Menu

Are any of you using Elemental History?

parias1126

i'm using it with my 7 1/2 year old. we add in the extra readers suggested too. i started the year with the intent of combining both kids in HOD bigger hearts. it just wasn't meshing with my son unfortunately, so i switched him to adventures in america (elemental history). i chose it mainly because i wanted american history, needed something laid out, and didn't want to spend a lot of money (as i had already purchased HOD). wow! what a wonderful surprise it has been! we are in week 5 starting tomorrow and LOVE it. so far, we do all of the activities as written (all have been great so far...especially the wampum beads and constellation activity). we follow the book verbatim & i haven't tweaked a thing, which is great and so unlike me. i do recommend the extra readers. it adds a lot. i don't have pix on my blog. i'll try to take a few tonight and post them tomorrow :) hth.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

i'm using it with my 7 1/2 year old. we add in the extra readers suggested too. i started the year with the intent of combining both kids in HOD bigger hearts. it just wasn't meshing with my son unfortunately, so i switched him to adventures in america (elemental history). i chose it mainly because i wanted american history, needed something laid out, and didn't want to spend a lot of money (as i had already purchased HOD). wow! what a wonderful surprise it has been! we are in week 5 starting tomorrow and LOVE it. so far, we do all of the activities as written (all have been great so far...especially the wampum beads and constellation activity). we follow the book verbatim & i haven't tweaked a thing, which is great and so unlike me. i do recommend the extra readers. it adds a lot. i don't have pix on my blog. i'll try to take a few tonight and post them tomorrow :) hth.

Thank you so much for responding! I would love to see pictures of what you have done. Have the supplies been hard to find or things you generally have on hand? This is my biggest concern since I won't run out to get a ton of stuff if I don't have it.

so far it is stuff we have already. the wampum beads require air dry clay and paint (but the author gives a recipe with flour to make your own as well). we made a telescope with a paper towel holder. the constellation was so simple and my kids loved it. basically, they drew a picture with a white crayon on a black piece of paper...then they punched holes along the crayon line with a small nail (or toothpick, or tack, etc). we went in the bathroom with a flashlight and looked at the "constellation" on the wall. it was so cool. that went along with amerigo vespucci, as he enjoyed studying the stars as a child. i'd be happy to look through at the upcoming activities to see if weird supplies stand out....but so far, it has been items we already keep in the home:) granted, we aren't far into it though - so that could change. i imagine it won't though.

at a quick glance, this looks like the supply list in the order you'll need things. i'm pretty sure this isn't a copywright issue by listing them, as i'm not listing what the supplies are for. i hope it helps :)

paper towel roll

scissors

construction paper

colored cellophane (optional)

air dry clay

glue

3 large brown paper bag (used at different times)

markers

paint

flashlight

tack, nail, or toothpick

colored cardstock

craft feathers

tape

egg carton

popcorn

1/2 cup distilled vinegar

salt

sugar

cucumber

onion

dried beans

toy animals (plastic or stuffed)

small stones or bits of torn tissue

heavy whipping cream

clean jar with lid

marbles

paper plate

newspaper

aluminum foil pie plate

ribbon

marker (or calligraphy pen)

3 cups of any kind of berries

100% cotton tee (or white socks)

empty coffe can or oatmeal container

white or tan felt

wooden chopsticks

yarn

hole punch

small paper lunch bag (white if possible)

any size wooden spoon

ruler

2 toilet paper rolls

pint size milk carton

vegetable oil

google eyes

metallic gold paint (used again in another project later)

pie pan

cornmeal

butter

whole milk

food coloring

soap flakes

piece of string

small hammer with wooden handle (can be from dollar store)

one apple

red tempura paint

Edited by mytwomonkeys

We follow it very loosely. I mean to blog about it but wonder if I'm qualified, as we haven't done their projects yet. We also swap some of the literature books suggested for ones we prefer. We add a lot to it actually, with our own book, video, projects. One thing I'm super happy about is that it made starting American History study effortless. Then we can add/change it as we wish.

I am using Elemental History with my dd5, and we are really enjoying it. We are starting Week 12 tomorrow, and so far so good! We haven't done all of the projects, but the weeks we have done them they have been simple and fun. My dd loves maps, so learning about 1 or 2 states each week has also been a plus. I have been meaning to blog about this program for awhile, but I am seriously bad at updating my blog. Maybe this will inspire me!