Menu

Healthy Baking Question

I'm looking to bake more breakfasts for my kids. It saves me time first thing in the morning and they like to get their own breakfasts as they wake up rather than eat all together. They love things like banana breads, carrot cake, apple and cinnamon muffins, apple pie etc.. Of course, I also intersperse baked breakfasts with yogurt and fruit, granola, pre-boiled eggs, and other nutritious things, but I'd feel more at ease if I could bake the things they liked in a healthy way. I'm particularly looking to substitute ground oats for part/all of the flour, to use no sugar/small amounts of honey or a natural sweetner; in other words I don't want to feel guilty if they have seconds and thirds. If anyone knows a recipe in this vein that works, please share!! The ones I've found online all turn out like tough, unappetizing stuff. :bigear:

Well, my kids like baked oatmeal. I use this recipe but cut the sugar down to 1/4 cup and cut the butter in half if I'm feeling spiffy. I usually use raisins or fresh blueberries instead of cranberries and toss in a handful each of nuts and seeds of some sort.

We also like corn muffins and I make those for breakfast at least once per week. I use a basic corn muffin recipe: 1 c. each flour and corn meal, 1 egg, 1/4 c. sugar, 1/3 c. oil, 4 t. bkg powder, 1 t. salt. I grind my own cornmeal and flour and I think this is pretty healthy... :) I serve them with scrambled eggs and fruit.