Menu

Yet another Miquon question -Writing numbers?

Nart

My 4 year old has played around in the pre-Miquon activity book. We have also been doing RightStart A using C-rods instead of the abacus, since he likes the rods better than the abacus.

My question to those who used Miquon with younger students: Was your DC able to write numbers when you starting using Miquon? I tried bringing out Miquon but since my DS has weak fine motor skills (we just figured out he is a lefty, too) we haven't pushed writing numbers. It seems like a better program for students who can actually write numbers in the lab book. I took it out but he wasn't interested in doing any of the lab sheets even orally.

My 4 year old has played around in the pre-Miquon activity book. We have also been doing RightStart A using C-rods instead of the abacus, since he likes the rods better than the abacus.

My question to those who used Miquon with younger students: Was your DC able to write numbers when you starting using Miquon? I tried bringing out Miquon but since my DS has weak fine motor skills (we just figured out he is a lefty, too) we haven't pushed writing numbers. It seems like a better program for students who can actually write numbers in the lab book. I took it out but he wasn't interested in doing any of the lab sheets even orally.

We did a ton of stuff before my son could write well. Some things involved making up our own pages and activities in a Miquon-style. He loved solving equations like 3+[ ]=8 just using C Rods (no writing).

And "greater than/less than" (and "how much greater than/less than") required no writing. We did use a hand- drawn inequalities card (>) he could flip the right way between two cards and say 3 is less than 5 or 5 is less than 3.

These were "extra" ideas, but much of what's in Miquon can be done without writing.

Bill

My ds is 4.5 and can't write letters or numbers yet. I want to do Miquon but we will wait until he's more comfortable with fine motor first. For my ds I think it would be a better K program anyway. We're just doing counting and easy addition and subtraction orally right now. I may go ahead and buy the c-rods for games after seeing the earlier thread on here.

My daughter started before she could write numbers. I gave her a choice of using a rod to represent a number, using a number card, having me scribe for her, or having me "dot" the answer (that she dictates) which she then would trace. All of those strategies worked well for her.

This is whati would do, but only AFTER a hefty amount of free rod play.

My ds is 4.5 and can't write letters or numbers yet. I want to do Miquon but we will wait until he's more comfortable with fine motor first. For my ds I think it would be a better K program anyway. We're just doing counting and easy addition and subtraction orally right now. I may go ahead and buy the c-rods for games after seeing the earlier thread on here.

The C Rods are really cool for this age where the fine motor skills are still developing, but the mind is ready to start exploring and learning through play.

This is the "magic time" for this sort of learning.

Bill