Menu

This is why some mothers are driven to drink or abandon their teens.

2 angles are complementary. One angle is 15 degrees more than 2 times its complement. Find the measure of the angles.

WE HAVE ONLY BEEN ON THIS TOPIC FOR FOUR DAYS! I'm running out of ways to explain this. The 6th grader is now listening in and doing the problems that his 14 year old brother is whining about. It's all attitude. I'm convinced.

My own attitude is suffering. I need rum, lots of rum...I know better than to indulge this early in the afternoon.

In the immortal words of Captain Jack Sparrow: "Why is all the rum gone?"

Elizabeth: "Algebra."

He can solve linear equations; he can graph. Word problems and especially those related to geometry, will either kill him, me, or both of us.

Sigh.....if dh didn't have to do the church treasurer stuff tonight, you can absolutely bet some sulky teenage boy would be doing math with his father, whom I am currently faulting with damaged genetic contributions despite the man's 3.89 g.p.a as a math major.

It.cannot.possibly.be.my.genes. My chromosomes understand this and have explained it approximately 50 times.

Chocolate covered rum balls. That's what I need.

Faith

Chocolate covered rum balls. That's what I need.

I'd make them for you if I knew how.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I'm having algebra difficulties with my 14 yo as well. (But a girl) And coincidentally also have a math major husband. But I don't know what his gpa was. I think he graduated summa cum laudi.

Algebra...well mostly word problems are the bane of my existence. I understand my son's (ds, 12) frustration with them and because of that I have turned to my ds (15). He is an expert in word problems.

I have found that solution manuals are my best friend in these situations.

WE HAVE ONLY BEEN ON THIS TOPIC FOR FOUR DAYS! I'm running out of ways to explain this. The 6th grader is now listening in and doing the problems that his 14 year old brother is whining about. It's all attitude. I'm convinced.

My own attitude is suffering.

Yes this. My dd is repeating pre-algebra this year after whining all last year through it. She consistently told me that Saxon was the problem. Now we've switched to something else and she whines that this book is the issue. I've decided it is not the book. It is the child.

Yes this. My dd is repeating pre-algebra this year after whining all last year through it. She consistently told me that Saxon was the problem. Now we've switched to something else and she whines that this book is the issue. I've decided it is not the book. It is the child.

Oh, he got it done just a few minutes ago and without ANY assistance after I told him, "I'm sorry. I must move on to other things. You still have a brother waiting for me to help him study Latin vocabulary. Instead of going to the church gym to work out on the weight equipment tonight, you will have to sit in the church office with your dad and complete your math while he does payroll. He'll be able to answer questions in between authorizing payments."

He.got.every.single.problem.right.in.a.reasonable.time.

His parting shot, "Well, that was easier than I thought."

I refrained from shooting back, "If you had actually THOUGHT first instead of whining, rolling your eyes, sighing every two seconds, and declaring 'I hate math' with every third breath, we wouldn't have had this problem." Must bite tongue, must bite tongue.....sarcasm doesn't help anything. Rum balls...it's a good thing I don't have all the ingredients.

Faith

So my older dd is in college taking the slower version of the most advanced math class before calculus. SO does she call us about the difficult math questions- no, she gets those. What she does call us two days in a row is simple algebra one stuff. Dh was asking me what did I teach her. I tried to explain she got all A's in Algebra 1, she scored fine on the ACT test, she got through ALgebra 2 fine, so I had no idea what the problem was. Now when he gets back home, I will be able to bug him about what he taught her since he made her repeat things back to him about five times and the next day she called me with the same kind of questions.:lol:

I refrained from shooting back, "If you had actually THOUGHT first instead of whining, rolling your eyes, sighing every two seconds, and declaring 'I hate math' with every third breath, we wouldn't have had this problem." Must bite tongue, must bite tongue.....sarcasm doesn't help anything.

Faith

I need to memorize this. I'd love to use it sometime.

Yes this. My dd is repeating pre-algebra this year after whining all last year through it. She consistently told me that Saxon was the problem.

That exactly. Dd13 is finishing 8/7...but because her attitude stinks so badly about it...she has not scored well on tests...refuses to check work making ridiculous mistakes. I thought I was going to get an ulcer over it and finally decided that instead of moving on to Alg1...we will do Algebra 1/2. Not everyone does Algebra 1 in 8th right? It is so tempting to send her back to brick and mortar and make it someone else's frustration and wash my hands of it, but I know things will go worse there as they have the 'just keep moving through the book' approach regardless of understanding. It took her 6 hours last week to get through an assignment because of her attitude. We will survive....we WILL survive...will we survive? It is good to know I am not alone, in fact this thread and the other about having a bad day have really brightened my spirits...I think I can have a good day now.:lol:

Must bite tongue, must bite tongue.....sarcasm doesn't help anything.

Really? I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years.

I started in with the sarcasm when they are in ...maybe first grade?

I always say that the words "If you just stopped whining and did your work we would be done by now" should be tattooed on my forehead.

Ugh. I am convinced that they should do upper level math with 2nd graders and then do the easy stuff with the teens, as they lose brain cells to puberty.

My son is currently forgetting all the math he ever knew. Today I was grading a paper and he had that 115 plus 165 equals 180. Um, huh???????? That extra hundred came from where?????

Misery loves company. My soon to be 13 yo is driving me batty. I hate the pituitary gland for turning my intelligent daughter into an argumentative air head.

I am now firmly convinced that middle school teachers should be canonized.

Hang in there and if you find protein rich, dietetic chocolate rum balls, please do share where you found them.

Oh, he got it done just a few minutes ago and without ANY assistance after I told him, "I'm sorry. I must move on to other things. You still have a brother waiting for me to help him study Latin vocabulary. Instead of going to the church gym to work out on the weight equipment tonight, you will have to sit in the church office with your dad and complete your math while he does payroll. He'll be able to answer questions in between authorizing payments."

He.got.every.single.problem.right.in.a.reasonable.time.

His parting shot, "Well, that was easier than I thought."

I refrained from shooting back, "If you had actually THOUGHT first instead of whining, rolling your eyes, sighing every two seconds, and declaring 'I hate math' with every third breath, we wouldn't have had this problem." Must bite tongue, must bite tongue.....sarcasm doesn't help anything. Rum balls...it's a good thing I don't have all the ingredients.

Faith

I'm just glad it isn't just my house that this happens in. The other day we had tears, screaming, and throwing things over math that was "too hard" and he was "too stupid to do math". I finally left the room and took a shower to calm down. When I got out he had totally finished it. Apparantley there is no fun in whining when there isn't an audience to appreciate it. Once he stopped whining he had no problems at all.

Or yesterday, when, after a week of math struggles, I made him read the instructions/lesson out loud to me. Then he did the problems easily. He was shocked at how easy it was, and did not correlate that with the fact that he read the directions/lesson for once!!

Misery loves company. My soon to be 13 yo is driving me batty. I hate the pituitary gland for turning my intelligent daughter into an argumentative air head.

I am now firmly convinced that middle school teachers should be canonized.

Hang in there and if you find protein rich, dietetic chocolate rum balls, please do share where you found them.

Amen! I had a middle school math teacher named Ms Walsh and her name should have been Saint Walsh...anyone who can put up with 8th grade algebra students and teach them ANYTHING at all should be assured a place of honor.

It's all because this boy belongs to me! I used to teach middle school general music and had one period in which I had a class of 27 males WHO DID NOT WANT TO BE THERE and three females. I had a lot of fun with that class. So, somewhere deep down, I know that I can relate to young teenage boys - certainly the 13 year old male offspring of my husband (I'm still wondering if I should take any blame for "the boys") does not give me this trouble and he likes algebra. Just one. The one God put on this earth to teach me something and whatever that is, I wish I would hurry up and learn it! :D

Faith