Menu

How many here have homeschooled at least one child all the way through--grades 1-12?

I ask simply because I'm curious. And the reason I specified grades 1-12 instead of K-12 is because in most states (including mine), kindergarten is not mandatory.

As for me, this is my 16th year of homeschooling. I homeschooled my oldest all the way through (he's now a college senior); my second child has been homeschooled all the way through so far (she's now in 11th grade) and I expect her to graduate from our homeschool in 2013.

Edited by ereks mom

I have. My oldest is 22, and I homeschooled her from the beginning. She has been working as a nanny since graduating, but she's headed to college this winter.

My kids are 12 years apart, so I basically have serial only children when it comes to teaching. DS is only in 4th grade, so I'm just getting started with him. :001_smile:

My 19 year ony went to 7th grade for PS, the 18 year old was home K thru graduation. The 15 year old has been in PS since the 6th grade and the youngest since the 5th grade. So I consider the oldest two homeschool graduates. They are both in college now.

Edited by KidsHappen

I've hsed 5 from the required age (here it is 6) through grade 12. Two are out of college and working, three are in college and two left at home. I wouldn't trade those years for anything, although it was daunting when they were all little. They are happy, pro-active, generous adults who have had great academic success :tongue_smilie: despite my blunders and as we all know, there have no problem making and keeping friends. When we started hsing, Rainbow Resource catalog was just a few pages listing used books! We kept the kids inside during the day and sometimes even closed the blinds.

Edited by love2read

I have home schooled for fourteen years and I have homeschooled my son all the way through. He is in cc right now because that is all we can afford, but he probably could have been admitted to almost any school except Ivy League, or Stanford. He is doing well in CC so I guess I didn't mess him up too badly, lol.

My youngest is 11 and she wants to go to school so badly she will probably wear me down. I won't send her to junior high, but I will try to afford private high school.

I've hsed 5 from the required age (here it is 6) through grade 12. Two are out of college and working, three are in college and two left at home. I wouldn't trade those years for anything, although it was daunting when they were all little. They are happy, pro-active, generous adults who have had great academic success :tongue_smilie: despite my blunders and as we all know, there have no problem making and keeping friends. When we started hsing, Rainbow Resource catalog was just a few pages listing used books! We kept the kids inside during the day and sometimes even closed the blinds.

I think you're one of my heroes!

I did 2-12 with my oldest. Close but no cigar, huh? :D

Me too.:) My oldest went to K and 1st at a private school and then went 2nd through 12th at home. He's a college freshman right now.

My second is in 10th right now and has been hs'ed since the beginning.

And, now, I'm starting all over with a 1st grader.:D

through high school. Well, actually, the oldest two took a couple classes each at a public high school for one year before we moved to a state with better homeschool support for my other kids. They've all gone to college. The oldest dropped out to become a lineman so that he can support a totally homeschooled wife who is now homeschooling the oldest of their three kids with one more baby on the way. The other four are still in college working on grad or undergrad degrees. I have one left at home who is in fifth grade so I guess I'll be homeschooling for quite a while longer:) It's been fascinating to see all the new homeschool materials come out the last few years.

Edited by Merry
grammar

I have homeschooled one all the way thru. She graduated in June 2010.

#2 daughter was homeschooled birth thru grade 10 and is in her second year (and senior year) of a private Christian high school. She went to private school thru a combination of a (true) co op oppty falling thru, being in advanced classes beyond my expertise nor interest in learning/teaching, unique oppty and because I felt stretched beyond what I could bear with my eldest and three littles and her academic needs were not being well met at home.

Next three are 14yo, 11yo & 8yo and Lord willing, we'll be hsing all the way thru high school.

Lisaj, hsing my 15th year and tired :) but hoping to be re-energized

We've homeschooled our kids from the start - just graduated our first this past May, she's thriving at a private univ., living at home, in the honors program. We're also the rare breed that did no co-op academics with our oldest. (That said, our son is doing a TOG online class this year and LOVES it!)

I thought it would get easier- and in some ways, it is - but in others it's just more. . .complicated. They are all getting older, and I'm not getting any more energy!

These are sweet days, and someday I will miss them. . . . .

I homeschooled my dc until they started taking classes at the community college when they were 14yo. Does that count? :)

I checked out your blog and subscribed. It's really good stuff. :001_smile: Now I'm heading off to check out all the other experienced homeschoolers blogs from this thread.

How did the community college at 14 work out? My son is 16 and I'm thinking about starting dual enrollment next year.

Our oldest two were homeschooled K-12 and are now in college. Lord willing, we will be able to finish homeschooling our youngers all the way through. They are in 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th.

I remember the old Rainbow Resource catalog as well. It was a grand day when they began offering new books along with the used curriculum!

GardenMom

I ask simply because I'm curious. And the reason I specified grades 1-12 instead of K-12 is because in most states (including mine), kindergarten is not mandatory.

As for me, this is my 16th year of homeschooling. I homeschooled my oldest all the way through (he's now a college senior); my second child has been homeschooled all the way through so far (she's now in 11th grade) and I expect her to graduate from our homeschool in 2013.

My first I home schooled from 4 th - 12 th

My second from 1st - 12th...she went to 1st fit 5 months.

The 3rd we home schooled all the way from 1-12

My 4 th is now in grade 12 ho eschooled from the start.

We have 3 more to go......

Faithe

Our oldest two were homeschooled K-12 and are now in college. Lord willing, we will be able to finish homeschooling our youngers all the way through. They are in 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th.

I remember the old Rainbow Resource catalog as well. It was a grand day when they began offering new books along with the used curriculum!

GardenMom

You've done a GREAT job and you seem to get better at this all the time! :hurray:

I will add that DD18 brought 71 credit-hours into college with her all counting toward her degree, so you *really* did K-12 + 2 with her! Still, it seems that she likes college so much that she wants to spend four years there and learn all she can. :001_smile: