Menu

Anyone using Telling God's Story?

Micron4

Has anyone been using Telling God's Story? Thoughts???

I like the idea of starting with Jesus' ministry and emphasizing his words rather than starting in the Old Testament. My oldest is 5, so I think this would be easier for her to understand. I'd love to hear from some of you who are using it/have used it. Since it's relatively new, there seems to be less feedback on it.

We aren't using it as a curriculum, though I'm very intrigued by it. I haven't seen the student book but just finished the parent guide. Wow! My understanding of "the big picture" and the interconnectedness of the Bible has really grown through reading this. It makes so much sense to start at the center (Christ), and it really did change my perspective of other parts of the Bible.

We are a few weeks into it and I LOVE it, as do my boys (K, 2nd, and 4th). The lessons are the perfect length, and it's open and go. I love that we can add in coloring pages or activities as desired (or not). It is simple, but not dumbed down. I have my oldest read the corresponding pages (when available) in The Victor Journey Through the Bible to supplement the lesson for him.

We are using and it and liking it but also wishing it was a bit...."more". I'm using it with a PK'er, 1st grader and 3rd grader. The lessons are nice and the colouring pages are lovely but once we've done the lesson Monday morning it seems difficult to get that lesson to last us all week. The activities are fine too but it just seems to be a little too simple and not necessarily really making a big impact on the kids. I'm going to continue using it but we are also doing a character study 2 days a week so that I only do TGS 3x/week and we are reading through the Vos Bible at lunchtime. I do really like the philosophy of teaching the Bible to children though, starting with Jesus.

We use it and love it. I am using with my my 2nd and 5th grader.

They have a facebook page and there are blogs there of people who are using it and blogging about it.

We're using it and we like it. It's not particularly hard at this stage, but it is nice. One lesson a week and then activities to supplement. We usually do a couple of them. :)

We are liking it here, too. My kids are 9, 8 and 5. Don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of it because the message in each story has had a lasting and positive influence on my kids.:001_smile:

I saw one person comment about using the Victor Journey Through the Bible to supplement. The rest of you who are also using it with kids 8-ish +, how are you doing it? All on one day? The reading one day and activities the others day? And you are finding that it's sinking in? Not feeling too simplistic?

To the OP - hope I'm not hijacking?!

I saw one person comment about using the Victor Journey Through the Bible to supplement. The rest of you who are also using it with kids 8-ish +, how are you doing it? All on one day? The reading one day and activities the others day? And you are finding that it's sinking in? Not feeling too simplistic?

To the OP - hope I'm not hijacking?!

Our week goes a little like this:

(Monday: Classical Conversations)

Daily: Independent Bible reading, Bible memory songs (Sing the Word) and sing hymn (Hymns for a Kid's Heart)

Tuesday: Read TGS lesson + Victor Journey Through the Bible for 4th grader

Wednesday: Read lesson from Hymns for a Kid's Heart

Thursday: Quick review of TGS lesson + short activity

Friday: Read devotional from Hymns for a Kid's Heart

We have a lot on our plate this year, and I wanted something simple but rich and lovely for our Bible lessons. Telling God's Story is perfect.

I'm really, really curious to see what Year 2 will look like.

We're using it and loving it. The stories are good and get my girls really thinking. Every week there is a colouring page, so if I don't feel up to anything crafty, we at least can pause to colour a picture while we talk about the story. There are additional projects to add in, and my girls have LOVED the ones that we've done (digging for coins, making cinnamon sheep, and sand art).

I'm extremely pleased with the program, and the more so since I know (hope?!!) that there are future, more advanced volumes to follow.

Our week goes a little like this:

(Monday: Classical Conversations)

Daily: Independent Bible reading, Bible memory songs (Sing the Word) and sing hymn (Hymns for a Kid's Heart)

Tuesday: Read TGS lesson + Victor Journey Through the Bible for 4th grader

Wednesday: Read lesson from Hymns for a Kid's Heart

Thursday: Quick review of TGS lesson + short activity

Friday: Read devotional from Hymns for a Kid's Heart

We have a lot on our plate this year, and I wanted something simple but rich and lovely for our Bible lessons. Telling God's Story is perfect.

I'm really, really curious to see what Year 2 will look like.

Thanks for printing that out. I really have only found it to fill 2 days as well. I was hoping it would do all 5 but luckily I had some other things on hand to do on the other 3 days as a Bible/Character study.

I'm thrilled with the content and the philosophy Enns follows and am also very excited about Year 2.

Thanks for printing that out. I really have only found it to fill 2 days as well. I was hoping it would do all 5 but luckily I had some other things on hand to do on the other 3 days as a Bible/Character study.

I'm thrilled with the content and the philosophy Enns follows and am also very excited about Year 2.

Yes, we often can't fill the whole week either, as we skip some projects. I try to talk about what we learned on the first day throughout the week, but sometimes I don't get to it. I think we'll need more meat if we use level 2 of TGS next year with a 4th grader. Maybe we'll try the Victor's Journey Through the Bible. It sounds really good to me.

Yes, we often can't fill the whole week either, as we skip some projects. I try to talk about what we learned on the first day throughout the week, but sometimes I don't get to it. I think we'll need more meat if we use level 2 of TGS next year with a 4th grader. Maybe we'll try the Victor's Journey Through the Bible. It sounds really good to me.

I do find the note to parents in TGS very good also and have wondered about incorporating some of that information for my older student.