Menu

would you worry???

Sorry to bother all of you with another question concerning my ds7 wrist...but I can't decide if this is a big deal or not. To recap, he has a hairline fracture in one of the bones in his wrist. According to the -ray, it is started to heal on it's own (before we even saw a doctor), so instead of a cast, they put his arm in a splint that is held on by an ACE bandage. Becasue the ACE bandage is stretchy, he is able to move his arm around in it. He sort of twists and turns in (although he can't bend it down per se). He wants to write his school work, he wants to play the piano and is able to do it...but with moving his hand some. SO, my question is...do you think it is ok that he does those sorts of things as long as his hand is still in the splint (afterall, if it needed to be in a cast they would have done it, right?)...or am I seriously going to have to watch him every minute for the net 4 months making sure he isn't moving his wrist at all? Does that make sense?? I asked a lot of questions yesterday (this situation I didn't see coming) and the nurse was seeming to be a little annoyed with me so I don't want to call them unless I really need to.

I would definitely call and ask -- the heck with them acting annoyed -- that is their job and I wish some folks in those types of positions would receive training regarding appropriate communication with those of us on the other side of the desk. We aren't asking to annoy them -- we simply would like the information.

You should ask his doctor. I had a hairline fracture in my wrist once. I had a velcro splint that I was told to wear all day except for bathing. For the first few weeks, I also had an arm sling so that the wrist was truly immobile. Then I graduated to not having the sling and could start to use my wrist as the splint would allow.

I just called and spoke to the nurse (she was in a better mood today...maybe yesterday was just a bad day)....she is talking to the doctor and is getting back to me. I hope he doesn't have to be put in a cast.

dd10 was in a cast when she was 6. It was June and July. She had one of those plastic covers because we were at the pool every day -- the cast survived just fine -- she also had a hairline fracture...she is my 'picky' one and the cast did not hinder or bother her -- if it had, she would have told us.:glare:

where did you get the plastic cover for her arm? We plan to be in a hotel for 2 nights in a couple weeks and even if he is still in a splint (and not a cast) he can't take it off to swim...so we will have to cover it somehow.

The long skinny plastic bags that our newspaper comes in was perfect. Just rubber band or tape it down.

Don't be alarmed at having a cast. When I break bones, a cast makes me feel sooooo much better. Just having everything secured helps me not hurt as much.

The last time I broke something was my left wrist...I had two fractures (Ice skating) and was in a splint one week while the swelling receded, a cast six weeks. Then I wore an ace bandage for a few days or a brace if I were out gardening.

where did you get the plastic cover for her arm? We plan to be in a hotel for 2 nights in a couple weeks and even if he is still in a splint (and not a cast) he can't take it off to swim...so we will have to cover it somehow.

They make waterproof casts. If he needs a cast, just ask for waterproof. Showers, baths, swimming, just being a kid...no problem!

My rule of thumb is if it is not hurting and the splint is on go for it. Of course wait to hear back from the Dr, and if he needs a proper cast don't worry about it. The cast have never slowed ds down. The pharmacy also sells the bags to go over casts. I never bothered with them. when it was his arm I just wrapped it in a towel on made him keep it on the side of the tub while I washed his hair, and he washed himself with the other hand. No playtime in the tub during that time. With his leg he had a special bath bench to use. Again I just wrapped it in a towel to protect from any drops and get him clean and off. Being on the nech he wasn't even in the water he was above it so he wanted to just be clean and done because he got cold. We still played in the park, gone on all our field trips, did school, with his broken arm he still came to daycare with me everyday so I could work. There is no reason to restrict activity unless the Dr says to, let him write and play piano if he thinks he can, and is showing no signs of pain, and the splint is on properly.