Menu

Dh watched me teaching 4yo to read today...

And had advice. :svengo:

This is my 3rd kid to teach to read. And if there weren't anything obvious about it, I also minored in teaching reading in my master's degree. And I was awake, while dh was...mostly still asleep.

Him: You're covering up some of the letters.

Me: I know.

Him: Well, she's trying to read the one under your finger.

Me: I know. (That's why I covered it to begin with--so she'd focus on the right one.)

:glare:

:D Yeah. I've btdt with the advice (though for me it was in math). My best answer to that is "Go away!"

He does that occasionally w/ 10yo's math. When he gets the answer wrong, he stops confusing the kid. :lol:

I really do like having him around for school time. It makes him appreciate more what we do. And...I think it's important for him to see the kids doing what they can do. :001_smile:

And had advice. :svengo:

This is my 3rd kid to teach to read. And if there weren't anything obvious about it, I also minored in teaching reading in my master's degree. And I was awake, while dh was...mostly still asleep.

Him: You're covering up some of the letters.

Me: I know.

Him: Well, she's trying to read the one under your finger.

Me: I know. (That's why I covered it to begin with--so she'd focus on the right one.)

:glare:

We use Apples and Pears and it comes with a cardboard cursor you cut out to use just for that purpose. Maybe you need something very official looking. :D

Yeah....my dh likes to step in sometimes too. I just hand him the materials and walk away.

And then un--confuse the kids later.:lol: (dh is brilliant, and goes into waaaaay more detail than they need at that point. He's great for high school though!)

:iagree:

Hence leaving the kids entirely out of their own discussion time when it came to talking about the meaning of the word "myth" the other day! :lol: