Menu

would this bother you?

I was on the phone with my dad, when out of no where my DD4 throws a ball at my head, misses, hits the lamp, bounces off the lamp, and then lands on the side table next to me nearly knocking over a framed picture.

DD4 knows not to throw balls in the house, and just yesterday got in trouble for doing it from her daddy.

So I say, "DD, you are NOT to throw balls in the house! Go to your room." Explain what happened to my dad, then got up to take the ball to my bedroom closet. On the way I pass DDs room and tell her, "The balls going in my closet." Child whails, "No momma!" and I say, "Yes you know not to throw balls in the house, its going in my closet."

My dad then says, "Are you punishing her by putting her in the closet?" I said "What?" Cause I can't believe he is serious. And he says, "Are you putting DD in the closet as a punishment now?" :001_huh:

I said, "No!" and he said, "Oh good, I thought "Put her in the corner, not in the closet."

It really bothers me that he thought I was going to lock my child in a dark closet. Would this bother you?

I have to change my response b/c I incorrectly read your post. It sounds like your dad was trying to joke. No, it wouldn't bother me. I originally thought your dad was telling you to put dd in the closet - that would scare me. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Denise

Edited by FrogMom5

I don't think you are being too sensitive. It would bother me. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was capable of doing something like that. I would probably call him back and find out if it was just a simple misunderstanding or if there is something more going on.

Blessings,

Elise in NC

I have to change my response b/c I incorrectly read your post. It sounds like your dad was trying to joke. No, it wouldn't bother me. I originally thought your dad was telling you to put dd in the closet - that would scare me. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Denise

Originally wrote something else here, but edited to say NVM because it was just pointing out what my dad actually said.

My dear mil is always jumping to the worst conclusions. It's soooo common for her to say, "Wait . . . you're not going to [fill in the blank with something appalling] are you?" At which point I say, with exaggerated patience, "Noooo, I said I was going to {insert highly reasonable thing to do}."

Don't get all hot and bothered about it. As soon as you emotionally jump onto, "How could you even think that I would . . ." things just get ugly. You won't feel happy inside, and you'll have an argument with your father that won't go anywhere.

He misheard you and said something stupid. You corrected his misapprehension. Just let it go now.

Since it was just an in the moment reaction based on something he overheard, I wouldn't think it reflects anything he thinks about you. Instead, I'd just see it as evidence that in his generation locking a kid in a closet was much more often the sort of thing that happened.

I know I am a bit sensitive to comments from my parents, so I am not surprised this would hurt you. But, I do think it was fairly mild and if your dad is aging as mine is, his hearing may be deteriorating too.

Around her my son likes to go into our closet too. We have a large closet beneath the stairs in our basement and kids love to go into it even though it has no light. My son dubbed it *the pondering room* because we have big yoga balls in there and 4 or 5 kids can go in there, sit on the balls and talk. Sometimes I worry other families will think that's a bit weird though.

It would mostly crack me up &--depending on person--bother me a little later on when I had time to think about it. But my whole family thought I was a Nazi mom when we first started having kids. Now that the kids are older, I get asked for advice. By family who's since actually HAD kids & turned out to be more authoritarian than I am. Hehehehe.