Menu

I'm sooo pregnant - Must change homeschooling

I'm fading. I really am. The last few days I've felt it more. My energy level has dropped and my patience is dropping with it. Stuff is not getting done.

So here's the plan:

Harry - Two short chunks of school. Reading and spelling in the morning for about 1 1/2 hours. The rest after I get up from my nap at 2 pm.

Catherine - Tues. & Thurs. all the languages and English stuff but double up on the work/lessons and science in the afternoon with Harry (parallel topics, different depth and readings of course). Mon, Wed. & Fri. 2 hours of math in the morning and history in the afternoon.

Math, history and science were not getting done because the last two are always first to go and she needs more help with math. I'm hoping 2 straight hours will give her more attention from me and MUCH needed practice.

I'm thinking this will also go a lot easier on me because the days with subjects I really need to buckle down on (Catherine does languages and English independently) will be spread out more.

Sound okay?

No, putting it aside for now isn't an option I think. We'll have a couple of weeks off when the baby gets here and then Christmas off just a month after that. We need to get some work done.

I don't know about your plan in particular, but I'm due the same day as you, & I asked this question a week or so ago. Everybody said staunchly that they work right. up. to. their. due date. I know that's not the answer I heard a couple of years ago, but I wiped away the tears, pulled up the boots, & determined to keep going.

Then this week hit. Mon was so bad. Through the sobbing, I told dh, there's just no way, NO WAY people can school through this. It's not pain or exhaustion for me, it's the craziness. I'm short-tempered, & I can't add two numbers to grade a paper. I think I'm getting nesty, too, because I keep wanting to clean stuff instead of doing school.

I've made a list of reading for the next few weeks, so that they can work on that on their own when I need them to, but it's backfired: they'll go upstairs or outside to read, & then I don't have the gumption to go after them when I'm ready for them, so I just leave them to the reading. Which might not be the end of the world, except...you know that weird spacey feeling you get from too much reading? Yeah, they're pretty much worthless after that. :glare:

But we're behind on art, so I thought if I have a really good day, that would be something to do. Ds's math is sorted out so he can just flip through a notebook on his own. Um...iow, he doesn't need to be told which book to work out of next. I don't mean I'm throwing him to the sharks wrt learning it. Although...he could probably handle that for the most part.

:grouphug:

OT: I've also been wanting to ask you about your dish rack system. I tried it last month, but most of our books wouldn't fit. Then it flipped over, somebody stuffed something in wrong, & pages got bent. Why does it look so good & sound so easy on your blog while at my house...well, it looks like *I* thought of it. :lol:

Can she handle 2 hours straight of math? That can be a lot.

Yup. I know it seems like I'd be loading a lot on but honestly, she's near to that often anyways because she takes so long to get through her math sometimes. I'm hoping a longer and more intense focus will get her working through some of it faster.

If it doesn't work I'm willing to drop it down again though.

I don't know about your plan in particular, but I'm due the same day as you, & I asked this question a week or so ago. Everybody said staunchly that they work right. up. to. their. due date. I know that's not the answer I heard a couple of years ago, but I wiped away the tears, pulled up the boots, & determined to keep going.

Then this week hit. Mon was so bad. Through the sobbing, I told dh, there's just no way, NO WAY people can school through this. It's not pain or exhaustion for me, it's the craziness. I'm short-tempered, & I can't add two numbers to grade a paper. I think I'm getting nesty, too, because I keep wanting to clean stuff instead of doing school.

I've made a list of reading for the next few weeks, so that they can work on that on their own when I need them to, but it's backfired: they'll go upstairs or outside to read, & then I don't have the gumption to go after them when I'm ready for them, so I just leave them to the reading. Which might not be the end of the world, except...you know that weird spacey feeling you get from too much reading? Yeah, they're pretty much worthless after that. :glare:

But we're behind on art, so I thought if I have a really good day, that would be something to do. Ds's math is sorted out so he can just flip through a notebook on his own. Um...iow, he doesn't need to be told which book to work out of next. I don't mean I'm throwing him to the sharks wrt learning it. Although...he could probably handle that for the most part.

:grouphug:

I think I responded that I'd be working right up to the due date. Ugh. Double ugh.

OT: I've also been wanting to ask you about your dish rack system. I tried it last month, but most of our books wouldn't fit. Then it flipped over, somebody stuffed something in wrong, & pages got bent. Why does it look so good & sound so easy on your blog while at my house...well, it looks like *I* thought of it. :lol:

Because I staged the picture before taking the photo. :D

Truthfully, it works best for thinner books and workbooks. I also had to keep on top of the kids for several weeks until they put stuff away properly. It still doesn't always look as neat as it does in the photo. I've never had it flip though!

I'm due the day before you on the 27th. I'm possibly going to be induced on the 20th though, if I make it that long.

I feel like I'm going to die.

This has been the most uncomfortable end to a pregnancy that I've had yet. Everything hurts, I feel nauseous sometimes, I feel hungry, the baby's head is engaged and she feels like she's going to fall out.....my most used phrase is "I'm sorry, mommy can't do that right now, I'm not feeling well." I've basically stopped leaving the house. A trip to the grocery store leaves my sitting/lying for the next two hours. Yeah, I'm done LOL.

We're still plugging along with school. We get it all done once in a blue moon. I make sure the three R's are done nearly every day. We just started our science curriculum last week. I have big plans for it that I know are about to be put on hold. I'm nearly finished making our artist study lesson plans too. I'm really excited about them but I know they are about to get put on hold as well.

I get around to schooling my 4 year old about once a week. Not a big deal, but I do want her to learn her letter sounds and some basic math before kindergarten.

I've had DH start taking the kids to church and I've just been staying home. I attempted homeschool group this morning and came home halfway through it. I give up LOL.

I so understand where you are coming from.

Because I staged the picture before taking the photo. :D

Truthfully, it works best for thinner books and workbooks. I also had to keep on top of the kids for several weeks until they put stuff away properly. It still doesn't always look as neat as it does in the photo. I've never had it flip though!

:lol: I think my favorite people are honest ones! :D

I'm due the day before you on the 27th. I'm possibly going to be induced on the 20th though, if I make it that long.

I feel like I'm going to die.

Thank goodness it's not just me!!

This has been the most uncomfortable end to a pregnancy that I've had yet. Everything hurts, I feel nauseous sometimes, I feel hungry, the baby's head is engaged and she feels like she's going to fall out.....my most used phrase is "I'm sorry, mommy can't do that right now, I'm not feeling well." I've basically stopped leaving the house. A trip to the grocery store leaves my sitting/lying for the next two hours. Yeah, I'm done LOL.

I've had more uncomfortable pregnancies...I think...but...I'm so WHINY. *I* can't stand me! :lol:

And, yeah, I'm nauseous, freezing, sweating. Every time I stand up, I have to go to the bathroom. Walking is impossible. My kids got lost in a Halloween maze last weekend. From the outside, it looked small enough for them to do on their own (it was). But when I got worried & went in after them, I got lost. :svengo: Next weekend, we're supposed to go to a BIG one. I'm scared.

We're still plugging along with school. We get it all done once in a blue moon. I make sure the three R's are done nearly every day. We just started our science curriculum last week. I have big plans for it that I know are about to be put on hold. I'm nearly finished making our artist study lesson plans too. I'm really excited about them but I know they are about to get put on hold as well.

I'm just too CRANKY to do it all. I made a list of reading assignments for them to work through on their own--6 weeks' worth of Just Reading. I'd like to finish up this week of everything, though...it's *officially* week 6 for us, though I think it's taken us 15 weeks to do it. :lol: But it's a good stopping place. Then we can work ahead on reading. And by "we" I mean the kids. I can just sit here & scowl.

I get around to schooling my 4 year old about once a week. Not a big deal, but I do want her to learn her letter sounds and some basic math before kindergarten.

Yeah. That. Mine begged to do math today. I opened the book for her; from there, she was on her own. :001_huh:

I've had DH start taking the kids to church and I've just been staying home. I attempted homeschool group this morning and came home halfway through it. I give up LOL.

I so understand where you are coming from.

Dh has been working Sunday mornings, so it's been a non-issue, but our car broke down last Sun night at AWANAS. It took him & a couple of other guys the entire two hours to fix it--which was fine, I was really, really grateful, but there was nowhere to sit while I waited. I offered to help w/ one of the classes, & I was sent to supervise Sparkies' game time. :svengo:

By the time we got home, my ankles were like personal watermelons. :tongue_smilie:

By the time we got home, my ankles were like personal watermelons. :tongue_smilie:

Yes! I didn't really have swelling with the first two but now I am and my hands are getting swollen as well. *sigh*

I generally get up with my husband in the morning to make him breakfast and a lunch but he now understands that he's lucky if I can manage that. Getting sleep so I don't go crazy and eat the kids is a priority over making meals for a perfectly capable grown man.

Aww. I so feel for you all! The last of my recent (and LAST) pregnancy was really difficult. I had to sleep sitting up, my feet were so swollen I could barely walk, I had sciatica and SPD, and the heartburn was driving me insane. Now here's the good news... dealing with a newborn is a cakewalk compared to the exhausted yuck you all are describing! Even with the lack of sleep from a nursing baby, I'm still more rested than I was at the end of pregnancy. And of course, there's the whole part where I get to snuggle with a new baby, which makes any day a treat. Oh, and it's nice to be less cranky, and therefore more able to actually deal with the other kidlets. :D

Dawn, I think your plan sounds great. I would also think it a great plan to turn to nothing but reading for the kids and looooong naps for Mama. Or anything else you can think of that will work for you.

Now I'm off to stare at my sweet newborn again... she's sitting here smiling at me, the little sweetie! (7 weeks old already!!! It goes so fast!!)

Sending out lots of love, and wishes for easy transitions for the pregnant mamas! :grouphug:

Now here's the good news... dealing with a newborn is a cakewalk compared to the exhausted yuck you all are describing!

Thanks for everything but thank you especially for this! I've been dreading the time after the baby arrives thinking it was going to be even worse but you're giving me some hope. :001_smile:

Thanks for everything but thank you especially for this! I've been dreading the time after the baby arrives thinking it was going to be even worse but you're giving me some hope. :001_smile:

Oh goodness, you are going to be so pleasantly surprised! :lol: The baby will sleep a lot while you recover to your former glory, and every day you will wake up and cheer for the increased mobility, energy, etc. that you are getting back to. You should have seen me the day my feet finally settled back to their normal size! I was forcing everyone to admire their slim appearance with me. :lol: And being able to put my own socks on... oh, the joy! Then there's sleeping laying flat, not needing to pee in the middle of the night, being able to eat without feeling like your stomach is in your throat... oh yeah, lots to appreciate as it comes back to you!

Plus, with the ages of your big kids, you will have a lot of help and other people to sit around and admire the baby with you. They will be completely smitten (as big siblings always are) and neither of them is so young that you have to worry about them eating the baby when you go pee! :D

I hope the rest of this month passes very quickly for you! I have 11 weeks to go and at times am already starting to feel like I should go any moment! The thought that this is only going to get worse before it gets better isn't very comforting right now! :001_smile:

Yes! I didn't really have swelling with the first two but now I am and my hands are getting swollen as well. *sigh*

I generally get up with my husband in the morning to make him breakfast and a lunch but he now understands that he's lucky if I can manage that. Getting sleep so I don't go crazy and eat the kids is a priority over making meals for a perfectly capable grown man.

My ankles swell when I'm having a boy. My hands are swelling/going to sleep this time, too.

Your dh should make b'fast for YOU. ;)

Oh goodness, you are going to be so pleasantly surprised! :lol: The baby will sleep a lot while you recover to your former glory, and every day you will wake up and cheer for the increased mobility, energy, etc. that you are getting back to. You should have seen me the day my feet finally settled back to their normal size! I was forcing everyone to admire their slim appearance with me. :lol: And being able to put my own socks on... oh, the joy! Then there's sleeping laying flat, not needing to pee in the middle of the night, being able to eat without feeling like your stomach is in your throat... oh yeah, lots to appreciate as it comes back to you!

Plus, with the ages of your big kids, you will have a lot of help and other people to sit around and admire the baby with you. They will be completely smitten (as big siblings always are) and neither of them is so young that you have to worry about them eating the baby when you go pee! :D

:iagree: That's why I think (& have always heard) that time off (from hs'ing) is better taken at the end than afterward.

You know I only have a toddler, but I have actually used his waffle blocks to build a small table that stays near the couch so we can play play dough, color, and play other games without me being required to sit up or move around much.

It doesn't help that some sort of hormonal switch has been flipped and I am a complete and utter nutcase. Or that the baby seems to be trying to re arrange my ribs?!

All that to say, your plan sounds good! :grouphug: FWIW, from a non schooling mom. :tongue_smilie: