Menu

Music Therapy - Calming list for those that wanted it.

Hi everyone,

I've put together a list of my favorites. This is a beginning point. There is a lot more out there so when you get bored with this playlist, PM and I'll work up a second one.

I hope everyone read my disclaimer in the other thread about the Pearl's.

Oh, and for those of you that will use listening therapy as a calming agent in your home let me make this suggestion. If your child has sleep disturbances and this includes being unable to sleep in the dark - ie. needing a nightlight, I highly recommend replacing the standard nightlight that plugs into an outlet, with twinkle lights hung over the bed to stimulate stars at night. Nightlights per se give off an "other worldly" or unnatural glow that is actually eerie and unsettling to some children as they emerge from sleep into a semi-awake state. If they need to comfort themselves to go back to sleep, many times their eyes over focus on the "glow" across the room which then stimulates the brain which in turn makes them ever more wakeful. It then becomes more difficult to fall back to sleep. Let them sleep "under the stars", so to speak.

Chopin - Nocturne op 27. No. 1

Chopin – Etude op. 10 no.3

Chopin – Nocturne op. 55 no.1

Chopin - prelude in E minor Op. 28 no.4

Chopin – Prelude op.28 no.15 (The Raindrop Prelude)

Debussey – Clair De Lune

Debussey – The Girl with the Flaxen Hair

Debussey – Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun

Tomaso Albinoni – Adagio in G minor

Beethoven – Adagio in C Major no.3 from Sonata op.2

Beethoven – From Sonata Pathetique, Cantible or Adagio (one of the most relaxing pieces ever!)

Beethoven – The first movement of the “Moonlight†Sonata – 1st movement only, the others are agents of dissention.

Mozart – Violin Sonata in G major KV 379 movement no.1

Mozart – Divertimento in D Major KV 205 – Largo

Mozart – piano concerto in A major KV 488 movement no.2 the Largo

J.S. Bach – Air on a G String

J.S. Bach – Prelude & Fugue in C Major from the Well Tempered Clavier

J.S. Bach – Adagio BWV 974

J.S. Bach – Adagio/Movement 2 from Brandenburg Concerto no.6 Adagio ma non Tanto

Mendelssohn - From Songs without Words – Elegy Op.85 no.4

Mendelssohn – From Songs without Words – Larghetto Op. 8 no.3

Edward MacDowell – To a Wild Rose – op. 51 no.1

Schubert – Nocturne in E. Flat Op.148 for piano, cello, and violin

Camille Saint-Saens – “The Swan†from Carnival of Animals

Erik Satie – Gymnopedie No.1

Rachmaninoff – Prelude in D Major Op. 23 no. 4 (I’d send everyone a copy of me playing it in college at my sophomore recital, but I cannot find the recording anywhere.)

Handel – Largo from the opera Xerxes (this is an instrumental only piece)

Pachalbel – Canon in D – listen to several versions and find one that is not “pushing the envelope†for tempo…a more laid back performer. Some of them take the middle section with the 16th note runs a little too “seriouslyâ€. It’s supposed to give more a sweet feeling of gently falling water not rapids and some renditions really speed up this section though the tempo is not supposed to change from the first variation forward.

This is just a beginning. You could probably use iTunes or Amazon downloads to create more than one cd from this list and when you get bored I can post some more options.

For fun listening, the kind of listening you want to do for brain development and lively, but appropriate behavior – I can recommend Leonard Bernstein’s narrations of Camille Saint-Saens Carnival of Animals, and Peter & the Wolf (Prokoviev), and Issak Perlman’s “Classical Zooâ€.

Faith

I use Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata when I write. It quiets my thoughts so I can focus on the my creativity. It's amazing to compare my production between the times I have it plugged in and the times I don't.

Oh yes, the Baroque and Classical era composers are great for ordering our thoughts because brains love patterns, and those eras are fraught with heavily patterned music. I find that for concentration, I can handle most romantic era music as well, but except for Debussey, Satie, and a couple of others, post-romantic and contemporary classical gets too "experimental" or unpatterned to help my poor brain. Atonal music just makes my brain go wonky even though I appreciate its complexity.

Faith

Thank you so much, Faith! I can't wait to try this. Two questions:

1. What are "twinkle lights?" They sound lovely and magical.

2. Is there anywhere I can find these songs for free? I don't have the budget to go buy a ton of CDs right now. Would Amazon downloads be the cheapest way?

and putting up twinkle lights (I'm guessing you just mean the tiny white Christmas tree lights?) over a child's bed is genius!

Christmas lights---that makes sense! I was trying to figure out what twinkle lights were. Now, would you want ones that actually twinkle or ones that stay steadily lit?

Christmas lights---that makes sense! I was trying to figure out what twinkle lights were. Now, would you want ones that actually twinkle or ones that stay steadily lit?

Either one. If you can find the actual twinkling ones, they can be interesting and soothing to certain children. But, I wouldn't necessarily choose them for a child that has visual disturbances or is prone to seizures.

Oh, also for anyone working with a child that has neurological impairment of any kind, you may see improvements in behavior if you replace all fluorescent bulbs with incandescent full spectrum lighting and all lights that cast a "yellow" glow with full spectrum LED or incandescent and then put them on dimmers so you can keep the light strength a little under full strength. Glaring light and flickering light (some neurological impairments cause the brain to be unable to ignore the flickering of fluorescent bulbs) can wreck havoc focusing abilities as well as cause seizures.

This is another reason that twinkle, Christmas lights are so good as nightlights. It's a natural, soft, not too bright, steady light.

Faith

If you do a search on Napster for "relaxing", ther is an album called "the Ultimate Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe". It has 24 songs, many that you mentioned. I use this for myself on those days when I need to unwind. :).

Thanks for the list!

Brenda

Does this one have a Fugue number? I think I probably have it, but my cd doesn't name the pieces well; it just gives numbers.

I had several of these in my iTunes library already. So now I have a "calming" playlist and the 12 yo has directions to come play it when I'm reviewing the 13 yo's math lesson tomorrow. [You might get credit for him surviving to the end of the week.]

I noticed that several of these are adagios. Is that a more peaceful piece of music generally?

Does this one have a Fugue number? I think I probably have it, but my cd doesn't name the pieces well; it just gives numbers.

I had several of these in my iTunes library already. So now I have a "calming" playlist and the 12 yo has directions to come play it when I'm reviewing the 13 yo's math lesson tomorrow. [You might get credit for him surviving to the end of the week.]

I noticed that several of these are adagios. Is that a more peaceful piece of music generally?

Try BWV 846 or 547. I think 547 is his prelude/fugues for organ, so I'm pretty sure it is 846.

Adagios tend to have that slower tempo - below 72 beats per minute - in order to lower heart rates. Andante can run as high as around 88...too high.

Faith

OK, so I'm searching for these songs on mp3 from Amazon so I can download them, and I'm having trouble. I either can't find a piece with the exact name you listed but can find something similar, or I find the exact name but there are so many choices! I guess because they are performed by different people? Will they all be piano pieces, or could they be on a different instrument? Does it matter?

Can you tell I don't know much about classical music? :o

OK, so I'm searching for these songs on mp3 from Amazon so I can download them, and I'm having trouble. I either can't find a piece with the exact name you listed but can find something similar, or I find the exact name but there are so many choices! I guess because they are performed by different people? Will they all be piano pieces, or could they be on a different instrument? Does it matter?

Yes, part of the problem is that these songs have been played by gazzilions of pianists, chamber groups, instrumentalists, etc. through the years. The Chopin pieces and the Debussey are definitely piano pieces. The prelude and fugue in c major by Bach are also piano/harspichord pieces. Others are instrumental, or instrumental and piano. If I can possibly carve out the time, I'll go out to Amazon some time in the next two days and try to match a worthy performance/arrangement with each piece so that you won't have to guess.

Sorry about that. Sometimes my classical brain runs ahead and I forget that the rest of the world may not have a clue what I am referring to...:001_huh: I've got several things on my plate while trying to get ready for this big science event on Friday night, but if I can rope the boys into doing some prep work for me while still getting all their school work done, I might have a chance to come up with a download list. If not, I promise to get to it Sunday afternoon or Monday.

Faith

Yes, part of the problem is that these songs have been played by gazzilions of pianists, chamber groups, instrumentalists, etc. through the years. The Chopin pieces and the Debussey are definitely piano pieces. The prelude and fugue in c major by Bach are also piano/harspichord pieces. Others are instrumental, or instrumental and piano. If I can possibly carve out the time, I'll go out to Amazon some time in the next two days and try to match a worthy performance/arrangement with each piece so that you won't have to guess.

Sorry about that. Sometimes my classical brain runs ahead and I forget that the rest of the world may not have a clue what I am referring to...:001_huh: I've got several things on my plate while trying to get ready for this big science event on Friday night, but if I can rope the boys into doing some prep work for me while still getting all their school work done, I might have a chance to come up with a download list. If not, I promise to get to it Sunday afternoon or Monday.

Faith

Oh, I'm not going to ask you to do that! That's a lot of work. I mean, if you make a download list, I'll definitely utilize it, but please don't feel like you have to. It's not your fault that I'm musically challenged! :lol: I was hoping there was some quick answer, like "Anything performed by this guy is good," or "Here's the name of a series," or something. It's not that easy, though?

You're probably going to start charging me for your services! :lol:

Sorry about that. Sometimes my classical brain runs ahead and I forget that the rest of the world may not have a clue what I am referring to...:001_huh:

Faith

You think in music! I love it! I miss being surrounded by music-speak. I'm a horn player, and my husband thinks of music largely in terms of lyrics... Not even the same language!

Some of them were originally/alternately titled in French. I found one Debussy titled as La Fille Aux Cheveux De Lin (Book 1, L117).

Of the pieces I already had in iTunes, a couple of them came from The Musical World of James Galway (famous flute player who is accompanied by other instruments) and The Greatest Hits of the Classics (vol 2 and 4).

If you do a search on Napster for "relaxing", ther is an album called "the Ultimate Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe". It has 24 songs, many that you mentioned. I use this for myself on those days when I need to unwind. :).

Thanks for the list!

Brenda

I found "The Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe" (30 songs and doesn't seem to have a lot of overlap with the "Ultimate" title). For the price, a good way of filling in the holes with what I didn't already have.

I also stumbled on "Readers' Digest Music: the Classical Study Hall" which has several of the titles Faith listed. Both of these were on iTunes. It may be less expensive to buy a couple big collections of classics and pluck out the titles you want for a calming playlist than to try to buy them separately.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you! DD has to have music and her "star factory" to sleep. This just might make my life easier, as I've just been randomly selecting my favorite "relaxing" music from the 70s & 80s. Classical would be so much better!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...