Menu

Need recommendation on writing

Guest studycertification

Guest studycertification

Hello,

I would like to improve the essay/descriptive/expository writing of my Grade 3 and Grade 5.

Can you please recommend the top books which can improve their writing skills?

Thanks

Hello,

I would like to improve the essay/descriptive/expository writing of my Grade 3 and Grade 5.

Can you please recommend the top books which can improve their writing skills?

Thanks

I recommend you have a look at Susan Wise Bauer's Writing With Ease to begin with. And if your grade 5 student is beyond that, have a look at her Writing With Skill samples (see the sticky thread on the Logic Stage board).

Evan-Moor produces gently-paced books on those topics. I don't have a 5th grader yet, but we did use the Paragraph Writing one last year with my 3rd grader with good success. He doesn't pick up easily in reading how to do his writing. It stepped through finding topic sentences, keeping a paragraph all on topic, writing on a given topic sentence and then culminating in writing your own paragraph with appropriate topic and supporting details. Very very thorough and explicit the whole way through, which is what my son needed that year.

They have Story writing as well I know, and probably a 5-paragraph essay one too, so those might be what you would like.

I asked a similar question for 4th grade a while back too and got recommendations for Evan Moor. Teacher's Filebox is what I finally did and we are working through what they have on there for 4th grade ... good value for me.

Edited - we do use SWB's WWE as the previous poster suggested. These teach looking for central themes, doing summaries, dictation etc., but do not cover the writing you are describing very explicitly if you need that right now. Her philosophy does not cover those independent writing skills (focusing instead on on summaries/narration) in the grammar stage so won't teach those at all to your 3rd grader (not sure about WWS in 5th grade as we are only on WWE4 right now).

Edited by WeeBeaks