Menu

Wondering if I "need" to use AoPS...

Donna

I am trying to work this out in my own mind but could use some input to see if I am thinking everything through and considering all the possibilities.

My dd9 has worked her way through Saxon up to 76 last year. She is currently doing Thinkwell PreAlgebra. She likes doing the program on the computer, listens to the lessons, does the problems and takes the tests.

She is accelerated in math but isn't particularly "math-y." She doesn't particularly enjoy doing math. She seems to lean more toward the arts. Music is her first love and she enjoys writing and is currently writing a "novel." She spends all her free time writing, practicing music, or doing crafts. She doesn't "crave" challenge in math is what I am trying to say.

I have AoPS Pre-Algebra and was planning for her to do it after Thinkwell. I did the first two chapters with her when the book arrived and she did not like it which is why we went back to Thinkwell.

I learned math in PS...just plain old math. I did well and understand the math I needed to learn up through Calculus in college. I scored well on the math section of the SAT without doing anything "extra" math-wise. I took my required course in college to get my BS in biology and can teach my kids their math...I even re-teach my PS highschooler math because the teacher isn't very good at explanations for him.

I am just wondering if dd "needs" a program like AoPS. She would be happier just learning math a more traditional way (with the Jacobs or Saxon Algebra curriculum we also own). I like the way AoPS makes one "think" about math and if she had any interest in math as a course of study or interest in math competitions or something, it would be my first choice.

I am torn because I don't want to limit her in anything but if I really think about it, I know that she is doing math she wouldn't be doing anyway at her age if she were in school. Any ideas?

If you tried it and she didn't like it, and you say she doesn't really love math and has love elsewhere, I say stick with what's working. She's progressing very well in the subject she doesn't love, so you have more time for her to spend on the subject she does love.

:iagree:

The band on that particular bandwagon may sound really pretty... but if your daughter doesn't care for it and is learning well with something else, don't change! She's awfully young. She may want to give it a try in 3 or 4 years. Or maybe not. There are a lot of good choices out there.

The band on that particular bandwagon may sound really pretty... but if your daughter doesn't care for it and is learning well with something else, don't change! She's awfully young. She may want to give it a try in 3 or 4 years. Or maybe not. There are a lot of good choices out there.

Well said. While I'm firmly on the AoPS bandwagon, it isn't the only one out there.

I'm also a fan of Thinkwell math, and we used it successfully. If Donna's daughter does develop an interest in math competitions, she can supplement her study with the AoPS problem solving books, as well as noodling around with number theory or counting/probability, all while sticking with Thinkwell (or Saxon, or Jacobs, or whatever) for core math study. AoPS also offers Mathcounts and AMC classes, another possible supplement to day-to-day math study.

As Momling said, lots of good choices.

AoPS is really, really amazing, but a kid can learn math well with other programs too.

We use Thinkwell for Algebra 2 for my son. We also use AOPS for the challenge problems. We like the combination of both. The video lectures in thinkwell are nice to have if needed, especially since we are not logistically to do the AOPS Algebra 2 online class. Go with you gut feeling of what works. I love AOPS and am on that bandwagon, but I also know there is more than one way to be successful in math and if my child had a strong preference I would choose that- AOPS or not.

Is she "coasting"? If she isn't challenged by her current program, I might add something in to at least make sure every problem she does isn't a breeze. I don't necessarily think it needs to be AoPS though. Maybe the extra Singapore books a year or 2 down?

My 5th grader is doing AoPS Algebra. If we were using other curriculum I think he'd be further down the road and likely coasting. I'm in no hurry at all to get to college level math. Crossing my fingers it takes us 2 years to get through AoPS Algebra. My son doesn't love math either, but as a math major I saw what college level math could do to students that weren't engaged or challenged in it. My kid is a "tech" kid too so it's pretty easy to envision him wanting to go into something that requires a good amount of higher level math.

I will also say last year we transitioned from Singapore elementary series to Singapore NEM. It was a growth year for sure, but well worth it. We just set a time limit for how long we'd work on math and if that meant doing one or 2 problems, so be it. We do that this year too. Maybe every college bound kid has a year where they go from "easy" math to "hard" math (that requires many steps and writing out a page full of work) and it's just a matter of choosing when you make that leap.

Good luck! I like AoPS, but can definitely see it's not the right choice for every math student. For kids that are precocious and ahead though, I do think it's good to find some level of challenge for them.

I will also say last year we transitioned from Singapore elementary series to Singapore NEM. It was a growth year for sure, but well worth it. We just set a time limit for how long we'd work on math and if that meant doing one or 2 problems, so be it. We do that this year too. Maybe every college bound kid has a year where they go from "easy" math to "hard" math (that requires many steps and writing out a page full of work) and it's just a matter of choosing when you make that leap.

We transitioned to NEM for my oldest and are having a similar experience. I didn't expect it (although a friend who tried it had warned me) -- silly me. I'm going to remember to set a time limit -- what a wonderful idea! Thank you!