Menu

crockpot and beans ~

I soak the beans in the crock pot overnight and then add diced tomatoes, diced onion, corn, rice, cut up sausage and plenty of salt and cumin. I don't have exact amounts. I just add things until the crockpot is almost full and the proportions seem right to me. :)

Do you add salt before or after cooking? I've heard both ways. 4 hours on high or longer on low?

I don't pre-soak mine.

I add a few cloves of garlic and cook on high for an hour or two. Then I turn to low, add a hot pepper, cook another couple hours. Then I add cut up cilantro and green onion, salt, pepper, keep cooking until done. Since I don't presoak, my time will be different than yours.

Sometimes I do ham hock with them, or bacon (yum), or sausage. That goes in at the beginning, with the garlic. If I'm going to add ground beef I cook it on the stove and add at the end. ditto for cheese. Topped with cheese is very very yum. Any kind.

I also like to mix in rice (midway through cooking), or shredded kale, and mix up the beans. Red, black, brown is a good mix. Or throw in some split peas. Pretty much anything goes, really.

Funny you mention this...just finished trying beans again for the last time. I live at 9500 ft. I cooked these beans for 1 1/2 days after soaking them overnight and they were still not done. (Everyone here uses a pressure cooker, but I don't have one.)

So disappointing! I love beans...Guess I'll just have to stick with canned.

Funny you mention this...just finished trying beans again for the last time. I live at 9500 ft. I cooked these beans for 1 1/2 days after soaking them overnight and they were still not done. (Everyone here uses a pressure cooker, but I don't have one.)

I live at 8500 ft. Is that why my beans are never fully cooked in the crockpot? I gave up as well.

I live at 8500 ft. Is that why my beans are never fully cooked in the crockpot I gave up as well.

I'm no expert on high altitude cooking, but my understanding is beans take forever to cook when one has very hard water, and that those living in high mountain elevations typically have very hard mineral laden water.

You might try using filtered water and see how that works. No guarantees, but worth a try.

Bill

I'm no expert on high altitude cooking, but my understanding is beans take forever to cook when one has very hard water, and that those living in high mountain elevations typically have very hard mineral laden water.

You might try using filtered water and see how that works. No guarantees, but worth a try.

Bill

I am at 5500 feet and have found this to be true. It is a bummer, though, because me meat-loving DH likes beans and is willing to eat more of them and less meat but the beans just tear him up. I have to cook they quite a bit longer than the recipe says. I did have better results in cooking time when I sprouted the beans first. It too about 4 days, though, so prep time requires a bit more thought.

A real easy one is this: After soaking, drain, rinse, and then put a much smaller amount of water back into slow cooker to cook them in. Add a whole jar of salsa and one whole onion chopped into quarters. Let it cook most of the day, adding water only if it is looking dry. When ready to eat, salt to taste and mash them a bit, onion and all -- refried beans! Good over rice or in a tortilla.

I am at 5500 feet and have found this to be true. It is a bummer, though, because me meat-loving DH likes beans and is willing to eat more of them and less meat but the beans just tear him up. I have to cook they quite a bit longer than the recipe says. I did have better results in cooking time when I sprouted the beans first. It too about 4 days, though, so prep time requires a bit more thought.

Did you ever try using filtered water?

Bill

I just went online to find a decent recipe for beans in the crock pot so this is pretty funny and timely. I have a bag of black beans instead of pinto does that matter. What does soaking them do? I've never done this before.

Soaking softens the beans. It also (if well rinsed after the soak) helps remove most of the indigestible elements that cause some people gastric distress.

Some heath advocates also believe that by soaking (and beginning the sprouting process) one is making the food come "alive" and that it increases its healthful qualities.

Bill

Also, for those that are having trouble getting your beans to cook nicely, soak for 2 hrs. not only in filtered water, but also add a tsp of sea salt AND a couple of tablespoons of whey. You can get whey from plain, greek yogurt. It is the watery substance that separates from the yogurt. Whey contains digestive enzymes - good bacteria - and it will help break down your beans.

You will notice after a few hours that a foam or bubbles will develop on the surface. This is phytase, a substance contained in beans that is hard for humans to digest and causes a tremendous amount of gassiness. Skim it off ever so often over that 24 hr. period. Chances are, your beans will cook up nice and tender in the crockpot after this.

So, that I can have dump and go beans (I eat them a lot to help with my anemia issues), I pressure can beans every year. I soak them as I described above for 24 hrs., put them on the stove with filtered water to heat through/simmer, place a 1/2 tsp of sea salt per pint jar and one tsp. of lemon juice (another agent that helps break down the beans), fill to 1 in. of the brim (many canning books say 1/2 in. but, I like the extra room because are notorious for popping up, getting underneath the lid, and failing to seal...once I started leaving a little more headspace, I never had a single jar fail to seal), and process at 10 lbs. pressure according to the altitude chart in the Ball canning book. The higher the alititude, the longer the canning time. Chances are your modern canning book lists Lima beans and not pinto, black, or kidney beans, but the processing time is the same for all four of those beans. They are all low acid foods.

Then I have them to add to soups and mexican dishes whenever I want and they only need to be heated through...I mix salsa and cheese with pintos for mexican food, but we even like them with pasta sauce! I dump my 1/2 pint jelly jars of black beans on salads....yum, yum.

Faith

• 2 weeks later...
Did you ever try using filtered water?

Bill

My understanding is it makes a tremendous difference.

Let me know if you try it and it works (or fails).

Bill

I soaked in filtered water and cooked in filtered water. YES! It still took over 3 hours to cook(altitude, maybe) but there were no hard beans left. DH commented on how good they were and he had no problems after.

It used to take a lot longer than 3 hours and there were still some uncooked beans.

Thanks, Bill!

I soaked in filtered water and cooked in filtered water. YES! It still took over 3 hours to cook(altitude, maybe) but there were no hard beans left. DH commented on how good they were and he had no problems after.

It used to take a lot longer than 3 hours and there were still some uncooked beans.

Thanks, Bill!

I love it when the mixed-blessing of having a mind stuffed with often useless trivia actually serves a purpose :D

Enjoy those beans!

Bill