Menu

How do your older children react to your stress?

How do your older children react to your stress?  

1. 1. How do your older children react to your stress?

• They pitch in to help (or try to), alleviating the stress
    • They resist, thus adding to the stress
    • Obligatory other (please explain)

If you are feeling stressed, how do your older children (let's say older than 10) react? For example, if you are feeling general stress (not directed toward one person) that A, B, and C need to get done before a specific time because of unchangeable event D, how do they respond? Do they help you and alleviate your stress? Or, do they resist you, take up an offense, and increase your stress?

ETA: I am not meaning to contribute to the poll frenzy. I'd really like to know.

Edited by WTMCassandra

My only one older than 10 is pretty clueless to my feelings most of the time, unless I look him right in the face and say "I am feeling very stressed out because of x, so please, PLEASE do y" unfortunately for him, this conversation usuallly happens AFTER I have reached my limit :glare:

Jumping back in to say that my reply was too simplistic before. The truth is, it depends.

If my ds is feeling hormonally charged at the time, he can feed off my stress and go off the deep end, which causes me to go off the deep end, which. . . (you get the picture?)

If my ds is more stable at the moment, he will come to give me hugs (sometimes when I don't want them because I'm busy trying to deal with the thing that stressed me to begin with). Or he will wash the dishes (much appreciated anytime!) or he will attempt to do something nice and will make a bigger mess by accident (causing more stress). Or he will avoid me which can give me time to deal with both my emotions and sometimes the solutions (if there are any) at the same time.

. . . he can feed off my stress and go off the deep end, which causes me to go off the deep end, which. . . (you get the picture?)

Oh, yes, I do get the picture. My concern is that my children seem to 99.8% of the time react in this way, which leaves me feeling kicked when I am down. I am trying to find out if this perversity is normal or not. :lol:

If I express stress, in any form at all, they take offense and go off the deep end. Often they *think* it is directed at them even when I have said several times that it is not. And since they *think* it is directed at them, they "attack back."

Which, of course, does not in the least help my stress.