Menu

At what age did you start MCT??

katnorman

I plan to start at age 8, since that's what it is designed for ("gifted 3rd graders"). I'm sure my son could easily have done the grammar portion in first grade, but the writing portion really seems to ramp up quickly, so I'm waiting until we can do the whole package at the appropriate level. I think Sentence Island will be the right level for him next year in 3rd grade, and hopefully he'll be ready for Paragraph Town in 4th. I don't know if he'll be ready for Essay Voyage in 5th. We'll at least be using WWS by then anyway.

My oldest started "town" in 2nd semester of 2nd grade. It was overall the right level for her (grammar was too easy, vocab & poetry were just right, and the writing was a bit of a stretch but still do-able). I had her continue on with CE2, but am holding off on the rest of "voyage" until she's ready for EV. She's working through some other programs in the interim.

DS is doing Building Language now but I'm holding off on the rest of "island" for the moment.

When did you start MCT, did you do the whole program for each level and would you do it again?? :001_smile: I'm really looking at this program, but would like some feedback about it first!! Thanks!

I am :bigear: for any discussion about age and progression through the levels. I waited to start until this year, when DS8 was in third grade, as I also heard that the writing ramps up quickly. DS8 likes MCT well enough but DD loves it. She's a capable writer but if it gets as complex as I've heard in the next levels, I don't know how we will proceed. Slowly, I suppose. We certainly have no shortage of LA programs around here :tongue_smilie:, but I would love to keep going with MCT if it's possible.

We started Island this summer on my son's 7th birthday.

We have loved the program. My child has really responded to the approach and has learned a great deal.

I will agree with the impressions of those that decided to wait that the grammar portions were the most accessible part of the program, at least for my son at this age. The vocabulary portion has also been a good match. We also have enjoyed Sentence Island for planting seeds on how to think about writing.

But in terms of actual writing—an area where my son is not particularly advanced—the expectations are ahead of his development. So most of the writing elements we've pushed off, but have kept as topics for discussion.

The poetics book (which is great) is also relatively advanced (even for 3rd Graders I would suspect). This is one book we have still to finish up. Knowing we will follow up with similar books from MCT in future years I am fine to allow this pass to serve as "exposure" and I love it for that.

The grammar portion he has nailed!

Practice Island (where a child parses 100 sentences in the 4 level MCT style) has been an unexpected smash-hit. My son's level of competency with the grammar work has exceeded my highest expectations.

Since there were no other early grammar program that appealed to me (except Grammar-land, which we discover just before starting MCT) I was itching to start something. My son was pretty close to a "blank slate" in terms of grammar. I'm glad MCT was his first exposure. For him it was just the right approach to make this a fun subject, and he is not the type to thrive on repitition.

So are there some "imbalances" in using Island at 7? Yes, at least for us. But there is no question in my mind that I'd pursue the same course if I had a second chance.

We began the Island series 5 weeks ago. We are getting close to the end of Grammar Island, and have been reading BUilding Language at the same time. This is the first introduction we have had to grammar, and I am very glad I trusted my instincts and went with something that had lots of reading and no worksheets. He already loathes assigned reading, and writing is very slow for him. He has LOTS to say when I ask him questions about what we read, and we will start practicing the sentence diagramming soon.

I am kind of at a loss for what we do for writing and language arts in terms of covering everything. I guess I am picturing everyone here has children who spend hours writing books full of wonderful thoughts and stories and I wish mine did. But he is only 7 so I sense there is still hope LOL. He writes only a few sentences worth a day. It is better since ditching HWOT which was forcing his perfectionism out and slowing him down.

I though about getting WWE but that is reading a passage, dictation, and worksheets, correct? I just don't need one more "I will read this and then you answer questions," because he just LOATHES doing it. Yesterday I told him to write me 3 sentences about a noun, and start the second sentence with a pronoun. He totally got it so I know this is sinking in. It's hard for me to let go of the need for "proof on paper" for everything.

Well, I was so excited that I started the Island level early with my older 2 (4 & 6). The 6 year old really pays attention whereas the 4 year old gets distracted (but she still loves GI, SI, the poems in MotH, and can answer some of the parts of speech in PI). It's not our only LA program, however, we also do GWG and WWW. As for the suggested writing activities, we just do those orally. Oh, and yes, the poetry book is pretty darn advanced. They're retaining the easier stuff (e.g., alliteration, eye rhymes, ABAB, stuff like that) but not the harder stuff (e.g., all the different types of foots). I know they're young, but I figure I'll be cycling through it again with the youngest (and maybe even earlier, we'll see) so they'll be able to absorb it again.

I restrained myself:tongue_smilie: and waited until this year to start Island. (dd was almost 8 when we started) She didn't love Grammar Island but I think we moved a little too slow through it. Now that we have started Sentence Island she loves SI and "the Rome book" (Building Language). She groans when I say it is time to put it away and reads ahead in her free time.

The grammar portion is the easiest part of the program so I would wait until your dc is old enough to do the writing. My dd is advanced in language arts but I think waiting was the absolute right decision. You are missing some really good stuff if you skip the writing in SI. IMO, a child should be able to write a decent paragraph before starting SI to get the most out of it.

We started the MCT program when my daughter was almost 8.

We are doing level three (Voyage) this year.

The program has been on target for my daughter and I've never felt the need to slow down.

We did FLL 1 and 2 before MCT. We started FLL 3 at the same time as MCT, but quickly dropped FLL 3 because it wasn't a good fit. We only used WWE for a short while.

We have supplemented MCT with Grammar-Land, Grammar Mechanic, etc. We are currently using Rex Barks as a diagramming supplement.

Is the Building Language a complete vocabulary program?? Thanks!! I am getting really excited about this, even though we wouldn't start until next year (if I can wait :tongue_smilie:).

I would say Building Language is more of a gentle introduction and inspiring tribute to the history of vocabulary than a complete program. Caesar's English 1 is more of a complete program.

I was a little concerned with how easy Building Language was, but the pace has picked up in the levels that followed.

Is the Building Language a complete vocabulary program?? Thanks!! I am getting really excited about this, even though we wouldn't start until next year (if I can wait :tongue_smilie:).

Not complete. In this level MCT builds up the romance of Latin as a "world-bridge" to the past. The Roman arch (and aqueducts that rely on arches for their support) serve as a central metaphor for the book.

It begins to introduce Latin stems, and how they are incorporated in English (and Spanish) vocabulary in a way that is meant to inspire interest.

So the expectations are "reasonable" for an introductory book. I think it really scores on the "creating romance" front, which is important because if you can really get a child interested in a subject it creates enthusiasm. But this level is modest in the amount of stems and vocabulary covered.

I understand the next level, Caesar's English, is a big leap forward in terms of "meat" so I'm very happy to have had this work as a stepping stone to use with a younger child. As much as we enjoyed Building Language I think I would have found it a little "light" had we waited to use it until 3rd Grade.

Bill

I started my oldest at age 8. I don't know if it is my kid, but I didn't find all the elements to the Grammar Island level to be at the same level. The vocabulary portion was something my ds could have easily done years earlier. The other elements were just right or too difficult. He didn't get the hang of parsing and started to really dislike grammar when it was one of his favorite subjects previously. I loved the poetry book and will likely get another level down the line. I don't think it is something we need to study every year. I am using MCT vocabulary again this year, but at a more appropriate level.

I have the basic homeschool package. I would not have wanted more.

The Practice Island books require both a teachers and student edition (to a good end). As of the Second Edition of Grammar Island the "basic" package comes with both a student and teacher book. Frankly, except for a couple of spoiler pages, I found having two books annoying. I love the program. But two books as a waste, and it pulled me away from my child and our shared experience to juggle the second book. Not a good "improvement" in my mind.

Bill

I have the basic homeschool package. I would not have wanted more.

The Practice Island books require both a teachers and student edition (to a good end). As of the Second Edition of Grammar Island the "basic" package comes with both a student and teacher book. Frankly, except for a couple of spoiler pages, I found having two books annoying. I love the program. But two books as a waste, and it pulled me away from my child and our shared experience to juggle the second book. Not a good "improvement" in my mind.

Bill

I agree with this completely. When we sit down to do grammar, we use only the student book. I've read the notes and end pages in the Teacher's Manual but it is certainly not necessary.

Thank you so much for the replies!! This sounds really interesting. Has anyone used it with FLL/WWE or would that be overkill??

First of all, I have a one and only so take this with a grain of salt, but I tend to favor the side of what some may consider to be overkill. :D

My primary focus, at this stage in our journey, is providing a multi-sensory phonics/spelling based foundation (SWR), that includes grammar, mechanics, & usage (supplemented w/FLL & SE), and writing via narration and dictation (WWE). What I've just shared is the core of our language arts program, however, just before our school year began I decided to satisfy my MCT curiosity by adding Level 1 this year (ds7/2nd grade) as a complementary supplement, tying it all together whilst offering its own nuggets as well.

I feel I must confess that I'm actually impressed with and my little man is really enjoying Grammar Island thus far. I look forward to the rest of what MCT has to offer, but only as a supplement at this time. Right now, MCT is taking the place of the sentence parsing/classifying aspect that I liked about SE, even bumping it up a notch (or four), whilst leaving out the scripted instructions that I had to weed through and the writing portion that was unwanted/unneeded.

All that said... I honestly don't foresee switching to MCT as a stand-alone in the future, especially since it seems that not all of the elements to the Grammar Island level are at the same level of ability... and even more especially since I'm using it with a 7yo/2nd grader when it's intended for 3rd grader (although the GI portion has been mainly review for him). This makes me wonder if I'll end up stretching out the writing portion of MCT Level 1 or, rather, postponing it until next year, meanwhile adding in some Writing Tales 1, a new can of worms :D, alongside WWE? (Perhaps the other levels of MCT do not have a broad range of ability within each, since they are not necessarily introductory and, therefore, less... gentle?) I'll stop sharing my rambling thoughts now, but hopefully they come in useful to someone.

:001_smile:

I feel I must confess that I'm actually impressed with and my little man is really enjoying Grammar Island thus far. I look forward to the rest of what MCT has to offer, but only as a supplement at this time. Right now, MCT is taking the place of the sentence parsing/classifying aspect that I liked about SE, even bumping it up a notch (or four), whilst leaving out the scripted instructions that I had to weed through and the writing portion that was unwanted/unneeded.

All that said... I honestly don't foresee switching to MCT as a stand-alone in the future, especially since it seems that not all of the elements to the Grammar Island level are at the same level of ability... and even more especially since I'm using it with a 7yo/2nd grader when it's intended for 3rd grader (although the GI portion has been mainly review for him). This makes me wonder if I'll end up stretching out the writing portion of MCT Level 1 or, rather, postponing it until next year, meanwhile adding in some Writing Tales 1, a new can of worms :D, alongside WWE? (Perhaps the other levels of MCT do not have a broad range of ability within each, since they are not necessarily introductory and, therefore, less... gentle?) I'll stop sharing my rambling thoughts now, but hopefully they come in useful to someone.

:001_smile:

I will play Devil's Advocate for continuing with MCT.

One, the vocabulary look (Building Language) will be perfect for him now, in Second Grade.

Two. Sentence Island is a really nice companion to Grammar Island. Grammar concepts are reenforced, and it really completes the course.

Plus, while—if your son is like mine—some (or many) of the writing ideas may be ahead of "reality", the books still plant very important seeds about what makes good writing. The points MCT makes, including things alike promoting the use of strong well-chosen nouns and verbs (rather than fluffing up writing with modifying adverbs and adjectives) or paying attention to the sound that words make and the effect that has on a reader, are IMO spot-on, and not the sort of emphasis you will find in most writing programs for children.

I think they are really important things for children (and maybe especially boys) to hear. I would rather plant theses seeds now. I think it gives models and ideas to keep in mind and shoot to achieve.

I still have the writing assignments at hand. I have no problem holding out this one aspect to do later, when all the rest is so fruitful and on level. To me that is just cumostomizing the program to meet our needs. It he does some of the Island writing work next year (in Third Grade) so be it. What have we lost?

The Music of the Hemispheres (poetry) book is amazing. Some of the information on things like meter are pretty sophisticated. I expect return visits and "exposure" rather than "mastery" isn't this book, but it does a great job getting little kids to listen to language. The examples are so well-chosen, and the graphic way the points are made meld into a delightful thing to experience.

Again, I would rather get them when they are young. While they still think such things are magical and exciting. Better to inspire them when they are young, and the other MCT books are inspiring.

Consider it.

Bill

I think your son would really enjoy it.

Edited by Spy Car

We started in third with ds 8. He loved to read grammar island and building language. He could describe the function of each part of speech, and give examples, but couldn't consistently identify them in a sentence. The different kinds of adverbs and verbs would throw him off (like linking and helping verbs, or confusing adverbs and adjectives). This really surprised me, but we couldn't move on, so he began listening to Grammarland podcast, and we started growing with grammar as a supplement. I hope that we can move back to sentence island soon, but I think he needed to slow down a little. Maybe I didn't give grammar island enough time on it's own, but i wasnt sure we could make leap to diagramming without stepping back a little. Overall I love the program and think it's a beautiful to present and discuss language and writing. I plan to keep using all parts.