Menu

Integrating History and English articles? books?

My niece is in college preparing to teach History and English. She is doing a research paper on the positives and negatives of integrating History and English and wondered if I had ever heard of the idea:). She wanted to know if I knew of any books or articles that talk about it. I mentioned the Well Trained Mind of course! Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

My niece is in college preparing to teach History and English. She is doing a research paper on the positives and negatives of integrating History and English and wondered if I had ever heard of the idea:). She wanted to know if I knew of any books or articles that talk about it. I mentioned the Well Trained Mind of course! Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I know that I took a course back in '98 on integration of literature and social studies. I think it's an idea that has been around for a while.

However, that was at the cusp of the standards movement and before NCLB. I'm not sure what effect that had on integrated lessons. Could have resulted in more lessons that were integrated (trying to meet as many standards with one lesson as possible) or fewer (as more detailed and specific goals led to less use of trade novels in class).

Have her search terms like: curriculum integration, literature across curriculum, connecting social studies and literature, integration of literature and social studies, integrating literature in content areas, interdisciplinary approaches or thematic teaching.

The links in the above are to some sites with good bibliographies or articles/reviews that I found searching.

HTH

I don't know of an article, but my friend's dd's high school does this. Their freshman lit and history are combined - it's a two-class-period block, and is team taught by both a history and English teacher. They call it "Roots of Thought" (it's ancient/medieval time period).

I went and looked up the course description - they actually have interdisciplinary history/lit for freshman through junior year. The next two years are called "The American Dream" and "Global Studies".

If your niece is interested, I could PM you the link to their website.

Honestly, I think it sounds like a great program!

Sebastian - Thanks so much for the help, search terms, and links you have given.

Matroyshka - Those courses do sound great. I googled the 3 course names and found the site

1togo - I hadn't heard of classical historian! Thanks

Samantha -I had wondered aobut Charlotte Mason. I wonder if her books discuss this. I've got a few Beechick books-I'll look there.

Now I need to keep from reading all this and get back to schooling my kids!

Kendall

If she's thinking of public schools, I know that the schools in my city integrate the two subjects for a big History Day project in about 8th grade. They are able to give credit in the two different subjects for the one project. You might look at the website and then google for different lesson plans?

http://www.nhd.org/AnnualTheme.htm

Julie