Menu

Algebra 2 problem: a to the zero

0 to the 0 power is undefined' date=' but if it could be defined, it would be 1.

Here's the explanation:

http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml[/quote']

I disagree with their assessment of the situation.

The essential reason why it is undefined is that the limit of x^y as (x,y)-> (0,0) may attain any value depending on the path chosen, hence the limit doesn't exist.

There are some circumstances (which they've listed, and done a good job of explaining) where it makes sense to "consider" it as one, but teaching either that it is one or should be one in a more general case will lead to difficulties both with indeterminate forms in l'Hospital's rule and with multivariate functions, where it certainly doesn't always equal 1.

In general, I believe that it should be avoided to teach something young (such as saying that x/0 = infinity) which will need to be untaught later.

I understand a to the zero power is 1. What happens when a is a negative number? For instance, a to the zero when a is -3? Is the answer +3 or -3?

The key here is figuring out what is the base.

-3^0, the base is 3 which is raised to the 0, then the answer is negated, thus -3^0 = -1

(-3)^0, the base here is -3, raised to the 0, so the answer is 1

5x^0, the base is x, so we have 5(1) = 5.

(5x)^0, the base is 5x, so we have 1.

Some calculators will handle -3^0 correctly, others incorrectly, so it's good to experiment with your model if you're using the calculator.

a^0 (a to the zero power) is the same thing as:

a/a

if you 'subtract' the exponent (hidden 1) from the numerator and the denominator you are left with 1/1. This works as long as a is a non-zero integer (so positive and negative non zero are ok).

Why does a have to be an integer? Doesn't this also work if a is any real number?

Yes.

Thanks for the reply.

Are these the correct answers? (I don't get the trick!)

Say the opposite of these words: 1. Always 2. Coming 3. From 4. Take 5. Me 6. Down

1. never

2. going

3. to

4. give

5. you

6. up

I feel really stupid. :confused: