Menu

Sign of a stroke or a pinched nerve?

ETA: Small update: FIL did speak to a nurse this evening, who does not think it's a stroke. Just didn't want to leave this thread hanging. :)

[sigh] ...My in laws are wonderful, sweet, caring people. But they *do not* go to the doctor unless physically carried by an ambulance, or forced by DH. MIL recently had a stroke and didn't go to the doc for several days - she said she thought her arm had just fallen asleep. She may or may not regain use of that arm.

Just found out that FIL's leg has been asleep since Sunday morning. Started at the foot and slowly crept up his leg. His leg is numb. He is diabetic, overweight, with a ton of other issues. He is trying to say it's a pinched nerve, but there is no pain.

Is this an ER trip tonight? Or is this a wait-until-morning-because-it's-been-going-on-since-Sunday deal?

Any thoughts? Am I way off base in wanting him to get to an ER to get evaluated tonight?

(I can't believe I'm asking here, but DH is on the phone and surfing the internet is not helping me at the moment.)

Edited by Spryte

ER tonight!

I had a pinched nerve, and the pain/tingling went away when I would stand up and got worse when I sat down. The ER doc said that was common with pinched nerves, but if changing position did not help then it was likely something worse. They did test on me anyway, and it was indeed a pinched nerve.

[ Just found out that FIL's leg has been asleep since Sunday morning. Started at the foot and slowly crept up his leg. His leg is numb. He is diabetic, overweight, with a ton of other issues. He is trying to say it's a pinched nerve, but there is no pain.

Is this an ER trip tonight? Or is this a wait-until-morning-because-it's-been-going-on-since-Sunday deal?

Any thoughts? Am I way off base in wanting him to get to an ER to get evaluated tonight?

.)

My mom had a history of TIA's, as did her mother and several maternal aunts. She'd get mad when we wanted her into the ER to get checked out too.

It doesn't sound like a stroke, but I'd still haul him off to get checked out ASAP.

Thanks a bunch. The validation really does help. I hate being the pushy DIL, who says to go to the ER at every little bump in the road, but for goodness sake, MIL *just* went through something like this, and we are all still dealing with the effects.

DH and I are waiting for a call back from FIL, after he talks to the on call doc. DH and I are kind of laughing and making bets on whether FIL will actually make the call. ... That sounds terrible, but DH and I have been through a lot and dark humor gets us through stress, what can I say?

Kristen (gardenmom5), I don't know what TIAs are... but can imagine that it was difficult worrying about your Mom, and trying to get someone to go to the ER (when they don't want to go) is hard. :grouphug:

Watching DH deal with getting his parents health care over the past few years has been eye-opening!

Thanks, AngieW! (I should have googled that myself, silly me!)

Here is my small update - FIL went to see the resident nurse (in laws live in a retirement home) and they have decided to wait till morning, when he will go see his regular doc. There's some swelling that makes the nurse think it's not likely a stroke. DH and I are laughing because, as we suspected, FIL didn't call his on call doc! But now we know there is a resident nurse, which we suspected before, but in laws would not confirm. :)

So... that little drama is over.

Thanks a bunch for the support here. Again, I can't believe I posted about it here, but needing quick support ... I did. :)

Kristen (gardenmom5), I don't know what TIAs are... but can imagine that it was difficult worrying about your Mom, and trying to get someone to go to the ER (when they don't want to go) is hard. :grouphug:

Watching DH deal with getting his parents health care over the past few years has been eye-opening!

transient ischemic attack - aka: mini-stroke. they do do damage that is cumulative, even though the overt effects generally last less than 24 hours. We eventually learned many of hers were actually originating in a blockage in her carotied artery.

we were so busy worrying about a major stroke (TIA often preceed a major stroke), she fooled us by having a heart attack. She fell in the park, and someone called 911 - the paramedics called me to convince her to go to the ER (legally, they couldn't force her) -she had a dislocated shoulder. While we were there, before they'd even treated her, why are we here and I want to go home.

thanks (I mean that sincerely) for the reminder of how much time her health took from my time - while I'm trying to get my son the services he needs. I did not have time to care for his needs and my moms at the same time. (my brother took over for four months. well, lets just say, the effluent hit the whirling device and things were FAR worse when I had to wrest it back. hey, she was happy when she died. she was happier and less stressed than she had been in YEARS when she died . . . . )

Edited by gardenmom5