Menu

MP3 - itunes question

My husband and I both have ipods and have all of our music on itunes. I'm looking at getting my oldest an mp3 player for Christmas, and was looking at a Sansa after the recommendations here.

My question is, is a Sansa (or some other non-apple brand) compatible with itunes? Will we be able to load all the music already on itunes easily onto their mp3 player? Or, should I just stick with apple products?

We are very pleased with ours (I have a touch and my husband has an old nano), but I'm not sure I want to spend that much for my son. Thanks!

Well, you know, that Apple just announced a new iPod touch.

Which means the older generations of iPod touch will be on sale, and by older, I mean last year's model, or even the one prior to that, which are still perfectly amazing iPods.

While I agree with not wanting to spend as much, frankly the headache of trying to get other brands to work with iTunes would just not be worth it.

We use iTunes for kids' mp3s, and it is a pain but it's manageable. The only way I've gotten it to work is to have a separate login with iTunes, and set that one to import as mp3 instead of m4p - meaning anything that will go on both mine and theirs has to be imported from CD twice. I haven't tried to buy iTunes music and install on theirs, because formatting it seems too difficult (probably isn't but I'm intimidated to try).

Thanks everyone! I assumed that was the case and we'll probably try to stick with ipods. I have a macbook, so I don't have windows media player to download it to. I hadn't heard that they were coming out with a new touch ... I just bought mine earlier this year when it was new and love it! I know he really wants a touch, so getting an older one might be the way to go.