Menu

For those whose kids listen to audio books in bed at night....

Okay, this is a really trivial question LOL. We've just started letting our 4 and 7 year olds listen to audio books at night. They began Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this evening. DD4 fell asleep in the middle of it. DD7 listened until I came and turned it off.

If this happens, do you just begin it where you turned it off? DD4 will be lost in the story line since she fell asleep. Not sure that it would bother her though. I know that DD7 won't want to hear what she's already heard....not to mention, I have no idea how much DD4 has heard of the story.

See, totally trivial LOL.

My dc almost always stay awake for the whole CD (of a multiple-disc story), but in the rare event that they don't, they just listen to the whole thing over again. And, yes, my kids share rooms and CD players. :001_smile:

Edited by Caitilin

I just start where ever it got turned off the night before. The older one always stays awake until the end of the track. The younger one doesn't seem to care that he's missing parts of the story. If he ever starts complaining I'll just let him get caught up during his quiet time in the afternoon.

Both boys (10 & 4) each get their own play-away at the library each week. They just plug right into the unit and each have their own story to listen to. Sometimes they'll listen to the other's story later in the week. We were having the same problem so this was my solution. It's worked so far and everyone is happy! :)

Both boys (10 & 4) each get their own play-away at the library each week. They just plug right into the unit and each have their own story to listen to. Sometimes they'll listen to the other's story later in the week. We were having the same problem so this was my solution. It's worked so far and everyone is happy! :)

I had never heard of play-aways. I had to look them up. Cool! Our library does not have those though.

I just start where ever it got turned off the night before. The older one always stays awake until the end of the track. The younger one doesn't seem to care that he's missing parts of the story. If he ever starts complaining I'll just let him get caught up during his quiet time in the afternoon.

This worked for us until my younger one got mad that he was missing things. It only comes up now when we are traveling or staying with relatives but that's often enough that I had to chime in.

My solution is to do mostly books that are sort of in chunks and missing some doesn't matter. Mrs Piggle Wiggle, Mercy Watson are sort of anecdotes. Jim Weiss, SOTW, Atticus the Storyteller, etc all work that you can fall asleep at the end of one of the stories.

Those also work better for us when they are actually trying to fall asleep since an exciting novel is hard to check out of. We do those when we go to bed early and I know there's time before they need to crash.