Menu

Growing with Grammar vs First Language Lessons

warneral

I started out loving the idea of Growing with Grammar and ended up purchasing that along with Winning with Writing for both kids (2nd and 3rd grades).

My mathy son is not as strong in Language Arts and my dd is the opposite (as my son noticed today ;)).

After reading TWTM and struggling with how to implement narrations, I ended up buying WWE2 to help guide us in the practice of narrating. My dd seemed to need more practice so I also got WWE1 to do for her instead of WWE2.

Next, I started looking at FLL samples and liking how she defines a noun and purchased FLL3 to do with both kids. This has been going well - both kids can follow along, but we are still in the nouns and it moves a bit slowly.

Meanwhile, my son did Test 2 on GWG today and really did poorly. This isn't the first indication that he isn't understanding the parts of speech, but it was definitely the straw that broke this camel's back. To be honest, I find this all so tiring that I wanted a few subjects that they can do independently and THAT is why I chose GWG. My dd doesn't seem to have a problem with it. My son, however - seems to rush through as quickly as possible without understanding.

I'm thinking of just dropping GWG since we're already doing FLL3 and then just focusing on it more. Or, I could sit with DS during his lesson time and read it to him, discuss with him, and then have him do the workbook without the lesson book. It seems he is just rushing through, looking at examples without understanding the terminology and the "why". But if I'm doing that, it is no longer as independent. Plus there is the redundancy of using FLL3.

I think I want to keep WWW becuase it does some basic writing teaching such as friendly letter, paragraph, etc.

Any BTDT advice? I'm a true newbie who is so insecure that I think I'm overwhelming us with too much curriculum and too high of expectations :chillpill:

I started last year (2nd grade) with FLL1/2 and GWG2. I liked him having the independent subject and dropped FLL1/2. At the end of the year after finishing GWG, I found that he hadn't retained ANYTHING. So....this year )3rd grade) we only do FLL3 for grammar. He can certainly regurgitate the definitions of the parts of speech now and we are now diagramming sentences and he can do it without the prompting, so I'm sticking with it. I think GWG was too easy for him to come up with the answers without really understanding what he was doing. I'm sure it's a great program for some, just not for us! For writing, we are on overkill, but he needs work in that area...we use WWE2 4x per week (as written); WWW3 4 x per week (usually combine day 1-2 to one day that was we can do a whole lesson in a week); All Things Fun and Fascinating (IEW) is 1 x week (we're going slowly over beginning outlining). Sorry this is long winded!

no, I was the one who was long winded. I think GWG will work for DD b/c she naturally understands the stuff but for DS, who wants to rush through and get the answer and be done, it doesn't work. I think if I drop GWG I'll drop it for both of them. The more that I think about it, two Grammar programs is overkill to begin with! If FLL isn't working over time, there are still plenty more years to drill them with grammar ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I would drop GWG if it's not working and you're already doing FLL3. Certainly no need to do both! It sounds like your son needs the interaction to learn the material in this case.

My 7 year old is doing FLL3. While the first couple weeks are nouns, it soon gets into verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. We're in the early 20s lessons now and have diagrammed sentences with both adjectives and adverbs in them at the same time. FLL3 also goes over letter writing (it's in the back). I don't think it gets into paragraph writing, though I could be wrong.

We use WWE also, and love it.

I would stick with GWG but I would give your son a weekly, one-page grammar quiz every Friday, pulling material from all the past weeks of GWG, being sure to "mix them up". I do this with my older, and it really helps with finding gaps before they become unfixable. For example, last week I realized he was constantly confusing preposition and conjunction, even though when pressed he will get them right, and he was also confusing proper noun and pronoun last year. If we hadn't revisited this through a brief weekly quiz, I may not have realized what was going on.

It takes just 10 minutes to prepare the quiz; I pull out his GWG book and find challenging material from previous weeks and write about five questions covering a mix of material (this alone can reveal gaps, because he's not just "filling in the blank" based on prior answers). I also find doing occasional sentence analysis helps keep things in his head. FWIW, he didn't miss any questions on his end-of-year standardized test (the language arts portion) last year so I think it's working.

DS1 did GWG last year (his request, we had the book and he liked the cover) and didn't retain any of it. We switched to FLL and earlier this week I gave him some worksheets to do so I could see how he was retaining it and he did very well. OK, honestly, it made my day that he was remembering what he had learned! I had my doubts because FLL was always so quick and easy but it did sink in.

I'm glad it isn't just my son that retained NOTHING after almost a year of GWG. We switched to FLL and he is doing well. Definitely starting to really click. The constant review and dialogue really seems to work. I would love him to be doing something more independent, but it isn't going to happen. Now, next year he will be doing ALL, and that should be independent, I think.

Thanks for reaffirming what I realized today - he needs me to teach this to him :) I'm still thinking I might drop GWG ONLY because I'm already overwhelmed and GWG + FLL is redundant. Either way, we'll be doing some "together time" to learn the topics and keep it all straight. My mind is similar to his and I can understand how all of these new terms "predicate, simple, proper, etc" can be confusing :)