Menu

Any dentist-y people on here? Chipped tooth

My 3rd and 4th sons were wrestling around, and my 4th son chipped his front tooth on his brother's head. Gah. It's a pretty large chunk that chipped off the bottom (and it's a permanent tooth, of course). We have an appointment with the dentist at 3:30, but is there something we should be doing with the broken-off part, which we have? The receptionist didn't say, and I didn't think to ask. And does anyone know what the dentist might do? All I can think is--sounds expensive. Ah well . . . boys.

Put the chip in a glass of milk and bring it to the appointment that way. Ice your son's lip/mouth so swelling can be kept to a minimum.

Ds fell in the school cafeteria a couple of years ago and did the same thing - chipped a piece off of his front adult tooth. The school secretary did what I suggested above and our dentist commented that she did the right things.

Ds took advil when we got home from the dentist office -- the most sore thing was his lip where he hit the edge of a table. His tooth required two visits I think. I wouldn't even be able to tell you which one it is -- it looks fabulous.

HTH

Edited by MariannNOVA

Not a dentist or expert (by any stretch) but I thought there were special handling procedures mostly when the tooth has the viable, living (root?) part of it that needs to be reattached. Call them if you haven't already to be sure.

I hope you're surprised and it's some painless, inexpensive fix (maybe they can bond the big chip back on or something?)