Menu

Just gave dd an "F" for not following directions

In READING of all things!!!! REALLY?!?! I have to actually give her a zero to get through to her?!?:banghead: She has 3 assignments for last week that I'm waiting on because she did not follow directions and I had to give them back to her to re-do, or finish. And then, she turned in this weeks assignment and did the exact same things as she did on the other assignments?!?!!!!

I swear, every teacher in my local school district should be sending me flowers and THANKING me for not sending this kid to school.:cursing:

ARGHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grades mean nothing to my 3rd grader. Really. I'm the one affected by them.

Being late to a soccer scrimmage, because I made her stay behind and re-do work? THAT means something to her.

ETA: I just saw you also have a 6th grader. If that's the one you're talking about, I have no knowledge of the pre-teen girl. I have enough troubles with my 8 year old. :)

:grouphug: for you and :grouphug: for her. Buy her a highlighter, and have have her highlight the important parts of the directions under your guidance. I have one that can't read/follow simple instructions either.

:iagree: I had one like this too. She did not process directions well, which was part of the reason we pulled her out of public school. If it's your 6th grader, it is normal for some kids at this age to struggle with organization and getting things done. Their brains are growing all kinds of new connections and sloughing off old ones, and they just turn to mush for a little while. Some kids navigate this time better than others.

I spent almost a year directly teaching how to follow directions: How to break them down, how to prioritize, how to re-check to make sure she was still on track.

Cat

:iagree: I had one like this too. She did not process directions well, which was part of the reason we pulled her out of public school. If it's your 6th grader, it is normal for some kids at this age to struggle with organization and getting things done. Their brains are growing all kinds of new connections and sloughing off old ones, and they just turn to mush for a little while. Some kids navigate this time better than others.

I spent almost a year directly teaching how to follow directions: How to break them down, how to prioritize, how to re-check to make sure she was still on track.

Cat

Sorry, I was so angry I forgot to say it IS my 6th grader. Gee, how did everyone know?:lol:

This is a good idea, I think I'll use it! We've been homeschooling from the beginning and I just feel like in 6th grade she needs to be taking more responsibility for her work. The instructions in this case are not only in her workbook, but written out for her in Homeschool Tracker. DH and I have discussed it, and we feel she needs to be writing her work out in a homework notebook. I've bought one for her every year for the last 2 years, but she doesn't use it. Today, I asked her every time an assignment was given, "Did you write it down in your notebook?" Then, she would. I'm hoping this weans her off of Homeschool Tracker Assignment sheets. We'll see.

What's adding to our frustration is she takes no pride in her work, and is in that normal, mid-school phase of get it done as fast as possible. We have decided to ban TV, video games and computer games during the school week because of this. Today was the first day, I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.:willy_nilly:

Thanks for letting me vent!

Dorinda

Ugh, I have a 6th grader too. Doesn't follow or even read the directions. I made him read them outloud to me today on his math sheet. He was AMAZED at how much easier math was. He couldn't figure out why. I finally pointed out that he had read the lesson first. HA!

Grades mean nothing to my 3rd grader. Really. I'm the one affected by them.

Being late to a soccer scrimmage, because I made her stay behind and re-do work? THAT means something to her.

ETA: I just saw you also have a 6th grader. If that's the one you're talking about, I have no knowledge of the pre-teen girl. I have enough troubles with my 8 year old. :)

When my oldest was in 3rd grade, I was right there with you! I don't know what happens between 4th and 6th grade, but somewhere in there they take less pride in their work, yet they care more about their grades. I remember going through that, and I'm watching my 6th grader go through that.

Hello!!!! Doesn't she know one of the reasons we homeschool is so she won't go through that phase?!? Everyone knows homeschoolers LOVE school, LOVE learning, work TOTALLY independent, and NEVER fight their parents/teachers about school work! Gosh, why won't she get on board already?:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda