Menu

update on my son's wrist

thanks to you ladies, I did call the doctor and they did x-ray his wrist and it was broken...I couldn't believe it. It is a hairline fracture and it actually had already started to heal (even though he has been bending it, playing roughly...bascially being a boy)....but they splinted it for 4 weeks and then we will need to get another x-ray. His activity has been limited...including writing and playing the piano. So, for those of you who have had 7 year old that have had a broken arm, what sort of things did you do to help them pass the time that they can't do as much as they are used to?? He is bummed that the trampoline and tackle football is off limits, and basketball is difficult to do (oh, did I mention that it is his dominent hand that he broke)...so that makes it more difficult. THANKS for any thoughts and tips.

Ds8 had a broken arm last fall right after he turned 7. We went about life as normal, but it was not his dominant hand so he could still color, draw, etc. 4 weeks will fly by quickly. Ds has an above teh elbow cast for the first 4 weeks and a below the arm for the next 3. We just finished 3 months in his leg cast with another month to go, so I guess we will both be headed back for xrays around the same time.

My daughter fell off a scooter and hit her hand hard--took her in the next day and she also had a fracture on her dominant.

We also just went about life as normal. She adjusted fairly quickly to most of her usual activities, including writing and attending ballet class with a cast on. When she had a writing assignment to create a superhero she went with Ballet Cast Girl. So if you ever see a superhero in a tutu with a hot pink arm cast taking villians out with kicks and cast whacks, you'll know who drew her to life.

Edited by Pippen

Oh, goodness! I'm sorry it's broken, but glad you took him in!

Ds was 8, I think(? -- is that bad that I'm not sure?) when he broke his hand, but it was his left, so not quite as daunting. I think I was more worried about it than necessary, actually. But a dominant hand would be more challenging, I'm sure.

My little Bub fractured his left arm (non-dominant) twice, once when he was 18 months and again last spring (almost 5). It is amazing how fast they heal! This time I was not prepared for the muscle atrophy that results from being in a cast. In hindsight I felt pretty silly about this since we had already been through it and I should know that if you don't use your muscles for an extended period they will get weak. He strengthened the muscles pretty quick. Our bodies are amazing!

I wouldn't be surprised if your ds quickly adapts to using his left hand more. Sorry I have no advice.

SJ

dd11 was 5 when she suffered a severe break while jumping on the trampoline. She was put in a cast, didn't heal right, then had to have the cast removed and had to have surgery to put two pins in each bone. :crying: She got to watch tv/movies and eat ice cream for a few days, but since she was in a cast, I didn't really have to watch her as closely.

If your son were in a cast you wouldn't have to worry so much! I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you! Tv, computer games, favorite books, legos?