Menu

Longer picture book suggestions?

La Condessa

Does anyone have suggestions for me for realistically illustrated, long picture books with more text per page? Along the lines of One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey? (She also enjoys his Blueberries for Sal and Make Way for Ducklings, but lately just loves Morning in Maine which is more text-heavy, with a little more complicated plot.) Other recent hits include Monarch Butterfly of Aster Way (Smithsonian Backyard Series) and Hans Brinker.

Thanks

Why is realistically illustrated a must?

There are some fantastic Dr. Suess books - I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but I've found a lot of people's knowledge of Suess stops at "One Fish, Two Fish" and "Green Eggs and Ham", but he has many longer picture books as well.

- The Lorax

- Yertle the Turtle

- The Many Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins (this one doesn't even rhyme!)

- To Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street

- Horton Hatches the Egg

Many More..

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll be looking these up at the library.

Why is realistically illustrated a must?

She just seems drawn to that style right now. She went through a phase a few months ago where she wanted Horton, Lorax, Yertle, Sneetches, and Places You'll Go constantly, but now she's fascinated by long, realistic picture books.

I had this list of picture books for older kids on my blog awhile back. I think Jon Muth's Stillwater books is especially a good idea given what you're looking for - and anything by Allen Say may also be good.

Also, how about some Paul Goble, if you can do some legends. Or maybe some Oliver Jeffers, who has short ones, but which are nice thinking books, if that makes any sense. Also, some of the older classics are longer, like Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel or Millions of Cats. Oh, and how about Owl Moon. You should check out the FIAR lists - some of those are short, but many of them are longer picture books. ETA: And William Steig! I know they're not realistic, but they are wonderful slightly longer picture books.