Menu

Algebra 1 for an average 8th grade math student

buttercup

My daughter is an average math student. She used Saxon 8/7 for most of last year. At the end of last year, we switched over to TT Pre-Algebra because of the length of time math was taking her (up to 2 hours or more). She's not one to dawdle, and I knew she understood the material. It is just that she is very meticulous, writing everything out and trying to make sure her answers were perfect. I did not want math to consume her day, so that is why when my SIL offered to loan me her TT Pre-algebra book, I took her up on it. We used the latter half of the book, and starting this fall have been using it to help her with some areas that she has grown rusty in over the summer break. We are just about finishing up with it and I am trying to figure out my course with her. I had planned on using TT Algebra but have grown leary that maybe we should use something else. Any suggestions???

Edited by buttercup
something to add

We're doing pre-algebra right now, but I'm looking at several algebra options for next year: Jacobs Algebra book, Thinkwell online algebra, Kinetic Books online, Life of Fred algebra as a supplement (if you like a good "story" with your math). There are lots of great algebra options.

"Is it just the time factor that puts you off Saxon?"

Yes. It just takes too long for her. I need something that will teach her what she needs to know, but not so time-consuming for her. TT, I am afraid may fall too much to the other side of the spectrum for her.

"Is it just the time factor that puts you off Saxon?"

Yes. It just takes too long for her. I need something that will teach her what she needs to know, but not so time-consuming for her. TT, I am afraid may fall too much to the other side of the spectrum for her.

Not having dc of that age I may be wrong, but I think I've heard it said that Math does take a long time in high school. It might be worth asking on the High School board what other people think of that. It just seems a shame to switch programs if Saxon has hitherto worked well, with the exception of how long it takes.

Do you do everything in the Saxon lessons? We've used Saxon from K-6/5 and I've never done all of it. My dc understand the stuff well and I don't feel the need to do every last problem.

HTH!

I haven't taught algebra yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but in my research last year I found many options: Life of Fred, Kinetic Books, Thinkwell, Lial's, Saxon, BJU, Dolciani, Holt, Chalkdust, VideoText, Teaching Textbooks, and Jacobs. I finally narrowed it down to Lial's because it came highly recommended and had a video component that ds wanted. We'll be starting it next week as ds is just now finishing up LOF Pre-Algebra 2. I can't recommend it from personal experience, but it looks very good. You may want to search some of the publishers I've listed above on the high school board to explore the different options and see reviews from people who have actually used the courses. :tongue_smilie:

I have used Saxon Math from 2nd grade through Algebra 1.

We do every single solitary problem.

Algebra 1, no matter what book you use, is easily going to take 1 hour, but closer to 2.

My daughter used Saxon Algebra 1, switched to Lials for about 2 weeks (hated it) and finished up with Saxon.