Menu

Opinions, Please

Joyofsixreboot

A 10 yo boy. Hates writing. Has only started since 6 months of vision therapy.

This is a written narration of our reading over Wm Penn.

The king gave Penn land. He was fair to the indians. The englishmen and indians signed a treaty. The indians called Penn Onas which meant fether. Penn also joined in a game with the indians.

Some spelling and capitalization errors but is he at least finally on track or is this woefully behind for his age?

is he at least finally on track or is this woefully behind for his age?

I'm guessing that this is a huge improvement from what he's done before. Rejoice in that and keep working on his writing skills. Try not to dwell on where he is compared to other kids, but keep on working at his pace. That's one of the advantages of homeschooling.

I'm guessing that this is a huge improvement from what he's done before. Rejoice in that and keep working on his writing skills. Try not to dwell on where he is compared to other kids, but keep on working at his pace. That's one of the advantages of homeschooling.

:iagree:

It's so easy to get into a comparison game and feel badly where they are behind peers. I would not say he is woefully behind. Writing is almost like an individual sport, you gauge gains by previous results.

I'd say he has made a good start. I would praise his effort, his results, correct the few errors and paste it on the fridge.

He got words on paper, he pulled out facts and wrote them down. I now know something about William Penn that I didn't before.

If you haven't listened to SWB's lectures on A Plan for writing, I highly recommend them.

:iagree:

It's so easy to get into a comparison game and feel badly where they are behind peers. I would not say he is woefully behind. Writing is almost like an individual sport, you gauge gains by previous results.

I'd say he has made a good start. I would praise his effort, his results, correct the few errors and paste it on the fridge.

He got words on paper, he pulled out facts and wrote them down. I now know something about William Penn that I didn't before.

If you haven't listened to SWB's lectures on A Plan for writing, I highly recommend them.

From a parent whose kid also hate writing, I have to agree with this.

Thanks for your replies. Until about 2 weeks ago he had written nothing. Copy work was beyond him. I think I'll just let him continue finding his feet for awhile and then try a gentle formal program. I think he's turned off WWE though because of past experience. I'm going to have to do some research. I have listened to SWB downloads and read tons on writing just didn't know why he couldn't write until 6 months ago.

Edited by joyofsix

Thanks for your replies. Until about 2 weeks ago he had written nothing. Copy work was beyond him. I think I'll just let him continue finding his feet for awhile and then try a gentle formal program. I think he's turned off WWE though because of past experience. I'm going to have to do some research. I have listened to SWB downloads and read tons on writing just didn't know why he couldn't write until 6 months ago.

I'll be honest I have not found one program that completely works for ds. I own/have tried a lot of writing programs. I pull bits and pieces out of each, and use what works. I like the WWE, WWS approach, but outlining is akin to torture for my son. So I pulled out what I thought would work.

The biggest challenge was getting words on paper. Last year he gave me a paper that said "words on paper" and "I hate ants" (we were having an ant infestation). Literally, he wrote "words" on the paper several times and drew an ant. Yup, he was frustrated, so was I.

So getting 4-5 sentences on a page on a regular basis is worthy. You can discuss formatting, I now have my ds type, correct errors, and teach them how to use the resources (dictionary, thesaurus, writing guides) to polish their pieces.

Best wishes for happy writing this year.