th and 5th grade? He is extreamly bright but he failed the composition and language part. He passed the reading with getting 7 out of 10 right. I want to return him to ps in the future but I am not sure a repeat of 4th grade will do him any good. Oh, is Calvert considered ahead?

IMO, Calvert is advanced. I remember using their 4th grade with my (then) 6th grader because she was behind in grammar and writing skills. It was fabulous. That was a *long* time ago, but I can still remember the phone conversation I had when she tested into their 4th grade. The counselor assured me that 'the program would not talk down to my dd'. She was right, it was plenty rigorous. They provide their testing to insure a child's proper placement, because they really want them to succeed. If I were you, I would call them today and discuss it. They may allow you to return the 5th grade for the 4th.

Edited by Blueridge

Calvert is ahead. I can honestly say that they do quite a bit especially in the literature and la department.

I will say I love their literature selections.

My oldest was far ahead in that department when she attended school last year. She had already read the books and kids in 6th grade were just starting to read. She actually read most of what they had.

I can say Calvert's grammar is pretty weak. So I would supplement.

But the writing can be very challenging.

I wouldn't worry and freak out about grade level. Unless your state requires you to give your child a given grade. If you don't have to do that , then just tell him he's still a 5th grader and that he's just doing this level work.

As long as they are learning something new it doesn't matter what the grade level material is.

Calvert is ahead. Our 3rd grader has to make a big jump in all subjects. I pulled him out of ps this fall. From what I can see in math it's working up to a year ahead of texas standards. There is a lot of writing. Science is 5th grade science in Texas. I know because I taught 5th grade inTexas. We made the jump but has be tough.

Jenn

HI! My son tested into 4th grade Calvert Classic but he is supposed to be in 5th grade (I pulled him from ps at the end of 4th). I ordered the 5th grade anyway. However, I am rethinking this. Is there a huge jump between 4th and 5th grade? He is extreamly bright but he failed the composition and language part. He passed the reading with getting 7 out of 10 right. I want to return him to ps in the future but I am not sure a repeat of 4th grade will do him any good. Oh, is Calvert considered ahead?

Based on what you said I would keep the 5th grade material and then work with him in composition and language.

We are doing Calvert 6th grade right now and I would consider it very advanced in certain aspects. If you plan on using Calvert next year, then you might want to try the 4th grade this year. 6th grade is supposed to be written to the child and very independent, but unless you have a very driven 6th grader you will be right there beside them through the whole thing.

She tested into their 6th grade with some weak areas. If I did not know the grade level, I would guess it was around 8th grade expectations as far as taking notes and discussion questions. It is definitely challenging. There is definitely no way that I can just leave her to the instruction manual either.

If I were in your situation and planning to stick with Calvert after this year, then I would go with where he tested. 6th grade is definitely pretty intense and rigorous.