Menu

American Girl Books

Guest atswenson

Guest atswenson

I have heard that Costco has their American Girl books along with the small doll in stores again and I was thinking of getting another one for my daughter. However, I have heard that some stories are more positive than others specifically with respect to Christian family values. We have gotten Molly and Felicity and for the most part I was ok with those stories. Some required discussion with my almost 6 year old daughter with regards to behavior I did not agree with. I know there may be many differing opinions but could I get some feedback on which stories are more positive in nature? Thank you very much!

My girls really enjoyed Kaya. They learned about boasting and humility. I thought they were wonderful, but we aren't religious, so I'm not sure that anything would have specifically stood out.

The only thing in Kaya that was a little much for my girls was the "whipping woman." It's an elder responsible for disciplining the children. When Kaya gets in trouble, she has to lay on her stomach and the whipping woman uses a willow branch to whip the backs of her legs. It was a little intense!

We aren't religious either, so I might not pick up on some things that would be important to you. We've read Felicity, Samantha, Kirsten, Kit and part of Rebecca. Rebecca is Jewish, Kirsten I believe is Christian since there is a lot of attention paid to her celebrating St. Lucia's day, and I don't remember religion being discussed in the other books but it's been a while. It seems like all of the girls sneak out of the house against their parents' wishes at some point or have some secret that they are keeping, but ultimately they get their parents involved to solve the problem.

It seems like all of the girls sneak out of the house against their parents' wishes at some point or have some secret that they are keeping, but ultimately they get their parents involved to solve the problem.

Yes, we've noticed that the _____ Saves the Day books have the heroine making a mistake and then learning from it.

We're using the Portraits of American Girlhood unit studies to supplement our American History studies. That is written from a Christian POV and might be something you'd find useful.