Menu

Do your kids believe in Santa?

I got thinking about this today- my kids are almost 7yo and apparently they still believe. We never started out pushing the whole Santa thing, but they certainly picked up on and ran with it. They love the whole thing- the stories, the pictures, etc. (and of course the presents!)

I know not everyone does Santa, but wondering who else has kids (especially first grade and up) that believe. If they don't believe, did they used to and how did they find out?

Thanks.

When my son was 5 he had a temper tantrum about the presents I had purchased to give to the local family shelter. I was stressed and annoyed at his selfishness and I told he should be ashamed because each child was only getting one present and it was the only present they would get. ds responded with saying "but what about Santa". I could see things were turning over in his help. I don't remember my exact response at that time. However, my general response to questions about Santa is to say something like "does it make sense that Santa brings really expensive stuff to some kids, who might already have a lot of expensive stuff and to bring cheaper stuff to nice kids who don't have a lot of stuff."

I think my dd figured it out around age 6. I will never know if youngest ever believed or still believes--he has a disability and limited speech.

At this point, none of them do. I never pushed Santa, but I didn't disavow Santa, either, and DS7 believed in him for a while. Then this year at Easter he asked me for the "real real" truth about the Easter Bunny, so I told him, and then the whole line of dominoes fell, including Santa. ;)

The two littles are too young to believe either way. Honestly, I'd prefer to just not do Santa with them at all, but I don't think DS7 or DH would go for that.

I'm pretty sure my mom thought I still believed in Santa well into college. :lol: I figured it out when I was four or five, but I didn't have the heart to tell her because it looked like she was having so much fun. So, I faked it for yeeeeeeears. Really though, I'm pretty sure she thought I still believed until I was 10 or 11. She still insists there was no way I knew. I'm a good actress.

Yes. Indy loves and still believes in Santa. He's 9 and I'm sure this is probably his last year. He's been planning his letter to Santa for about 2 months. He only gets 3 gifts from Santa and thinks very carefully about what he asks for. I'm hoping he doesn't find out before Christmas gets here because I want him to have one more year.

I always like what my friend Jo says: "Of course I believe in Santa Claus - I AM one!"

:001_smile:

When my son found out that we were Santa, he had such a sweet response. I thought he'd be disappointed and maybe a bit angry that we had "lied," but instead he said, "You guys are so NICE to get me all those presents!"

They know the legends of both Santa and Saint Nicholas. They do not believe in Santa, receive no gifts from "Santa", but do enjoy the seasonal cartoons. They do believe in Saint Nicholas.

This is how we do it in my house also. They know the story of Santa and how he was based on St. Nicholas. Most of what we do is focused on St. Nicholas and we do stockings on his feast day. Santa doesn't bring us any presents on Christmas - those all come from family.

No. We did not celebrate this aspect of Christmas. My children were warned that they were not supposed to ruin it for others, such as informing other children that Santa is not real, but if asked, "What did Santa bring to your house?" or some such sentiment, to respond, "We do not celebrate Santa at our home."

Faith

No, they have never believed in Santa. But they know about St. Nicholas (the legend). We told them it is a fun thing grown-ups like to pretend with young children. I guess it just didn't fit into how dh and I celebrate Christmas.

Usually, kids who believe in Santa figure it out for themselves. They might even pretend to believe so as not to disapoint parents!

My kids don't. It isn't something we ever 'did'. Gramma and Grampa did it, and two years ago when my eldest 5 he believed.

Grampa dressed up as Santa and showed up to give out presents. The next year Grampa showed up the same way but for my nephew it didn't work. (He was 7 at the time) He got upset because Santa showed up last year, and this year it was just Grampa.

My kids have always known the "real" story -- but sometimes they "choose" to believe (pretend) and that's fine. I think many kids -- whether they've been raised to believe or not -- choose to play along with the game even when they know the truth. It's fun. :) And sometimes they play along for parents' benefit...

Mine believe -sort of. They know I buy all their presents but they think Santa comes and collects them and keeps them till Christmas and will only bring them back if they are good :D

When they see the Santa's at the store my DD asks if they are pretend Santas and I say yes they are - so she knows they aren't real. However, she does still think there is a real Santa somewhere :tongue_smilie:

I have never pushed the issue to encourage them to believe but I have never said there wasn't a Santa either. So they believe in a low-key fashion :lol:

I don't know for sure if dd9 still believes in Santa. She'll ask me if he's really real and I just ask her "What do you think?" and leave it at that. If she knows he isn't real, she still chooses to believe though. :)

Ds7 still believes and hasn't asked any questions. My other two are two young to even really know about Santa.

When my son found out that we were Santa, he had such a sweet response. I thought he'd be disappointed and maybe a bit angry that we had "lied," but instead he said, "You guys are so NICE to get me all those presents!"

My oldest had a similar reaction, and it was priceless. Well, it started with the Easter Bunny and one thing led to the other, ya know. When we finally got to Santa, he looked at me with a big grin of disbelief, and said, "You mean you and dad got me all of those presents?!!" LOL, he probably thought mom and dad gave all of the boring or educational gifts..."Santa" would bring all of the stuff that mom and dad would never buy! I'm hoping he can keep the secret from my youngest for a while, but I have a feeling the word is out...

Nope.

My ten-year-old spilled the beans about the Tooth Fairy to his 6 y.o. brother, who told the middle brother. The two youngest figured it out from there and announced that if the Tooth Fairy was Mom, the Santa must be Dad. No one was unduly upset, and they still want to get gifts from Santa on Christmas morning. :)

My ten y.o. already knew but promised he didn't say anything about Santa, just the Tooth Fairy. He'd asked three Christmases in a row, "Is Santa real?" I just asked "What do you think?" Two years he said, "I think he's real," the third he said, "I think it's you." He was disappointed, but it didn't take away much of the magic for him.

My dd with autism believed until she was 14, despite me telling her point-blank for three years in a row. "Don't dis Santa!" she said, and walked away. :lol:

In our house, every child who knows gets to help fill stockings, so they go from believing in Santa to playing Santa. It's a fun transition tradition. I think when they get older instead of drawing names for gifts, we'll draw names for stockings.

Cat

No. My dds banded together two years ago, at 7 & 9, and we told them the truth. They laughed and felt very big that they had figured it out. They still get their stocking and a Santa gift though. I received the same until I moved out (I was 19) and looked forward to them every year.

Of course not :D. We don't have Santa in the Netherlands, we do have Sinterklaas. My kids believe in Sinterklaas and think it is very silly of American children to believe in something so obviously untrue as Santa :lol:. I find this so funny, how can they not see the disconnect here :lol:.

At the beginning of this year, then-9yo dd discovered that the Tooth Fairy wasn't real (because she asked the TF to bring her wings so she could fly; she'd also left a note to the leprechauns to keep their gold and just introduce themselves to her so she'd know they were real). She wasn't angry that she'd been lied to - she could appreciate the fun parts of it, but she was crushed that the magical world she so wanted to believe in, wasn't real after all. Her best friend, who was 10yo at the time, wrote her a lovely story about a mythical wolf (dd's favorite animal) who teaches a girl to believe in magic:

{excerpt}

While they were flying, the wolf said, "Believe!"

"Believe in what?" said the girl.

"Believe in magic," said the wolf. "Believe in fairies. Believe in magic and God."

The girl said, "Okay. I think I will."

The wolf said, "I believe in you, girl." And they went home.

{end excerpt}

12yo ds knows "the truth" because I told him before he went to summer camp two years ago (I was afraid he'd be teased if he admitted that he still believed..which, at age 10, he did!). Now, he enjoys being one of Santa's helpers...so the magic is still real for him, but in a different way; he definitely plays up Santa, the EB, etc., for my 7yo, who still believes. And 10yo dd seems to be heading in that direction - she is looking forward to 'helping' Santa this year, too, and I'm thankful that she has found her way to believe that the magic is still there somehow...it's not how they think of it when they're little, but it's there just the same.

When ds's friend was around 9 or so, he figured out the Santa thing; his mom confirmed it and said that he seemed to handle it as if it were no big deal. Later that week, though, she mentioned to him that she had to go shopping for the Easter baskets, and he looked at her, shocked, "What? The Easter Bunny, too?" :lol:

Edited by WorkInProgress

Can't wait to read the replies. DH & I were just talking about this last night. We have a 10yo that still believes and is going to be devastated when we tell her (and we plan to soon, because she defends this belief to all of her friends and we don't want her to be embarrassed later on). Oh how I wish this wasn't an issue...

OK - now have read through the replies. I am so happy that those of you with children who once believed and now know didn't have any meltdowns. I firmly believe that this is going to devastate DD#1 - and in turn DD#2. Both girls, especially #1 - have such incredible trust in DH & me. They are both very "big" on not lying and always telling the truth. And they know enough to know that you can lie by omission as well as commission. So my huge fear is that - although I have never come right out and said that Santa / Elf on the Shelf / Tooth Fairy / etc, are not real - I have let them believe it and defend it to their friends for years and years.

Please tell me they will not forever be scarred...

Edited by knit247

Well they pretend to do and actually understand why we ask them to believe in Santa. One day my 7 year old daughter came to me and told me that since Daddy had fallen asleep, so she put some candies and sweets in our socks. She didn’t want the Christmas spirit to go away; according to her Santa is the Christmas spirit. I couldn’t imagine what I was listening.

Well, my mother has never admitted that Santa isn't real, so I guess I still believe in him! :D

Both my kids, 7 and 8.5 still believe in Santa, and are eagerly looking forward to Christmas, even though I've told them that Santa's finances have been affected by the economy, and he might not be able to bring as many presents this year. I love the wonder on their faces when they see the presents under the tree. Don't want to give that up until I have to.

Mine was about 8-1/2 when he figured it out. He started with the Easter Bunny, and by the end of the day had worked his way to Santa and the Tooth Fairy.

I was pleasantly surprised at ds' reaction when he found out. "You mean all those presents came from you guys?" Yes. "Wow! Thank you!"