Menu

How many here have homeschooled at least one child all the way through--grades 1-12?

I ask simply because I'm curious. And the reason I specified grades 1-12 instead of K-12 is because in most states (including mine), kindergarten is not mandatory.

As for me, this is my 16th year of homeschooling. I homeschooled my oldest all the way through (he's now a college senior); my second child has been homeschooled all the way through so far (she's now in 11th grade) and I expect her to graduate from our homeschool in 2013.

My 2 oldest have graduated from homeschool. My second son never attended public school at all. My oldest went to two weeks of public school in 8th grade. (He had been wasting time at home and getting very little of his assigned work done. However, public school turned out to be an even bigger time waster, with work at the level he had done in 2nd-4th grade at home. Our local public schools are a joke at the middle school level.)

My 2 youngest are in 4th and 6th grades, and have never been to school.

Yep. None of our children have ever been to public school. Graduated the eldest two and have a 12th, 10th, 7th, 6th, and 4th grader plus a Kindy this year.

Although they do all do community college classes in 11th and 12th grade as well as home school classes - so maybe that's not what you mean by homeschooling all the way through. You could be meaning no outside classes whatsoever.

I probably won't. My older two went to school for 3rd and 4th -- second will likely go back for 9th-12th. My third COULD homeschool all the way through, but is interested in a local charter school. He might not like it, though -- he's my most likely K-12 homeschool candidate. Youngest may go to school as early as next year, and I'm not sure if she'll ever come back home or not. She wouldn't do well once the others are gone, and our financial plan has me working when she's high school aged, so she'll likely go out to high school.

You've done a GREAT job and you seem to get better at this all the time! :hurray:

I will add that DD18 brought 71 credit-hours into college with her all counting toward her degree, so you *really* did K-12 + 2 with her! Still, it seems that she likes college so much that she wants to spend four years there and learn all she can. :001_smile:

:001_wub:Thanks, dear!

Yes! Pre~K through graduation. Our oldest is nineteen, has been working as a Licensed Practical Nurse for a year, and is taking her prerequisites for a transition to an RN program. She also got married this summer~ it has been quite a time of change for all of us. I have two more children coming down the runway, and am really in no rush to be finished. I feel incredibly grateful to be home with them. :)

• 2 months later...

I graduated my oldest son last May. He just finished his 1st semenster of college with a 4.0 GPA. My daughter will graduate this coming May, and my youngest is a sophmore. I have been homeschooling for 16 1/2 years. None of my kids have been to a brick and mortar school, and the only outside classes they have taken is Cathechism. I do have to say that I am jealous of all of you that live in states that pay for dual enrollment for homeschoolers. If that option were available in Louisiana we would have gone that route.

*waving hand* Me. I've graduated two so far and my youngest is in 5th grade now. Mine started homeschooling way back in their pre-school days and have never set foot inside a brick and mortar school. Well, expect for the universities they are now both attending. :D

Ok, I didn't realize this was an old thread. So I guess you get to hear me chime in twice. LMHO

I did 2-12 with my oldest, K-12 with my middle, and still K to now (9th grade right now) with my youngest. I am on my 17th year of homeschooling and when I retire, I will have done 20 years of homeschooling. I will be retiring like many teachers in regular schools and definitely like many police, fire, and military retire. Looking forward to retirement now though I have already started transitioning slowly to my second career which will be professional volunteer (by that I mean my idea is I will be doing lots of volunteering in many places and it will be like a job for me).

My son is in Community College and has never been to ps. He has a diploma from NARHS that he earned last year, and even though he wrestles with the high school wrestling team I consider him to be a high school graduate. He is only 16 though. I read TWTM when he was finishing first grade and switched from Sonlight to Jessie and Susan's suggestions and he followed them rigorously for the next five years. Then we relaxed a little, and I had him work on high school stuff for high school credit.

Me!!

My oldest daughter (now a college student) was homeschooled all the way through (she did start taking dual enrollment classes at the community college at 16 though).

My oldest son graduates in May and he hasn't taken any outside classes (other than homeschool co-op) and he's never been to public school.

Have 2 more to go!