Menu

Can I skip R&S English 2?

MamaHappy

Right now my ds (8) is doing Rod & Staff English 2 as part of HOD's Bigger. While we're enjoying Bigger, the R&S book isn't working out as well. It seems way too easy and repetitive for him. Could I just skip level 2 and go right to level 3?

Thanks!

I am using R&S 2 with my 6yo, I have 3 and it seems to cover the same topics with less repetition. I would think you could skip ahead.

Ha... I just replied to you privately when you posted on another list. :lol: Yes, you can easily move to 3. Even 3 is a bit slow, but it moves a LOT faster than 2. You start diagramming by the 6th lesson, and you do learn different parts of speech fairly early on. It's not 6 weeks of sentences vs. phrases. :D

Right now my ds (8) is doing Rod & Staff English 2 as part of HOD's Bigger. While we're enjoying Bigger, the R&S book isn't working out as well. It seems way too easy and repetitive for him. Could I just skip level 2 and go right to level 3?

Thanks!

My 8yo did Level 3 last year without having done level 2. She had no problem with it at all. My 7yo is doing level 2 this year in HOD's bigger and it is a good fit for her. But all of my other dc are doing a completely different R&S level or lesson than is written in the guide. It has not been a big deal for us.

OMG, seriously! :lol: I was just complaining to my dh the other day about how we're 6 weeks in and STILL talking about asking vs. telling sentences, lol.

Yeah, we finished that unit, and I looked ahead at the next unit that was going to spend 6 weeks on what a noun was. I closed the book and moved on! People say FLL1 is bad, but at least it puts other things inbetween the 45 lessons on common vs. proper nouns. :lol: FLL2 was not quite as bad - definitely moved quicker than R&S2, and it included more grammar in general.

R&S3 isn't nearly as bad as 2. You do have something different each day. If you need a copy, I have mine for sale still (and R&S 4 - brand new!). :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, we finished that unit, and I looked ahead at the next unit that was going to spend 6 weeks on what a noun was. I closed the book and moved on! People say FLL1 is bad, but at least it puts other things inbetween the 45 lessons on common vs. proper nouns. :lol: FLL2 was not quite as bad - definitely moved quicker than R&S2, and it included more grammar in general.

R&S3 isn't nearly as bad as 2. You do have something different each day. If you need a copy, I have mine for sale still (and R&S 4 - brand new!). :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I noticed that too about the noun unit and thought, oh brother! :tongue_smilie: I actually just bought a couple of used copies I found on Amazon, otherwise I'd take you up on your offer. Thanks anyway!